IGNORED

Aphex Release on Nina Kraviz' Trip Label?

Richie Sombrero

When I first heard this track, I was told it was part of a tape of ICBYD outtakes - as previously mentioned, it was part of the 94 Peel session, so it stands to reason this was a track from that era (ICBYD tracks date back as far as 1990). I would love to hear a complete collection of all his tracks from 1990-1995 - I feel this was Richard's most creative and productive era by far and since.

When I first heard this track, I was told it was part of a tape of ICBYD outtakes - as previously mentioned, it was part of the 94 Peel session, so it stands to reason this was a track from that era (ICBYD tracks date back as far as 1990). I would love to hear a complete collection of all his tracks from 1990-1995 - I feel this was Richard's most creative and productive era by far and since.

Aah, glad my memory didn't completely abandon me. Thanks for clearing up! Wonder how much of that tape got uploaded on sc :)

Also:

Interesting... I went to YouTube to find P-String to put here in context, and look what the uploader's name is:

Coincidence? I think not.

Is the ninaupload YT Nina Kraviz official?

P String been on there a while (with a few others).

lol, no. Not even close.

:dadjoke:

Aah, glad my memory didn't completely abandon me. Thanks for clearing up! Wonder how much of that tape got uploaded on sc :)

Also:

Interesting... I went to YouTube to find P-String to put here in context, and look what the uploader's name is:

Coincidence? I think not.

Is the ninaupload YT Nina Kraviz official?

P String been on there a while (with a few others).

lol, no. Not even close.

:dadjoke:

LOL - shows how much I keep up on this thread!

Amen to that. I've always felt the same about that era.

why exactly? For me it's the era I listen to the least :-o

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I always thought it sounded very much in the vein of ICBYD. This is also my favorite era and would love to hear what else there is from it. I was hoping there'd be some in the soundcloud dump but none of it really touched on that sound IMO.

Edit: HAh just realized I already commented on this already.

why exactly? For me it's the era I listen to the least :-o

Hmmm where to even begin? If talking about ICBYD : It's the perfect mixture of organic and synthetic, avant garde and repetition, light and dark, harsh and lush/dreamy. Experimental without being overly complex. It's just straight up otherworldy, as if channeled from some strange alien planet. Love every single sound on it. For me it's perfect, an exquisite audio scvlptvre - 11 out of 10. Quite possibly my favorite album of all time. Words can't do it justice actually.

I've always wondered what he would have done next had he not become influenced by his mates, namely Squarepusher...which his music after this obviously was.

I'm fine if others don't like it. I actually don't want them to, so it can still be somewhat my own little secret haha.

The On ep also has the sound of that era, which I also love. Just picked that up on vinyl even though I already have it on cd.

For me his most otherwordly and alien peak/zenith is Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, sounds like prolapse from another dimension lol. I love ICBYD era too but it sounds more oldfashioned and dated to me.

Hey to each their own. To me tracks like Bucephalus Bouncing Ball are little more than novelty but don't offer the deeper vistas of musical expression of his earlier work. As far as being "dated or old fashioned" LOL, It's absolutely timeless music. I like things that sound both modern and ancient at the same time.

I've been listening to ICBYD since 1995 so it withstands the test of time exceptionally well. In that same time period I've grown out of plenty of things I used to love. Lets see if you're still listening your favorite tracks in 20 years.

But on the come to daddy releases I do really like this one....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLHtV_S2HZw

....and flim.

Ones taste music is really not up for debate. I'm just saying fine art transcends time. People still love paintings by Dali, Bosch etc..

Though I don't believe it's always 100% subjective.

'90-'95 is my favourite stuff too, with considerable interest in '05-'15. I admire the stuff between those years and like a lot of it, but for me it's maybe a bit too clean, polished and intricate. Less in the moment and more in the complexity. But y'know, it's all fucking good really.

Guest bitroast

Beucephalus would sound like an experiment to me without lasting replay value if it weren't for the hangable breakbeat drums and banging acid-y riffs that occupy most of the track as per most of the mid 90s afx tracks :^)

• 1 month later...

Anyone get this yet? I'm curious how the audio quality of the commercial release compares to what Richard put up on SoundCloud (and if there were any edits/cleanup to the commercial release).

Anyone get this yet? I'm curious how the audio quality of the commercial release compares to what Richard put up on SoundCloud (and if there were any edits/cleanup to the commercial release).

Here you are, some really exciting waveforms and spectral things:

http://imgur.com/a/x0eIt

#1 is the soundcloud mp3

#2 is the kraviz flac

#3 soundcloud mp3

#4 kraviz flac

To my ears they sound exactly the same, no editing or anything, but the kraviz release is limited and as a consequence a couple of db's louder. You can see that there is some additional top end/distortion but it's, like, masked behind the banging tune and probably out of my hearing range anyway.

Archived