IGNORED

EU

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a lot of old people in the uk that still think the UK is this powerhouse of industry. We aren't. Thx thatcher.

Im pro EU because they make us much greener and have better human rights. They also give shit loads of money towards arts, schools, our roads.... the list goes on.

^ that small noisy minority of which you speak seems to be quite active and growing in numbers around these parts.

Certainly seen plenty of Leave / Out campaign posters around the place already and not one Stay / In

Theres a lot of old people in the uk that still think the UK is this powerhouse of industry. We aren't. Thx thatcher.

Im pro EU because they make us much greener and have better human rights. They also give shit loads of money towards arts, schools, our roads.... the list goes on.

We pay more in EU fees than they hand us back. That is a fact.

If we left, and we kept the same quota of money going to out schools, art projects and roads, we would have a sizeable surplus that could be used on helping our homeless, hospitals or forests.

And don't get me started on the roads - what a state they are in especially around my may. More potholes than actual road in places.

EU is a hot mess. Huge wasteful bureaucracy where every member state is only there to look after their own interest, the main leader being Germany, who pretty much dictates how every member state should be running their economy while making sure any capital fleeing ends up in Germany. There is no sign of European solidarity. The only solidarity is from the ruling elite who are there to trample on worker's right and see to that the banks and finance markets get their share of the wealth stripped from the backs of the worker. I guess the EU is good for each national elite class, who after ruining their own countries economy can always find a safe and cushy job for a six figure salary at one of the many EU offices in Brussels. And seeing how the EU handled the refugee crisis all this haughty grand standing about human rights, shared responsibility and whatever else feel good thing the EU claims to be supporting is just hot air.

And seeing how the EU handled the refugee crisis all this haughty grand standing about human rights, shared responsibility and whatever else feel good thing the EU claims to be supporting is just hot air.

aye, this.... well said

I don't do politics on watmm, but I do (believe it or not) have an interest in the different directions the world turns. My personal political views are neither left or right, I find myself a leftie when confronted by stringent conservative views and I find myself veering sharply to the right when confronted by airy-fairy lefties. I dont have time for either, I can't stand sitting on the fence either.

My personal view is the the EU in principle is a great thing, being Little Englanders with pitchforks pointed towards Brussels in this day and age is a joke lol. I think we should stay in the EU but the whole thing needs a good proper shakedown from tip to toe and a good hard slap in the face. I'm also very glad that we have water separating us from the bastards!

That's me done with politics forever on watmm. Time to skin up and put on The Floyd. Fucking savage.

Brexit means the death of Britain.

sorry but a pet peeve is the labeling of Britain as "England", theres a lot more to the British and Irish Isles than just the Anglo-Saxons, some of our most recent and vehement arrivals. The irony especially when u see how well UKIP polls on the eastern side of these islands.......

if Britain exits, the union will break, the Scots will go full frontol w/independence further undermining any genuine challenge to continuing Tory govts. Its also why this toxic/inane bs Tory leadership contest is sidetracking us from genuine Euro reform.

the north & west of the British Isles (ie Scotland & Wales) have far more to lose from a Brexit than the SE/London does, for example. Equally, the south west's infrastructure is in need of a massive upgrade. It takes longer to go from Cornwall to Bristol than it doesn to fly from Bristol to any number of locations abroad = absurd in the 21st century.

England breaking? Where do i sign?

(jokes)

If by England breaking you're alluding to the erosion of democracy, a permanent state of regressive taxation & the financial sector relocating away from London yer spot on

(apologies - Its more a personal history with a certain merkin ex & her cohort who would constantly be unable to distinguish between the Britain/England distinction, leading to many a misunderstanding and also tainting your own reference)

Guest WNS000

I don't know (surprise).

On one hand I feel that truly interconnected EU is a bigger insurance of peace and power for smaller EU states (especially against the rest of superpowers in the world) whereas simple agreements about military/economic cooperation are easily canceled and are nothing more than a piece of paper if there are no strong bilateral needs behind them (so I don't think agreements of independent states would be a sufficient substitute for EU).

On the other hand, the EU would have to exist for many decades before nationalism and sovereignty starts to disappear from the EU countries in order to create a fully mixed, cohesive superpower that would react more quickly to the world around it. Right now, it is endless arguing and disputes that seriously cripples the union compared to other more cohesive superpowers. And I didn't even start about languages and other strong cultural differences preventing the creation of a strong, homogenic body.

I am also not a big fan of multiculturalism so I am having a dilemma (at minimum).

I definitely wouldn't like to be a politician and have the responsibility. Tough times.

theres a lot more to the British and Irish Isles than just the Anglo-Saxons, some of our most recent and vehement arrivals. The irony especially when u see how well UKIP polls on the eastern side of these islands.......

Oh cachau bant, UKIP got more than a quarter of the last EU vote in Wales too... UKIP do well in East Anglia because that area has sod all employment save seasonal agricultural labour, so the locals were hit particularly hard by the migrant influx. Nothing to do with being more Saxon. Migration deffo benefits most of us, but some do lose out.

I really should look to see if I can vote from abroad, IMO despite the EU's immense flaws it's still worth staying in. Better to try to reform it from the inside

Fuck the EU tbh. It is 2016 and we live in a country where the EU tells us what we can and can't do and fines us for being too successful !?!?

Whatever happened to the "British Empire" now we are soft and let other countries dictate what we can and can't do!

The only good thing that came out of the EU was freedom of travel (and yet you still have to queue up at passport control at the tunnel) and the Superfast broadband EU grants that got me from 1mbps to 50mbps!

sorry but a pet peeve is the labeling of Britain as "England", theres a lot more to the British and Irish Isles than just the Anglo-Saxons, some of our most recent and vehement arrivals. The irony especially when u see how well UKIP polls on the eastern side of these islands.......

if Britain exits, the union will break, the Scots will go full frontol w/independence further undermining any genuine challenge to continuing Tory govts. Its also why this toxic/inane bs Tory leadership contest is sidetracking us from genuine Euro reform.

the north & west of the British Isles (ie Scotland & Wales) have far more to lose from a Brexit than the SE/London does, for example. Equally, the south west's infrastructure is in need of a massive upgrade. It takes longer to go from Cornwall to Bristol than it doesn to fly from Bristol to any number of locations abroad = absurd in the 21st century.

It takes me an hour and 45 mins to drive from Cornwall to Bristol but takes me 5 hours to fly from Bristol to Italy so I am not sure I agree with your logic...

Tories are not toxic. They are left trying to fix a country that Labour sold out to the EU and just took on lots of debt.

I saw someones FB status the other day condeming the Tories because 20trillion of borrowed money is available to them and they didn't take it. The population seem to think we can just borrow lots of money and never have to pay it back (plus interest) and therefore, when Labour do just that, and the country looks at bankruptcy, it is always the Tories' fault.

Hell I have seen people condemming the Tories for decisions that were made mid term when Labour was in power and the Tories had no say... they just get blamed for everything.

theres a lot more to the British and Irish Isles than just the Anglo-Saxons, some of our most recent and vehement arrivals. The irony especially when u see how well UKIP polls on the eastern side of these islands.......

Oh cachau bant, UKIP got more than a quarter of the last EU vote in Wales too... UKIP do well in East Anglia because that area has sod all employment save seasonal agricultural labour, so the locals were hit particularly hard by the migrant influx. Nothing to do with being more Saxon. Migration deffo benefits most of us, but some do lose out.

I really should look to see if I can vote from abroad, IMO despite the EU's immense flaws it's still worth staying in. Better to try to reform it from the inside

fuck off yerself, simplifying/boiling things down to statements like the above just undermines what you actually say

the "east" of Britain goes well beyond east anglia, so applying some seasonal agricultural model to cities like Hull, Lincoln & wherever else simply doesnt work

and as these areas are pre-disposed to being more culturally & genetically Anglo-Saxon, the fact that they're frequently among the highest proportion of voters who want out of the EU while being among the most recent arrivals to these islands, just goes to show the hypocrisy at the heart of A) the EU referendum debate in some regions, and B) that the Anglo-Saxon/Anglo-Scandinavian descendants in Britain today forget this buried giant deep in the nation's psyche, especially when it comes to debating EU membership

if you want to further educate yerself here, firstly study European prehistory to postgraduate level and then read a novel called "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Then come back to me with yer head out of yer ass and we'll debate whatever the fuck you want

at least i understand the provenance of these islands and the cultures that have arisen, both past & present

It takes me an hour and 45 mins to drive from Cornwall to Bristol but takes me 5 hours to fly from Bristol to Italy so I am not sure I agree with your logic...

Tories are not toxic. They are left trying to fix a country that Labour sold out to the EU and just took on lots of debt.

I saw someones FB status the other day condeming the Tories because 20trillion of borrowed money is available to them and they didn't take it. The population seem to think we can just borrow lots of money and never have to pay it back (plus interest) and therefore, when Labour do just that, and the country looks at bankruptcy, it is always the Tories' fault.

Hell I have seen people condemming the Tories for decisions that were made mid term when Labour was in power and the Tories had no say... they just get blamed for everything.

if u can get from Cornwall to Bristol inside 2hrs chances are you're driving at night & the destinations i meant were cities like Paris, A'dam, Brussels etc

Whatever happened to the "British Empire" now we are soft and let other countries dictate what we can and can't do!

FLOL expert troll detected.

• 2 months later...

Turns out I can't vote anyway, but I have no idea how I would vote if I could. Probably vote to stay, but it'd be an absolute knife-edge choice. The EU is a great internal free trade and free movement bloc (although the UK has never taken full advantage of those aspects) but most of the rest can sod off. I don't think anyone really has a clue what would actually happen in a leave scenario. Most of the economic arguments are hugely dependent on the outcomes of other trade deals which are not necessarily directly related to the EU. Farage might be an untrustworthy cunt but most of the key campaigners on both sides are only one rung down on the ladder of twats.

The referendum itself is shit since most people seem to be fixated on immigration which at best is a peripheral issue (or even worse, banging on about irrelevant gobshite like national pride). So no matter what anyone does, this stupid vote isn't even really about the EU. Prior to this I was a huge fan of referendums and wished we had more of them (Direct Democracy n' all that), but watching how this one has devolved into irrelevant shit-slinging has put me well off the whole idea.

Perhaps my biggest issue is how the dreamier pro-EU campaigners seem to think that the EU is inherently pro-migration or pro-internationalist. Really? It still has borders, which are becoming increasingly impermeable and militarised - observe the countless refugee boats that get told to sod off back across the Mediterranean by FRONTEX. Plus the supposed pro-environmental nature of the EU (witness EU's total failure to protect fish stocks, Bialowieza Forest, immensely complex and counterintuitive CAP system that encourages environmental destruction etc). Likewise all the fear-mongering on the pro-EU side about Scotland separating if the UK leaves the EU - so what? IMO they're genuinely welcome to go their own way if they wish; why is the UK any more worth preserving than the EU? I hold the pro-EU side to a slightly higher intellectual standard since they attract a decidedly lower proportion of fruitcakes, so their lame arguments irk me in particular.

[/waffle]

Archived