IGNORED

New PLAID album - incoming

subtract

Still need a dose of Nulls!

The new EP tagged onto this makes one hell of an album though, satisfying to finally hear after many years some of the unreleased tracks/snippets and think there's still much more to come

New EP?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just messin, yeah Zero heads up, zero marketing, odd.

Still need a dose of Nulls!

The new EP tagged onto this makes one hell of an album though, satisfying to finally hear after many years some of the unreleased tracks/snippets and think there's still much more to come

Yeah cannot believe Nulls isn't on youtube yet, ughh, need that track! (love that track!)

Ok thanks for the info - I hadn't seen that thread or encountered it either. I don't Spotify so I too look forward to Bleep or whatever place I can purchase a download

Guest Chesney

I really like Nulls.

Although it's cool not to like things, don't feel bad. This isn't the aphex subforum.

Melifer is coming out as a favourite on this release

Simple classic Plaid tones but still very captivating

Majority of the album is still needing to grow on me. It's interesting how they're using guitar on this album to create an easy listening experience. To me it doesn't flow too well as an album e.g. CLOCK is totally out of place. That sound palette offered in CLOCK is reminiscent of Reachy Prints. Yu Mountain also sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all of the easy listening guitar riff tracks.

Feels more like a compilation of tracks rather than a flowing album experience.

Some tracks just go nowhere at all like Dilatone. No evolution in the track. It's okay to repeat something but as long as that loop is interesting enough to keep going for almost 4 minutes.

Not as good as Reachy Prints so far. Most tracks on Reachy Prints developed into something and evolved and went somewhere special. The 'epicness' of some of the tracks from Reachy Prints like Ropen and Nafovanny are missing in The Digging Remedy (maybe CLOCK is an exception as that feels pretty epic to me and very memorable).

After my initial love for the album, these are currently my exact thoughts.

I think I understand their aim for a very 'filtered', subtle sound, and do like it, but I would I have appreciated some of the tracks more if they built to something or evolved. Tracks like 'Dilatone', 'Saladore', 'Reeling Spiders'...Of course I can hear there are lots of little variations in intricacies in these tracks, but after a few listens now I realise, as cool as their subtle approach is, it's a bit too subtle for me. Actually many (not all) of the tracks don't go anywhere too much or shift or climax, but it seems less damaging in the more melodic/intricate/guitar based ones for some reason. It's the linear, squiggly above-mentioned ones that seem to give a 'flat' feeling once they're over. Maybe if there was one or two 'epics' thrown in there among them they wouldn't feel so much like that...I don't know.

But overall it is actually a lovely album. If I'm in a forgiving mood and aren't expecting too much it is truly magical. I just wonder if they could have kept the beautifully light, low-key and magical feel and had a little more in the way of tracks 'kicking off' some?

yeah it actually kinda reminds me of campfire headphase. not that the two sound similar, but how they sit relative to the rest of boards/plaid's work.

The more I listen to this album the more I think of how lazy it sounds. I just know that Plaid are highly skilled and capable of pulling off some really impressive music which develops and evolves but Digging Remedy is not meeting those typical standards.

Their recent output pre-Digging Remedy was simply flawless

Scintilli - lots of complex patterns overlapping in a unique way that only Plaid can pull off so well. Consistent sound palette that doesn't meander too much. Lush epic tracks like founded, at last and upgrade.

Reachy Prints - the majority of the tracks go to new places and evolve really well. Again, epic tracks like Nafovanny, Wallet and Ropen. Really clear example of lots of effort and thought put into the release overall.

But then when I listen to Digging Remedy, I get lots of tracks with very simplistic structures, simplistic patterns, with little to no evolution (exceptions in my mind are CLOCK and Melifer)

the only track i don,t dig at the mo is baby step giant step,and i don,t dislike the track either,but the rest is top notch,current faves are dilatone,reeling spiders, and held....also,to me lambswood,saladore,and reeling spiders all sound like remixes of the same track to me,if that makes sense,very similar bass lines

i felt the same about Baby Step Giant Step, but it grew on me. the whole 2nd half is great, i love how it gets so intense towards the end.

it may still be my least favourite on the album but that doesn't mean much when the whole album is as fantastic as this.

i think this album is a str8 up classic. gonna be spinning this one for the rest of my life.

favourites: CLOCK, Melifer, Yu Mountain, Lambswood, Saladore, Reeling Spiders.

edit: lemme add Wen to the list - what a beautiful way to close the album.

I must say, this is one of the most strangely addictive albums I have heard in a while. I sometimes think I am disappointed in it, and some tracks aren't as satisfying as they could be to me, but my gosh do I crave for it more than I have any other new, even seemingly more amazing music I've bought recently. I just love putting it on, and it always seems to work whatever mood I'm in and whatever volume level it's at. Is anyone else finding this? There seems to be a strange depth and power to this album, even though it sounds so stripped back, cheerful and 'easy listening' in comparison to the electronic music I usually love - and it has great longevity.

Good work, Plaid!

Went to Wales biking the weekend, my friend and i played the album on repeat for most of the time on the road.

It's a bit of a tradition that began with Spanners, we take the latest (usually just come out) Plaid album with us.

Once again the sounds of Ed&Andy was along for the journey driving through the Welsh hills and vallies... just amazing!

Classic Plaid all the way!

Archived