IGNORED

What's up with the apathy toward Drukqs back in 2001?

Brisbot

if he didntr give all those interviews and was the silent lying aphex we knew everyone would be arguing over whether syro was made all in the box on his laptop

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I never understood why the piano pieces are always linked to Satie instead of Cage.

They feel a lot more like Cage than Satie for the most part to me.

Prepared Piano and stuff.

Except for Avril 14th which is more Satiesque.

The sequencing of the tracks is definitely, erm, challenging. Think it would have gone down better if there'd been separate "electronic" and piano CDs or releases. I really like it but it almost deliberately makes it difficult with the sequencing of tracks. I know my friends who had been into aphex, albeit more casually than me, kind of lost a lot of interest in him after that. Though they'd still go back to his earlier stuff. At the end of the day, another thing is people want more of the same, more SAW etc that broke him massively.

man, the album is sequenced perfectly imo

• 1 month later...

Played 'Drukqs' for the first time in a while yesterday. It's a big, ramshackle kind of album isn't it. Lots going on, some throwaway bits... RDJ's 'Tusk', if you will.

It reminded me, though, what an exhausting listen it can be, which is why I personally never really got that into it when it came out. The juxtaposition of the piano stuff and the drum n bass, the intensity of the micro-programmed stuff... So much to try and take in I find my brain just gives up after a while. Must get around to splitting it up into at least two playlists.

Played 'Drukqs' for the first time in a while yesterday. It's a big, ramshackle kind of album isn't it. Lots going on, some throwaway bits... RDJ's 'Tusk', if you will.

It reminded me, though, what an exhausting listen it can be, which is why I personally never really got that into it when it came out. The juxtaposition of the piano stuff and the drum n bass, the intensity of the micro-programmed stuff... So much to try and take in I find my brain just gives up after a while. Must get around to splitting it up into at least two playlists.

Come back when you're ready

I never understood why the piano pieces are always linked to Satie instead of Cage.

They feel a lot more like Cage than Satie for the most part to me.

Prepared Piano and stuff.

Except for Avril 14th which is more Satiesque.

They were linked to both, as Cage himself referenced and praised Satie a lot who was a pioneer on ambient piano pieces going in circles (slowness and staticness wasn't a thing back then). In fact i think Cage actually was one of those few who got Satie out of oblivion for modern music by organising concerts and giving commentary, because Satie was an outsider and certainly not a popular figure in his own era. So the two are closely connected. Both are regarded not even as composers but as inventors by many.

Archived