IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story <Spoilers>

Rubin Farr

Dave Filoni has dropped hints they are wrapping up Rebels to produce a new animated series in the Sequel Trilogy timeline. There are a lot of story holes to fill in I must admit. The Aftermath trilogy of books has been tasked with doing the same, as are the Poe Dameron comics.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Filoni has dropped hints they are wrapping up Rebels to produce a new animated series in the Sequel Trilogy timeline. There are a lot of story holes to fill in I must admit. The Aftermath trilogy of books has been tasked with doing the same, as are the Poe Dameron comics.

That's odd - they are filling in those gaps with media from different authors, etc. and what - they're going to re-tell those stories in an animated show, or focus on a particular time in that era to avoid that?

There's probly a broad outline of how to interconnect those stories already planned, they seem to want to do the "shared universe" thing that is successful these days, and when a tv show skips ahead in time like Rebels, it's usually a good indication it's nearing its end.

There are even rumors of the live action show being resurrected, which I think depends on how successful the Boba Fett movie is.

As far as overkill, Season 3 of Rebels almost overlaps with Rogue One, so they're not too concerned about it, apparently.

Guest bitroast

they probably need to rely on more of this extended universe media to 

a. easier to sell more products

b. fill in plot holes created during rushed development (ie. people saying the force awakens plot makes sense if you read the books.. and the tie-in comics.. and now the tv show :catrage: )  

• 4 weeks later...

Rebels season 3 started out cool, it looks to be set around 2 years later, and they introduced Grand Admiral Thrawn, while stealing the Y-Wing bombers used to attack the first Death Star.  No explanation of what happened to Ahsoka or Vader yet.  It's looking like as December approaches, the Rebels storyline will deliberately cross over more with Rogue One, and we might see someone like Leia or Bail Organa and Vader appear again, as they're both in the movie as well.

don't really agree with the diversity argument that little kids don't care or notice. that is just completely false and wrong and every study in the world about children's racial bias/understanding proves it. Sure little kids don't write annoying "thinkpieces" about it but they unconsciously absorb *far* more than we give them credit for. the RLM counter example was one dumb-as-fuck ad from the 70s where a black kid is playing as han? lame.

I thought the mixed racial makeup of the cast was the best part of the movie. sure it was "obvious" or whatever because that shit needs to be obvious especially in a huge big budget movie that everyone in the world will see.

remember when rubin literally complained that it wasn't white enough wololol wtf man

anyway the ring theory "we love the prequels" takedown was great as was the "we are so fucked because star wars is now ruined forever because kathleen kennedy and bob iger"

edit: the gay characters part was awesome

don't really agree with the diversity argument that little kids don't care or notice. that is just completely false and wrong and every study in the world about children's racial bias/understanding proves it. Sure little kids don't write annoying "thinkpieces" about it but they unconsciously absorb *far* more than we give them credit for. the RLM counter example was one dumb-as-fuck ad from the 70s where a black kid is playing as han? lame.

I thought the mixed racial makeup of the cast was the best part of the movie. sure it was "obvious" or whatever because that shit needs to be obvious especially in a huge big budget movie that everyone in the world will see.

remember when rubin literally complained that it wasn't white enough wololol wtf man

anyway the ring theory "we love the prequels" takedown was great as was the "we are so fucked because star wars is now ruined forever because kathleen kennedy and bob iger"

edit: the gay characters part was awesome

My actual comment was that it felt contrived, but all diversity for diveristy's sake in Hollywood is contrived. Star Trek does diversity right IMO, and has been doing so for decades, illustrating a future for humanity where we've overcome our differences. SW is pure fantasy but everyone deserves to be represented, just make it feel natural.

I don't get the diversity for diversity's sake being contrived argument. How is it contrived to actively be more inclusive and diverse in casting and characters? Minorities have been marginalized in entertainment for years and now that they are finally getting more screen time and relateable characters in entertainment it's contrived. How could it be done more "naturally", whatever that means. Perhaps what is happening in Hollywood is a natural progression as a result of more people getting more cognizant of minorities, be it ethnic or sexual, and these minorities finally having a voice in the public debate. It feels that calling this movement contrived is just lame way of saying that you don't like all these minorities being all uppity and that you liked the status quo and minorities would only get seen and heard on your terms.

I don't get the diversity for diversity's sake being contrived argument. How is it contrived to actively be more inclusive and diverse in casting and characters? Minorities have been marginalized in entertainment for years and now that they are finally getting more screen time and relateable characters in entertainment it's contrived. How could it be done more "naturally", whatever that means. Perhaps what is happening in Hollywood is a natural progression as a result of more people getting more cognizant of minorities, be it ethnic or sexual, and these minorities finally having a voice in the public debate. It feels that calling this movement contrived is just lame way of saying that you don't like all these minorities being all uppity and that you liked the status quo and minorities would only get seen and heard on your terms.

I think in sci-fi, the approach is everything.  Star Trek had an interracial kiss and Russian crewman in the 60s, an African American commander in 1992, he was great.  They had a female Captain in 1994, she was great.  Hopefully Discovery continues that tradition.  I think an ensemble cast lends itself well to creating diversity for the sake of the story, not a Hollywood exec checking off a list of minority categories they need to fulfill to maximize merchandising profits, which Disney is all about.  X-Men is a good example as well, or the MCU, there are already enough established characters of every race, creed and persuasion that they can co-exist in a sensible way.  JJ just didn't do a good job IMO, they can still do better with Rian Johnson, I think he will produce superior films to TFA anyway.  Just my two cents.

I can't believe I watched that entire RLM video last night. It was surprisingly well done, though it obviously covered a lot of ground most who would watch it have already seen. Always fun to see them poke fun at every aspect of the entertainment culture though.

yeh it's hard to believe that people actually poop out a thing like that ring theory stuff, and tbqh it was a bit cringe that the RLM guy even bothered with this, and then he actually spent significant time on that section... was hoping for more ridicule about the actual franchise, future and current spinoffs etc... still, some good lols in the video

Definite lol within, I generally don't enjoy videos like that but I was well into the entire 1:45 or whatever it was. Agreed it was odd they spent such time focused on the Ring theory. Stuff like that I just don't really get...like, the people coming up with this shit these days are on the internet obviously....they can watch hours of interviews and read about Lucas's intentions and plans for the stories and all that information is out there... But they just ignore the facts that Lucas obviously just sort of figured the story up and he's just not a great writer at all, and that's just the end...there's no grand plan with secret connections and shit. Anyway, the RLM video was funny. I need to watch The Force Awakens again and see how it is the second time.

I like the theory that Rey is the Force's reincarnation of Anakin, the next vergence

Yeah but if so then good lord the force is doing this shit every what, 40 years? That's a lot of work for some teeny widdle midichlorians (sp?)

I try not to pay attention to anything that's not in the original cuts of the original trilogy. I'm less shameful of liking Star Wars by doing that, but there's still more than enough shame.

Archived