IGNORED

Second Woman (Telefon Tel Aviv & Belong collab LP)

New collab project between TTA's Josh Eustis and Belong's Turk Dietrich called 'Second Woman' out June 10th on the label 'Spectrum Spools':

a1905753483_10.jpg

Preview track:

Tracklist:
01. 100407jd7
02. 200601je6
03. 300528mj1
04. 400425cc2
05. 500609sp3
06. 600249li9
07. 700358bc5
08. 800438ul8
09. 900438an4

• 4 weeks later...

Another track from the new LP:

From 'Self-Titled Mag':

"While it may seem like a dizzying IDM exercise at first, Second Woman’s self-titled debut is actually a trippy example of ASMR triggers at work. Here’s how Turk Dietrich (also of the long-dormant New Orleans duo Belong) sees it, starting with how he first met Second Woman’s other half, Joshua Eustis (Telefon Tel Aviv, Sons of Magdalene, The Black Queen):

Josh and I have been friends for about 17 years now. We met in New Orleans in the late ’90s through our mutual friend, Charlie Cooper. Josh and I have been working on music together on and off pretty much since we first met, be it working on our own stuff, some video game score work, or tracks with our friends. In the past year we had the idea for this project and decided to focus all of our attention to it.

We were interested in tweaking the perception of time and space within the audio field using some of the newer software that is available. We tried to do this by taking tropes from both footwork and dub and attempting to alter them into something interesting and ASMR-inducing. Josh and I both experience ASMR in response to certain rhythms and sounds, so we did our best to incorporate that into the music."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seriously, if anyone was still after that album-length Autechre fix despite elseq, they could do much worse than check this out. Just gave it a full listen and I'm chuffed, this one will be on repeat!

• 4 months later...

Ah cool, this one missed my radar but I'll definitely have to check this out, I love Telefon Tel Aviv, and although this seems quite different it sounds pretty damn good.

• 2 months later...

It's quite a good record. Discovered it through that silly Fact IDM revival article where it was as described as "Autechre and Basic Channel making ASMR video" or something..and I thought "he he, yeah right sure"

...lo and behold, they pull it off..it's a compelling listen..the description was pretty accurate! to me at least...and yeah SND as well.

excited to hear the EP and upcoming LP..

oh and Josh Eustis is interviewed on this podcast, speaks a little on Second Woman transitioning to a Max based workflow..

• 1 year later...

Totally missed this, checking it out now. Reminds me a bit of Mark Fell.

When Josh played at the defunkt after party at Day For Night 2016 my friends and I remarked that it sounded super Mark Fell. This is the first I've heard of Second Woman but it's an awful lot like what I remember from that night. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Checking them out now, and bumping the thread; they are pretty impeccable sound sculptors

Archived