IGNORED

Best way to do USB multitrack recording in 2016?

muncadunc

I'm trying to get up and running with USB audio recording and have discovered that my current mixer, a Peavey PV-6, only supports stereo audio input to the computer over USB.

What's a good, relatively cheap mixer that can output multiple tracks to a DAW over USB? I've been looking at the Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0, but the USB 2.0 version (with multiple USB tracks) seems very hard to get, and somewhat old now.

Most sites listing USB mixers are very mum about the number of tracks sent to the computer via USB, and I would be pretty bummed to buy something only to find out it can't do what I need it to.

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience and stuff I've heard from friends who worked at Alesis, the Multimix 8 has some design flaws that make it overheat and eventually fail. Plus the USB audio is REALLY noisy, or a least it was on the one I had.

I'd suggest getting a stand alone interface and using your current mixer, that way you can upgrade (or replace if they fail) your converters and your mixer independently, and also put more money in to the interface without having to buy

As far as specific models I've got no clue, but I'd stay away from anything Avid.

Interesting that there seemingly is no decent option, especially for entry-level pricing...

So basically one would get a mixer with inserts and plug these into an audio interface?

(if one wants to record post channel-eq/fader)

Hah, it's funny you say the Tascam US-16x08. I didn't see any responses to this so I bit the bullet, spent a little more and got one.

Reasons I love it:

• Proper ASIO support (none of that ASIO4ALL crap)
  • Midi support to control your synths
  • More inputs than I will probably ever need
  • On top of that, a headphone jack I can plug in to my stereo
  • I can rackmount it if I want

Thanks for the replies, I'd be interested to know what else people are using.

Are there any that have just a whole bunch of inputs that are the same—either 1/4 inch or RCA? All I want is say, 4 stereo pairs, or 8 mono inputs. It seems *every* mixer/audio interface manufacturer thinks that everyone is going to need mic inputs.

Been using a TASCAM US-1641 for a couple of years, no complaints at all, except...

-more inputs would be nice. Something like a 32x4..

-scared to death of those phantom power switches, directly below the on/off switch... some precious gear will be blown up if they are ever touched.. I put some plastic rings around those buttons so they can't be pressed easily.

Those mic inputs are a bit awkward for synth/drum machine setups, but these units get used in all kinds of situations (recording bands / choirs and what have you)

Tested out the 1641 with win10 yesterday, it seemed to work without any trouble (after downloading and installing the latest driver of course). Then after plugging it back into my XP machine, it refused to connect on USB (wtf!!??) After installing the 2.05 driver on XP, it works again. Weird.

• 1 month later...

Then after plugging it back into my XP machine, it refused to connect on USB (wtf!!??) After installing the 2.05 driver on XP, it works again. Weird.

A small update on this.

This turned out to be a wonky usb connection... During driver installation you have to unplug and replug it, which solved the problem (probably a little bit of oxidation on the plug).

Anyway, the 2.05 driver on XP produced some issues (pops and crackles after losing sync), I just went back to 2.00 and it's fine again.

I'm seriously tempted to get 4x behringer uca222 units, connected to a powered usb3 hub, so I can get 8-channel recording happening for $140ish. Could anything go wrong with this setup?

I'm seriously tempted to get 4x behringer uca222 units, connected to a powered usb3 hub, so I can get 8-channel recording happening for $140ish. Could anything go wrong with this setup?

Not 100% sure you can run all four behringer units simultaneously. And even though you say its powered, I would not hook up 4 units to it. I have a UCA202 on the other machine and it runs as an external soundcard.

Not 100% sure you can run all four behringer units simultaneously. And even though you say its powered, I would not hook up 4 units to it. I have a UCA202 on the other machine and it runs as an external soundcard.

Any insights into why it wouldn't work? Is it a bandwidth issue?

Yeah I'm using a mac. I was thinking of lumping it all together in an aggregate device or something, so it treats it as one device with multiple inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

Total hardware recording noob - how exactly do you record complex audio (say from a eurorack) into a multitrack recorder?

Also, recommendations would be great. I don't need a mixer or any bundled software as I can just do that in a DAW. All I need is to bring multitrack recording from MIDI into the PC.

EDIT: Would a simple MIDI USB interface be for me if I wanted to record a eurorack?

• 10 months later...

Bumping this old ass thread -- need some input on the US16x08.  Still running well?  Any driver issues? Windows 10??

I really like the price of the unit but have read mediocre reviews =/

I also like the Roland Studio Capture, but even 2nd hand it's still around $600.....

Also need to use this thread, as - like a total fucking twat - I updated my mac OS to a version that M-Audio/Avid will no longer support for my sound card (RIP my Fast Track Ultra, you gave me 8 great years).

What's good these days for a budget of €500?  As mentioned, I've not bought an AI for about 8 years.  The Fast Track had 6i/6o which I'd want to keep at a minimum, but obviously don't want to compromise too much on quality.

Bumping this old ass thread -- need some input on the US16x08.  Still running well?  Any driver issues? Windows 10??

I really like the price of the unit but have read mediocre reviews =/

I also like the Roland Studio Capture, but even 2nd hand it's still around $600.....

as i stated above yeah, the driver issues have been fixed for months and haven't experienced any new ones. nothing fucked up when i installed the creators update. no issues since about 2-3 months after release

• 2 years later...

Archived