IGNORED

Prince (1958-2016)

joshuatxuk

Yep the Boomer-aged artists are startin' to drop. This one doesn't devastate me like Bowie but, in spite of my limited engagement with his discography, it still resonates for reasons Josh outlined above. No denying Prince's greatness.

uhm Kavinsky, looks like you're a youngn', time to brush up on your music history a little. This wiki link should suffice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)

Not that young but sometimes skeptical and surprised about famous people. Prince sounds like all the other funk artists from the 70 - 80´s nothing more thats why I´m a bit surprised.

this is like 1000x more important than david bowie. musically i mean.

ban kavinsky from thread.

sorry i'm just emotional but dang.

and for me David Bowie is 1000x times more important, you see dr lopez thats why I´m interested in asking questions.

Dearly beloved

We are gathered here today

2 get through this thing called life

Electric word life

It means forever and that's a mighty long time

But I'm here 2 tell u

There's something else

The afterworld

A world of never ending happiness

U can always see the sun, day or night

So when u call up that shrink in Beverly Hills

U know the one - Dr Everything'll Be Alright

Instead of asking him how much of your time is left

Ask him how much of your mind, baby

'Cuz in this life

Things are much harder than in the afterworld

In this life

You're on your own

i was at ihop yesterday morning and lets go crazy started playing on their speakers just as i walked in. weird.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

this is like 1000x more important than david bowie. musically i mean.

ban kavinsky from thread.

sorry i'm just emotional but dang.

and for me David Bowie is 1000x times more important, you see dr lopez thats why I´m interested in asking questions.
don't smear this opinion on a tribute thread, go smear that shit somewhere else

edit: I'm probs much younger than you btw, but I have always been stuck in oldies - stuff's good

Edited by MIXL2

you can tell from expressions that he makes public
that he suffers from a badly broken heart
he smiles as he feeds the afternoon pigeons

yet he cries as he walks the night streets of St. Mark

prxVxl.jpg

cheers C, funny, insightful & having an ex who had a serious Nordstrom addiction brought some not too serious flashbacks

Purple Music is a rare Prince track reworked and edited via various folks over time, proper groover

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1m0g4w

still shocked, unexpected.

He just played in Oakland, and I really wish I made it to that.

My friends saw him play a secret show in San Francisco and said it was the best, ever.

He's a genius, I have simply more respect for multi instrumentalist musicians, who also sing, songwriters.

he was the complete package, I remember being in 6th grade and walking to the music store miles away from school,

listening to the 'Crystal Ball' CD on the listening station at this CD shop that is long since out of commission.

That was the first time I remember hearing princes work,

from there is was Purple Rain, and Controversy, al leading up to a personal favorite, Sign Of The Times,

Which I still feel is his strongest work.

Those records are immortal, and the legacy he led will forever embody the archetype of the worlds greatest musical genius.

So Influential...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgGxkFp7Yw

i wish that clinton/prince collab album got to see the light of day. we just got to see fragments of it on graffiti bridge and the black album.

Some outlets are reporting Prince was treated for a drug OD a few days before this.

He didn't strike me as a druggy or anything so I find that odd.

I've never listened to prince or anything but I know he was a legend in his own right. RIP

Prince anecdote

a school mate was working as a local crew hand on a Prince tour of Britain a few moons ago. All these old crew heads were stoners & were knee deep in something overtly stinky, to the extent that His Purpleness sent his security head down to have a word. Instead of "sort it out" & a few hidings handed out, it was "who's holding?".

copping it in your 50's is still relatively young in the big scheme of things

Prince anecdote

Around the time of the Batman soundtrack, Prince released an EP called 'Scandalous Sex Suite'. The recording sessions ran late into the evening, and required Kim Basinger. Apparently the next morning when cleaning staff came in, every square inch of the studio was smeared in whipped cream.

Some outlets are reporting Prince was treated for a drug OD a few days before this.

He didn't strike me as a druggy or anything so I find that odd.

He was a Jehovahs Witness after 2001 and had self-imposed medical limits as a result (the church opposes blood transfusions for example). He refused a recommended hip replacement in 2005. No idea if his health issues stemmed from such refusal of medical advice.