IGNORED

Help with Scales?

ceiling

I've written a Melody that uses the notes C, D#,G and G# which ever scale that Is I'm not sure, although It does sound slightly gamelan. Anyway I'd like to convert It into something within the Mixolydian Mode. It would be great If someone could help me with how I go about doing this? I know the scale runs from G to G on the white keys but I can't use all white keys in the melody cause I want that dischord within the melody when the white key is played after or before the adjacent black key.

Then after that try both scales and see which notes capture the mood you're going for. Instead of just picking one at random. Chances are you're gravitating toward one in particular, but you have to weed them out.

Sweet thanks for the help. Yeah It may not be the mode I'm looking for, just wanted to try It. I'm trying to get a sort of celtic sound but dark and I read that Mixolydian is a popular mode used in Irish and Celtic music.

"I've got some paint that's green that I love but I want to change it to pink but to have it still be that green that I love. I've heard that trees look better if you paint them with pink."

I think we all need some Pink trees in our lives

Sweet thanks for the help. Yeah It may not be the mode I'm looking for, just wanted to try It. I'm trying to get a sort of celtic sound but dark and I read that Mixolydian is a popular mode used in Irish and Celtic music.

The stereotypical (minor) Celtic tonality is (in C) C D F G Bb (essentially a minor pentatonic scale with a 2nd instead of a minor 3rd)

But from there it's all about phrasing and articulation...the notes are only like half the story

But a stereotypical line would be something like G-Bb-G-F-D-C-C (over a C minor chord)

Granted, my knowledge of Celtic music consists only of the Pogues, Dropkick Murphys and some traditional jigs and hornpipes i learned when i used to play bluegrass with my uncle)

The stereotypical (minor) Celtic tonality is (in C) C D F G Bb (essentially a minor pentatonic scale with a 2nd instead of a minor 3rd)

But from there it's all about phrasing and articulation...the notes are only like half the story

But a stereotypical line would be something like G-Bb-G-F-D-C-C (over a C minor chord)

Granted, my knowledge of Celtic music consists only of the Pogues, Dropkick Murphys and some traditional jigs and hornpipes i learned when i used to play bluegrass with my uncle)

Thanks I'll give that a go. I was talking more about sacred celtic music, old medieval sound. Just been listening to a lot of My Bloody Valentine of late and got really into how there's a slight Irish tinge to the music, If that makes any sense.

Archived