IGNORED

Do any of you 'browse' bandcamp as much as soundcloud? (poll)

Brisbot

Do you stream bandcamp a lot?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stream bandcamp a lot?

• Yes, more than Soundcloud
    • Yes, about as much as SC
    • Yes, but not quite as much as SC
    • Yes, but rarely
    • Nah, just use it to buy music

I am curious about your listening habits when it comes to this. I really don't... I'll buy stuff on bandcamp plenty, but I tend to find out about an album via soundcloud or elsewhere. I'm wondering if anything uses bandcamp as a kind of 'streaming' platform in addition to SC?

I usually check out the same Bandcamp sites and rarely use the search function to look up new music. If I like it, I'll buy it but am generally too lazy to find new music unless it's recommended. Maybe a sign that there is a 'slight' saturation in the market...

never searched bandcamp to discover, go off recommendations from friends or teh internets (messageboards, facebook / watmm release threads mostly).

Just realised that the search via tag and finding the best sellers is quite a decent way of showing albums/ep's. Will be definitely using this more :music:

I follow a fair amount of artists and fans on BC, and check my feed a few times a week for new releases and purchases. Always looking for more too :) I've found some great stuff like that...I rarely touch soundcloud these days, there's just so much half assed and totally ridiculous shit up there, and that's cool and all but just not worth my time.

sent using magic space waves

no way. I use soundcloud way more. The social aspect of Soundcloud really helps with discovery. I like the half assed and ridiculous shit that pops up on soundcloud.

actually, the main thing that makes the site unusable for browsing music is the fact that the player reloads when you navigate away from a page, it should keep playing whatever you're listening to.

I'd use Bandcamp more for discovering music if you could search by more than one tag. I'm always on the lookout for local producers so to be able to search electronic+Liverpool would be great, but I can't so tend to use SoundCloud for that. Bandcamp is way less 'community' orientated but I like that tbh, fuck communities.

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

I prefer to download rather than stream so bandcamp for me. Plus having all those formats available for download at any time is a major boon. The tag system is a literal however.

I only go to soundcloud if that's the only place the song files can be downloaded from. And I can't download them, I feel sort of sad.

Guest WNS000

I usually don't use either of the two. I am a slow, conservative person that needs months and years to fully appreciate music I already have. I actually wonder how incredibly open-minded and adaptable you guys are if you truly manage to constantly listen to new music (provided you really listen to the music and not just let it play in the background). The last couple of years I was mainly listening to only a handful of artist but almost every day for a few hours. And when I got bored I revisited some forgotten records in my collection.

Oh yeah and I am pretty suspicious when it comes to random quality tracks on SC. Most of them are disposable so that discourages me from listening even further.

Now I feel old...

I usually don't use either of the two. I am a slow, conservative person that needs months and years to fully appreciate music I already have. I actually wonder how incredibly open-minded and adaptable you guys are if you truly manage to constantly listen to new music (provided you really listen to the music and not just let it play in the background). The last couple of years I was mainly listening to only a handful of artist but almost every day for a few hours. And when I got bored I revisited some forgotten records in my collection.

I used to be the same way.. and I still am a bit. I'd say I'm between the open minding thing and the conservative thing. I have a weird habit with records. Say for a Radiohead record, I'll start digging their records one track at a time. I got into RH back in 2010, when they only had In Rainbows as their last record out. It took me months to comb over their existing discography. I felt overwhelmed whenever I listened to too much at once

Guest WNS000

Yeah. Radiohead are a very slow listening process for me. I still haven't heard bigger half of their discography.

I still haven't heard all of the AE_LIVE sets. But have recently heard Quicksand - Slip like 20 times in two months (after tasting it little by little for like 5 months).

I also have quite difficult times truly listening to albums in their entirety which is something that wasn't such a big problem when I was a teenager. I guess I prefer listening to separate tracks. Mainly probably because I dislike sudden changes of moods (if an album is like that).

Guest WNS000

Rare exception are Tool and Autechre. When they release new albums I will definitely listen to them in their entirety and plan my time carefully to do so in a quiet, comfortable environment. I feel I can trust those guys to not waste my time. Other bands has to try much harder.

Rare exception are Tool and Autechre. When they release new albums I will definitely listen to them in their entirety and plan my time carefully to do so in a quiet, comfortable environment. I feel I can trust those guys to not waste my time. Other bands has to try much harder.

Keeping up with Tool isn't hard. You could listen to one second of their music a day and finish it all before their next album drops.

About as much as soundcloud, but things i find on soundcloud i won't buy. Soundcloud only seems for fun listening and bandcamp has more serious buys, but i havn't bought anything with an actual pricetag and have a few questions to someone here if you don't mind... I mainly surf bandcamp on a laptop but for some reason the players just stop sometimes and it forces me to have to reboot, with bandcamp, soundcloud and spotify. I don't own a smartphone as much as i'd like to explain. But in the near future i want to have a dedicated way to just sit back for a couple months and devote my time to buying a bunch of stuff from bandcamp. What is the best way to listen and buy? Via smartphone or tablet and please don't say mac unless it's an ipad. I might be able to afford one of those soon hopefully refurbished.

I've got so much music bookmarked in chrome by bandcamp artists i'm serious about buying. I'm clueless where to start. The thing is though i have terrabytes of space to store music, but don't know what to invest in next as far as "getting" new music.

Guest WNS000

I've got so much music bookmarked in chrome by bandcamp artists i'm serious about buying. I'm clueless where to start. The thing is though i have terrabytes of space to store music, but don't know what to invest in next as far as "getting" new music.

The way I do it:

I randomly pick an artist and listen to it on the web or download warez somewhere (less common today cause of all the streaming platforms). If it has potential, I keep returning to it and listen more and more carefully. If it stands critical listening and the test of time (months, years, depends) I will eventually buy the record (or a track). I usually create a list of recordings I wanna buy at a given year and buy them (usually) for Christmas.

I would never buy or pre-order a recording without careful listening first (the rare exceptions are Autechre and Tool as I already said). Too much disposable music out there.

Archived