IGNORED

Slowdive recording first new album in 21 years

Rubin Farr

This is huge news for me, really glad their back at it. I don't even care if it ends up being MOR. I got into them quite late, just 4-5 years ago actually but they quickly became one of my favorite bands. Even flew out to LA to see them along with Slint play FYF

• 2 weeks later...

Pygmalion feels so final. Hard to think how they're gonna bounce back from that. Excited to hear it.

Reminds me, I gotta check out that MBV comeback album, I heard a little of it and it didn't grab me, then I just kinda forgot.

• 7 months later...

Nice kickoff for their new stuff - look forward to hearing the rest. I imagine as the first single this was purposely picked because it's pretty safe / classic sounding. It's not in some heavy distortion/reverb angsty territory nor super ambient. It's more upbeat than some of their dreamier ballads. Reminds me a bit of a recent band called the Amazing from Sweden. Shoegaze-y but pretty grounded and poppy.

I dig the new single. this is a nice little documentary about them, I've watched it like 5 times now over the past year or so, and I'm not even a huge fan. https://www.google.com/amp/pitchfork.com/news/59940-pitchforktv-presents-pitchfork-classic-documentary-on-slowdives-souvlaki/amp/ Rachel has a nice smile.

Anyone ever see the Pitchfork doc on Souvlaki?

Yeah it was good, very informative and in-depth. Went through each song's composition, their career up until then and of course the album getting slammed at the time by the major UK Music press magazines. 

Don't know much about Slowdive, but the name has been drifting around me for years.

Heard the Star Roving track on bbc6 yesterday, very very good indeed  :music:

Souvlaki is the best starting point imo. Just for a Day is great, some of my favorite tracks by them, but less substantial overall. Their early EPs are quite ethereal. Pygmalion is a lot more experimental and the most detached from shoegazer peers of the 90s, more akin to Seefeel or other ambient dream pop / electronic pop. I love it but it would make for a misleading intro to their work. They have a fair amount of bootleg demos to listen to as well, not to mention various side projects and subsequent bands.

Overall they are a lot "prettier" than other shoegaze legends but just as impressive and innovative composition / production wise as MBV, who has always overshadowed them critically.

morningrise is their best song. then alison, then everything on pygmalion. pygmalion is basically a talk talk album. would skip just for a day, basically cocteau twins lite. souvlaki is solid, bit derivative. i like the new song.

Last time I saw Neil Halstead was in Bristol playing with Mark Kozelek, who berated him live on stage, telling him he couldn't play - really he was playing with the audience. Crafty bugger. 

Just looked on wiki and there is a link to Neil's Slowdive guitar setup from 1993 here ->

https://www.guitar.com/rigs/neil-halstead-slowdive-1993-rig-and-gear-setup?v=fullsize

Noooice. 

Archived