IGNORED

Who is the best electronic performer?

granty

I haven't seen that many electronic producers live, and the ones I have seen have been a bit flat - I haven't had that same excitement I get when I see a really good guitar band. I though Tycho were good because they were closer to a regular band, playing instruments live - same with Shobaleader One, Bonobo etc I'm guessing.

What about one man bands though? Are there any real good examples of a single person giving a really great live performance?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at 2:14 on the Ceephax one, "I don't do coke"

Great the way he doesn't take it seriously though - or pretend to be doing shit when he doesn't need to.

I like the live drum sequencing on the KiNk one too - will watch all that back when I'm not in work.

Nice one.

Daedelus, Ceephax and Leafcutter John are some of the best performers I've seem live.

Yeah saw some Daedelus live thing he posted on Facebook a few months back - very much a dandy performer, which I liked.

Jon Hopkins is impressive too:

https://youtu.be/2-xUqrA_F7s

James zabiela is a fun DJ to watch.

Obviously this video is seriously choreographed but he does all this shit live in the club too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibnv-a5vJsA

Blimey. Must take yonks to master your hardware like that.

I though Tycho were good because they were closer to a regular band, playing instruments live - same with Shobaleader One, Bonobo etc I'm guessing.

What about one man bands though? Are there any real good examples of a single person giving a really great live performance?

It varies, I've seen great laptop shows like Flying Lotus (2010 and 2014) but I have no idea how much was a quasi-DJ set versus live performance.

Sylvan Esso was amazing as well, just one person on the drum machine/sampler and another singing. Sounds just as good if not better IRL, Amelia's voice is amazing and they don't overdo it when it comes to the music.

Beardyman was fun too. I've heard Caribou Bonobo are excellent from friends.

I've seen some cool solo performances of local artists involving looping, either through tape looping and/or an array of effects pedals and mixing.

It's funny you mention Tycho. I saw Tycho and it was technically great, perfect really, but it was also ironically very stale and kind of a letdown (weirdly bro-y audience too so that subjectively affected my experience, the visuals were pretty but like Windows 10 screensaver pretty) I actually almost posted about it here but never got to it. As a comparison one of the most mind-blowing shows I saw was a band called Thousand Foot Whale Claw. No A/V show, analog synths and guitar. Fucking heavy as hell and really, really dense. Kind of like Sun O))) but with synths as the leads. I remember at one point they like detuned in unison and it felt like I was falling. Crazy stuff.

I've also always wanted to see the Chemical Brothers live, one of the first groups I ever got into and then and now they're live sets look like a lot of fun.

Daedelus, Ceephax and Leafcutter John are some of the best performers I've seem live.

Yeah saw some Daedelus live thing he posted on Facebook a few months back - very much a dandy performer, which I liked.

Jon Hopkins is impressive too:

https://youtu.be/2-xUqrA_F7s

James zabiela is a fun DJ to watch.

Obviously this video is seriously choreographed but he does all this shit live in the club too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibnv-a5vJsA

Blimey. Must take yonks to master your hardware like that.

Yep, plus 1 for Jon Hopkins, seems to be pretty handy at what he does.

Zabiela is sponsored by Pioneer so he gets all the gear free in advance to make tutorials for them, think he also has input towards their design. Pretty damn bad ass situation.

Ceephax and Max Tundra also get my vote

the blue man group?

Baseck is pretty rad live these days. all hardware solid jamming.. mad finger drumming skills and rave dance party intensity. massive synth melodies and wicked changes.

matmos was a good live act for t\"the rose has teeth in the mouth of the beast" tour.

i'm not really a "stage presence" guy. when it comes to some music i just want to hear it loud on a good PA.. if someone is trying to add some novelty to their show by using a midi glove or by dancing around and shit. it just turns me off.

Matmos do some great stuff, live sampling sounds and sequencing them into tracks. They did a pretty amazing track out of live recordings of a balloon when I saw them a few years ago.

Tim Exile! He's blown me away both times I've seen him live. First was on tour with Imogen Heap, where he opened with a solo set and then joined Heap onstage to provide live electronics.

Mouse on Mars were fun too. They started their set with an actual airhorn on a stand, and sampled it for use in a track.

Umm, who else. My good friend cTrix has great stage presence and really knows how to get a crowd going, especially with the gAtari:

Matmos do some great stuff, live sampling sounds and sequencing them into tracks. They did a pretty amazing track out of live recordings of a balloon when I saw them a few years ago.

yeah Matmos are great live. I love the little stories and anecdotes they tell between tracks as well.

Archived