IGNORED

Who is the best electronic performer?

granty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Exile! He's blown me away both times I've seen him live. First was on tour with Imogen Heap, where he opened with a solo set and then joined Heap onstage to provide live electronics.

Mouse on Mars were fun too. They started their set with an actual airhorn on a stand, and sampled it for use in a track.

Umm, who else. My good friend cTrix has great stage presence and really knows how to get a crowd going, especially with the gAtari:

Matmos do some great stuff, live sampling sounds and sequencing them into tracks. They did a pretty amazing track out of live recordings of a balloon when I saw them a few years ago.

yeah Matmos are great live. I love the little stories and anecdotes they tell between tracks as well.

Oh yeah MoM are freaking awesome!

Jack Dangers always puts on a great show

Tim Exile! He's blown me away both times I've seen him live. First was on tour with Imogen Heap, where he opened with a solo set and then joined Heap onstage to provide live electronics.

Mouse on Mars were fun too. They started their set with an actual airhorn on a stand, and sampled it for use in a track.

Umm, who else. My good friend cTrix has great stage presence and really knows how to get a crowd going, especially with the gAtari:

Matmos do some great stuff, live sampling sounds and sequencing them into tracks. They did a pretty amazing track out of live recordings of a balloon when I saw them a few years ago.

yeah Matmos are great live. I love the little stories and anecdotes they tell between tracks as well.

All great examples, nice one. It seems you need to offer something unique for the performance to be memorable - either virtuoso playing skills, or not so much a gimmick but something that sets you apart from a sea of dudes stood behind laptops. Don't know who said it but as long as the music's good - hearing it blasted out of a PA is good enough.

IDM is introverted music imo, so it's never going to beat (for example) System of a Down circa Toxicity or Killing Joke who are going to specifically turn up and shred the place and the people into peices.

Probably best would be bands like Orbital, Underworld and Aphex (depending on what mood he is in, or what he's got planned). Are NiN electronic? I watched them on the Year Zero tour and the show they played was incredible. Some dude just tapping keys on a laptop isn't really my cup of green tea tbh.

Ps I'd really like to see Kraftwerk.

IDM is introverted music imo, so it's never going to beat (for example) System of a Down circa Toxicity or Killing Joke who are going to specifically turn up and shred the place and the people into peices.

bro...

i would combine your quote with the one that said "IDM can be extreme" or sth like that, someone has it in his signature afair, pure jokes

ctrl+f "autechre" in thread. no results found.

rmdSx.gif

lol yeah. If you're not listening with your eyes, I would say Autechre, Mark Fell, or Rob Hall.

yeah I can't believe I didn't say Autechre, just saw them last year too and it was mesmerizing

Moderat put on a good visual show but they don't do a lot stood at their laptops / controllers.

+1 for Tim Exile. He used to have that joystick dildo controller and a hands free microphone combo thing going on.

Also, this:-

fav ever electronic performance was sean taking a massiv hit from his vape and smiling when i was like 'WHAT THE FUHUUUUUUUUCK" in boston '15

Seans massive vape cloud just before starting the Brooklyn gig last year was the closest thing we'll get to a 'sup guys' at an autechre show. No mic necessary.

Gold panda put on a super good live show when I saw him in Berlin around the release of Half of where you live. It was one of those perfect handoffs where he was able to carry the energy of the previous DJs but the switch into live and long versions of his own tracks was refreshing and made everyone go crazy.

I've also had the pleasure of seeing Magic Mountain High play their improvised live show, really took the crowd along for a journey. They have recorded live stuff (workshop xx) and in fact the show I went to was released as well (live in Seattle - further records), but being there is an experience not to be missed

Guest bitroast

ye. reason for saying autechre is because of how they play their music live. its 100% autechre music and from listening to recording to recording, you can tell they are actually doing things differently each night and triggering things live.

+ the show i was saw is hands down the best electronic performance i have ever been to ... nothing else compares.. squarepusher compares cos that was also wicked and felt a little loose, but still had nothing on autechres live performance (sorry squarepusher!!!).

ceephax ... on the other hand, i would love to see !!!!

^ Phoenix lineups were fucking mental. And the mrs lives 10 mins away from where they had it. If only I was born a little earlier...

Insane to think how Aphex, BoC, Bowie and Faith No More all played there in '97. Current UK festivals are fucking garbage and don't compare in the slightest.

Moderat put on a good visual show but they don't do a lot stood at their laptops / controllers.

+1 for Tim Exile. He used to have that joystick dildo controller and a hands free microphone combo thing going on.

Also, this:-

has he done any live shit these past twelve months or so? seeing him in July and not sure what to expect, I figure he's not getting the old strap-on back out again but we can hope

Archived