IGNORED

Who is the best electronic performer?

granty

Gold panda put on a super good live show when I saw him in Berlin around the release of Half of where you live. It was one of those perfect handoffs where he was able to carry the energy of the previous DJs but the switch into live and long versions of his own tracks was refreshing and made everyone go crazy.

I saw him in Austin, probably same year (same tour anyway I think). Good energy from his openers, a local guy Corduroi and another guy named slow magic. All three of them definitely had more than just a laptop, Corduroi was doing stuff off his ableton pad, slow magic had actual drums, and Gold Panda had a MPC and drum machine and a bunch of other controllers. He actually had to get his laptop out to play his encore because he didn't have space on his MPC I guess lol. Signed my cassette copy of half of where you live too, nice guy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gold panda put on a super good live show when I saw him in Berlin around the release of Half of where you live. It was one of those perfect handoffs where he was able to carry the energy of the previous DJs but the switch into live and long versions of his own tracks was refreshing and made everyone go crazy.

I saw him in Austin, probably same year (same tour anyway I think). Good energy from his openers, a local guy Corduroi and another guy named slow magic. All three of them definitely had more than just a laptop, Corduroi was doing stuff off his ableton pad, slow magic had actual drums, and Gold Panda had a MPC and drum machine and a bunch of other controllers. He actually had to get his laptop out to play his encore because he didn't have space on his MPC I guess lol. Signed my cassette copy of half of where you live too, nice guy.

Since you're in Austin, have you seen Slugbug live? I'm obsessed with his Truck Month album right now. New wave revamp greatness:

https://slugbug.bandcamp.com/album/truck-month

Kraftwerk are very satisfying live. Human League have been really good on occasion, full live electronic band, pity they play so much of their pop singles though. Depeche Mode used to sound colossal before they were Americanized. Performance wise though, difficult unless you are playing less live or have a muppet in the band. Coil put on a real performance and still sound cool. Factory Floor do the whole packet of perfect for me, crazy bright flashing random screen and detached lost in music appearance, all too busy to be 'performing'. Possibly Daft Punk if you consider a pyramid a performance!?!?

I saw Mouse on Mars a while ago, and it was good, but I was disappointed Dodo Nkishi wasn't with them. The vids I've seen of them playing with Dodo on drums & vocals look way more fun. More of a live band kinda shindig.

Archived