IGNORED

I would kill for more Voafose

NI64

I dunno - maybe it's just me, but I am absolutely enthralled with this guy's work. He has a certain unmistakable touch that I have yet to hear replicated by any other artist. Most people know him from his collabs with Luke - Weirs and Rodulate, which, needless to say, are fucking excellent, and held high on a pedestal by many others besides myself. It's even in this early work that you can hear his distinctive sound - strange, eerie, distorted tones that just make the hairs of your neck stand on end. It would seem as if most of the material on these albums, aside from the drums, can be attributed to him. Certainly the ambient tracks (Reservoir, Weirs, & Chamber 364) sound almost entirely Voafose (I can also almost guarantee he's behind 'Story'). But who knows.

Then there's his other, lesser know collaborations. He did a few tracks with Boymerang back in the day. Again his unusual sound is present. Listen to this one if you haven't heard it before:

There was also Analoggins, off Analord 06 - credited to him and Richard. While it's a little muddled together, I think you can still tell it's him in the background there. Just sounds like a crazy freestyle hardware jam between the two.

Where I really get caught up is his solo album from '08. This is Voafose at his deepest and most mesmeric. The tracks are half dark sonic excursions and half bizarre tape experiments, extracted from what the liner notes call a "20 year archive of material." No matter how many times I listen to this album I just cannot wrap my head around it. The mood is so uneasy, so unique, I just don't know how to feel about it. It keeps me coming back. Even the tracks that are just warbled TV recordings are so expertly manipulated that I can listen to them again and again. There's just so much to hear! The sound seems to go on forever. But then, a little under an hour later...it's over! And that's the last we ever heard from him.

Maybe Mike & Rich have got me spoiled with their massive archives being unleashed, but really, I can't think of any unreleased material I'd want to hear more. His discography is just so short and yet so endlessly fascinating. You can listen to every track he's ever touched in an afternoon, but with a so-called '20 year archive of material', I can't even begin to imagine what else could be out there. But, I digress. Just wishful thinking and music nerding on my part. But hey, that's what WATMM is for, right?

Thanks so much for reminding me of this! Gonna settle down and have a nice listen to the Voafose album tonight. Pretty bummed to hear that there may not be more music forthcoming tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that CD, always been intrigued by the artwork but could never find a copy until a few years ago. I really couldn't tell when something would have his trademark on it though, but I do happen to really like all the things he worked on, which yeah, isn't a lot. Big up to Voafose.

I remember reading a recent-ish interview with Vibert saying Voafose retired from music, even though Luke pushes him to do another album? Something like that, memory is hazy.

Yeah, remember him saying something along those lines. Another question - does anyone even know what he looks like? I dont know that I've ever seen a photo of Mr. Simmonds. Kind of lends to the enigma a bit

• 3 months later...

After the release of the Voafose album I contacted the album art designer and he told me that Jeremy had some new realease going on. At that time you could visit his own website voafose.com but the only thing to see there was this wine red page and a text in the middle said like "49284940534 welcomist".

I had a picture of him a long time ago and he looks like a random dude nothing special. 

Hoping for more releases! (Please Jeremy Simmonds aka Voafose)

Archived