IGNORED

3 synth trax

th555

Contrast between the lush, Mr. Fingers-y bass and the radio filtered hats in the second one is quite nice.

I'm going to provide a counterpoint here... So we've got the dreamy resonant bass and filter sweeps, like Mr. Fingers or maybe even FUSE... and juxtaposing it, the harsh, brittle hi-hat. In theory, that's a really neat idea, but in terms of actual execution, the hi-hat's a bit too harsh to pull it off. Just level it slightly quieter, or EQ it slightly less harsh, maybe...

So this one time I was in hospital for a week, drifting in and out of consciousness, I had this album I'd listen to, RH-8SB. I love that album. I'm not sure how many there are like it. The closest I have is The End of Tel Aviv, also fantastic. Is this a genre? Ambient glitch or something? Anyway, I'd totally recommend listening to those. They pair the dreamy ambience with distorted nastiness, but it's done in a really nice way, with the nastiness being subdued, not overwhelming. They'd make good reference material for this pleasant/harsh dichotomy you're going for.

You could probably stand to add another layer or two as well, but that's probably more a personal choice. :)

This is kinda funny in that I think this is the first time where the music could be drastically improved with the engineering of the mix, whereas most people making electronic music seem to think that's the case when usually it's more an issue with the music itself. Anyway, I love the juxtaposition here, and think you should experiment more with it, especially taking great care to get the balance just right. In my experience, music is usually all about balance.

half sqeep is a really really nice track, the release between notes seems to keep my ear, and in itself the pads are very relaxing. The gritty hi hats provide a nice reflection to the pads. I also love the way you finished the tune, I was actually expecting a simple fade out. I was delighted with the ending. I love simple tunes, that have sweet little ending, or midpoints. Along the lines of BOC's Happy Cycling (when the tunes breaks a few minutes in) and Orbitals Adains (from Insides, it breaks about again 4:03). Well done.

The other two I did'nt enjoy, I couldn't get to the end of them. There's an irritating low level osculation in Schlieroglyph that goes through me, and MeoZe Vena pitches so high in points it irritates my ears. The flager on the high hat make the hi hat sound a little too thin for me.

But massive kudos on "half sqeep" I really enjoyed it.

Guest GateFour

6/8 track is really cool... the distorted stuff is a bit too much for my taste :biggrin:

i love the fact that you have such a large variety of styles in your tunes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived