IGNORED

AE the ultimate folk music - 2001 Interview with Sean

wredny

De:Bug: Where is Autechre going with this next album?

Sean: Nah. Nah nah.

De:Bug: Not a specific….

Sean: No. Not because we didn´t have anything specific in mind when we did the tracks. I don´t want to pretend now that we´ve got something.

Sean level hard.

Do people really read French philosophy of the 20th century (of any kind)? I mean it's cool and everything... but do you really read that shit. Sean's explanation doesn't give it away

De:Bug: It´s something that I have been waiting for years, that somebody comes out with programs as a music format.

Sean: We´ve already released one on the fals label, but only a little one. With music that performs a little visual process as well.

?

oh yeah I remember that fals.ch compilation (and website), not sure why I never bought that tbh!

edit

here: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Falsch-02/release/410894

CD-ROM with MP3, Quicktime video, and computer files. Includes an HTML file with an index of contents and a PDF file with artwork. Also includes two programs: "mp3q" by Atau Tanaka (fb37), and "9Û5©03^.¶·5K70¸12i--) ..1`2`|||" by Gescom (fb38).

A weekend party at Sean's lush countryside gaff may include: moving around the room completely mashed on mushrooms eaten from a big pot on the stove, fiddling with various equipment, not completely knowing what's a record and what's not a record and occasionally dancing in loops whilst invisible.

A weekend party at Sean's lush countryside gaff may include: moving around the room completely mashed on mushrooms eaten from a big pot on the stove, fiddling with various equipment, not completely knowing what's a record and what's not a record and occasionally dancing in loops whilst invisible.

flol

also do not bring out your r8 to show sean a wicked beat.

also, no one fucking mention "generative music" ffs

Good interview. Sean talking about how they're carefree, just make tracks and a year later compile an album. They're pretty meticulous in the track orders though, it's not a case of the track order being thrown together. They have a strategy about how they should be laid out. Should have asked them about this in AAA. Dang.

"Computers are just the cheapest way for people to make music now and it is going to kick off, it is going to fucking kick off. Next 10 years is going to be insane. The next few years there is going to be a really major upsurge because now it is not only kids that are into electronic music or dance music that are using computers it`s everyone. Anyone who is into music is getting one."

"Computers are just the cheapest way for people to make music now and it is going to kick off, it is going to fucking kick off. Next 10 years is going to be insane. The next few years there is going to be a really major upsurge because now it is not only kids that are into electronic music or dance music that are using computers it`s everyone. Anyone who is into music is getting one."

Interesting because i remember around that time or maybe later there was another interview in which they where surprised why electronic music didnt get weirder, varied, more inventive, unique well something like that. I think they where refering to the possibilities of max/msp , coding ...

anyway thats long ago and the last few years gave us some great records but that thougt stuck with me, cause they are right most electronic based musicians dont use the full potential of music software.(me included)

great interview! i love the Derrida bit. very tempted to comb through his work in relation to the music.

that's what I love about AE really... so abstract that you keep combing back trying to crack the code.

Sean doesnt believe therez a genius. I disagree! ...and it's not about technique mastery it's about perception. Normal people 'see' what they know but genious can see even what they dont know. Once they saw it they can transform thaz into a knowledge and only then we other can see it too. Ae is a perfect example of this. Rob would understand! Sean, better read some kant and schopenhauer. :)

I couldn't read it without hearing his voice saying it. It was quite tiresome, because I'd reread a word everytime I 'heard' it pronounced wrong (accent etc.).

I couldn't read it without hearing his voice saying it. It was quite tiresome, because I'd reread a word everytime I 'heard' it pronounced wrong (accent etc.).

It would be freeeeking sweet if there was an app for that! Everything being read in Sean's voice...

The next step could be: Rob's app live mixing Sean's voice with fucking next level beats!

Shit I'm stoned... Pendulu THC moda.

De:Bug: It´s something that I have been waiting for years, that somebody comes out with programs as a music format.

Sean: We´ve already released one on the fals label, but only a little one. With music that performs a little visual process as well.

?

Yeah, I remember that little app! I used it on my os 9 mac and it chewed the graphics on the screen and made a lot of noice while doing it!

Good interview. Sean talking about how they're carefree, just make tracks and a year later compile an album. They're pretty meticulous in the track orders though, it's not a case of the track order being thrown together. They have a strategy about how they should be laid out. Should have asked them about this in AAA. Dang.

"yeah loads" - Sean ae

Archived