IGNORED

Shuffleduck

ZoeB

Hi everyone!

So I'm trying to get back into the habit of music making. This is my first track in months, Shuffleduck. It's sort of quirky ambient techno, ish, maybe?
Off the top of my head, next time I could do with actually having chord progressions, varying sections, maybe the occasional key change, and definitely velocities. (This just has accented hi-hats as the only velocity varied part.) I'm sure there's a bunch more things I've forgotten that I should also bear in mind in the future. Is there anything obvious or important I've missed? Anything that strikes you as too boring about this track? I'd love to know more things I should bear in mind while making future tracks. Thanks!

i like it, sounded quirky and fun. Its already stuck in my head and the hat that comes in at 1:01 is great.

I don't think it needed any more of a chord progression than you had, there was enough movement in the melody that it wasn't stale. Same goes for having varying sections, you had enough of them that it felt like a complete song. The only thing that stood out to me was that the melody that comes in at 0:50 runs for almost the full length of the song, that might be the only thing that detracts from the progression of the song. Hope you're able to get back into it and make more

Thank you! You're right, I tend to over-rely on having a simple arpeggio play throughout sometimes, and especially that one doesn't even change at all as there aren't any chords in this particular track. That part was originally supposed to be a simple acidline, but I tried it out on the pad patch before tearing it apart, and with the accidentally overlapping notes it sounded better than the acid version. That and the acid version I recorded ended up being out of tune.

Mwahaha, the fact it got stuck in your head is the best feedback I've heard yet, thanks! :D The earworm attacks! ^.^

• 1 month later...

Hey Zoe,

I liked it - and you use a lot of modulars iirc so if it is what it is, then its fine as it is.

Not always easy to go back and change bits if so

This is great! Someone described it as quirky and I think that's spot-on. I'd also go well for like children's television or something.

Also, the production is top notch and everything fits perfectly in the mix :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived