IGNORED

Can Richard still make good music?

bubbhasdance

sorry but your question is very dumb because you forget 3 major things.

1. he was quite for a very long time (except for some tuss) that means a lot of old tracks

2. some tracks may be old but he reworked them for sure, that means they are actually new

3. he is Aphex Twin

also pls someone lock this thread for ever cause its pure blasphemy towards our God

Thanks for the input!

youre welcome :wink:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gonna have to disagree with myself here cause I just realized a lot of his dump stuff is from the time when he released music consistently so that point is kinda null... I think?

Anyway I don't really like this kinda discussion... all this speculation about people we know next to nothing about, It all amounts to nothing. I'd rather just talk about what there is than what there could be

marchromt is one of the best tracks in his entire catalogue imho

Indeed.

I personally don't care how old the tracks are. They're new to me.

there's lag because you age it for perspective for selecting

earth portal is one of the great songs of humanity

xmas eve is from the future of an alternate timeline

people always want things to be the way they used to be. they always want it to do it again.

there's lag because you age it for perspective for selecting

earth portal is one of the great songs of humanity

xmas eve is from the future of an alternate timeline

people always want things to be the way they used to be. they always want it to do it again.

Hai.

In my opinion, he probably never has to make anymore tracks ever again because he has already made the two best electronic tracks of all time:

XMAS EVE

and

Synthacon 9.

My opinion.

I don't think he's ever "stagnated" I think he just does what he wants to do. You put this expectation on him to do something that you consider innovative, he's not some kid anymore, but he's still got chops and he's still makes amazing music (that at least I consider innovative). I think he just does what he wants to work towards. He seems particularly active lately. Just give it time bro. Shit, I've never heard anything quite like marchromt30a, one of the newest tracks we've heard. Probably my favorite off syro.

Even if he can't, he's made enough amazing music to rest on his laurels for life. He owes us nothing.

That said, The Richard D. James Album: 2016 Version is a good idea for an album title.

Even if he can't, he's made enough amazing music to rest on his laurels for life. He owes us nothing.

This. (but maybe not money-wise and that is why he's back?)

And my answer to the title question is: I don't know, he hasn't really convinced me yet... I liked the Tuss, Syro was mostly meh - detailed programming without tracks worth programming so detailed in the first place.

Of course the man can still write great songs. I just hope he isn't done with wild innovation. For about the last decade I have been waiting for him to fully escape the clutches of already existing genre's and sound palletes. That may or may not be rather unreasonable of me though, I haven't decided yet. :cerious:

Just clarifying, I didn't mean to sound like Rich Boy owed me or any other listener anything. He's definitely done more than enough in his lifetime to never put out anything again. It's just an observation that he seems to be focusing a lot on past works the last few years or so, just has me wondering about what he's been up to since. I'd very much be up for him starting an album from scratch today or something; I couldn't imagine what that would sound like, and that's exciting!

Of course the man can still write great songs. I just hope he isn't done with wild innovation. For about the last decade I have been waiting for him to fully escape the clutches of already existing genre's and sound palletes. That may or may not be rather unreasonable of me though, I haven't decided yet. :cerious:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if he took the Tuss/Syro style off for a while, and looked into something totally different for him. Not so much new or innovative, but something we don't expect from Aphex Twin is all. But again, it's absolutely okay if he's in his comfy zone now - the tracks are still enjoyable, and he's innovated enough for sure.

I'd very much be up for him starting an album from scratch today or something; I couldn't imagine what that would sound like, and that's exciting!

probably already in the works my friend

I too wish that my favorite artists would shovel fresh baked loads of tracks into me via internet, as AE alluded to in their interview. I'd like to know what was kickin around in his studio last night. But if I were him, would I share early drafts of my new shit or polish it til it shines? I'm happy with whatever he decides to do, and I certainly join in the hope that he'll smash out some wicked drills again soon.

I'd very much be up for him starting an album from scratch today or something; I couldn't imagine what that would sound like, and that's exciting!

I'd very much be up for him dumping a load of spunk down your throat in honor of the cringey novelty act you touted around town until it was time to change character and avatar.

i think yes! i bet he has tons of shit that doesn't even sound like "afx", yeah would love to hear some of that in good time

I'd very much be up for him dumping a load of spunk down your throat in honor of the cringey novelty act you touted around town until it was time to change character and avatar.

*cumshots fired*

It's the people listening to his music that have said he's 'innovative' or like 'Mozart'. All he every did was just make music he liked and decided to release some of it. Any pressure to be innovative is from the outside, and for some reason directed onto him pretty hard. Or at least it used to be. I think people are getting the picture these days.

Damn, nice!

When you make music your best tracks come out when you are in the mindset of "Wow, I like what I'm hearing". You can't make transcendent trax just by thinking "I think I'm going to be innovative today". It's all about your ears.

Now on subject, yes, RDJ can and does. It sounds different, but IMO it's all just as good. RDJ's talent isn't in one sound, it is just his talent. Even his most simple trax are totally unique and trancendant because of the talent behind it.

[youtubehd]6cCp1UFslwY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]Ixe50ZppakI[/youtubehd]

eg.

Shrymoming mix :ok:

Sounds relatively new to me. He's in the great position not having or wanting to proof himself anymore, which is where the best stuff happens (granted you love it).

Archived