IGNORED

I want a synth

I know this isn't what you are thinking of... but why not go with a DAW that can emulate hardware synths, as many different devices as your computer can handle? You can skip the whole record-to-computer part, and you can automate and tightly control every part of the process. I'd recommend Propellerhead Reason, which costs $400.

You'll have access to wavetable, subtractive, multiplicative, and FM synthesis with just the default rack instruments.

If you don't have your mind set on hardware, I would seriously recommend looking into it. It's as intuitive as using a hardware synth and way more powerful in the long run. Probably the best bang for your buck if you're just starting out, because it also has drum machines, samplers, effects, etc. If you press tab, you can see virtual cables that let you plug in devices any way you want, so it really feels like a rack of hardware instruments.

I'll stop proselytizing now.

• 2 weeks later...

A good idea for a first synth. - Makes acid, pads, modulated bass, fx, effects, cv outs, external in, amazing sequencer, loads of patch storage, Plocks, overbridge, its a soundcard & a vst & something you can program in bed.

quite a hifi modern sound, analogue. Brilliant at drums.. Certainly wont be limited by getting a synth that cant make something you desire (like synth drums)

Then later add specific synths for sounds, like a tt303 for exact 303 emu, bigger poly, more elektrons, something with CV ins etc

op-1 is great but it's not your typical synth. would definitely research exactly what you're getting with it versus some of the other recommendations.

a4 is great too

• 2 weeks later...

£500 budget.

I am thinking Roland JD-Xi I can't find anything else that has all the features....

I don't want a desktop DAW etc, I downloaded a free one and never used it...

have you considered a workstation? You could get a nice second hand workstation for 500 quid easy. got a Roland RS-5 recently for 100 bux. Loaded with usable sounds and easy to use. Main downside for this particular one is no aftertouch

Will prob upgrade to a Yamaha MX when I can find one cheap

i've been looking at new synths recently and i'm looking to get a bass station 2. i think it'd be great for a first synth and if i was buying a "first synth" again i think i'd go for that. it seems to have a nice range of "classic" and modern sounds, plenty of knobs, built in sequencer and arpeggiator, patch storage + a bunch of other stuff all meaning it'd be a great choice to learn basic synthesis on.

i'm not particularly familiar with the jd-xi but it sounds a bit cheap/thin imo. it's more in line with the microkorg and mininova, which can make some good sounds and do a wide range of things but at the sacrifice of doing any one thing really well. they would be good synths to begin with, but if you want something with more longevity i don't think they are a good choice (though i do like the microkorg).

• 3 weeks later...

3. I don't have a DAW so I need something that will work with freeware. USB preferably.

Download Reaper right away!  You won't regret it.  Not freeware but the only limitation on the demo is a nag screen, other than that it's identical to the full version.

http://reaper.fm/

This.

If you dont have stellar budget:

get a Mopho module , cheap and awesome,if you want a vintage or a poly get a JX 8P with a computer editor and you are ready for serious business!

Archived