IGNORED

Mike & Rich album turned 20 years old [Planet Mu Reissue]

FilziSH

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is a funny interview with them taken from MUZIK Magazine №15 August 1996

... In an attempt to capture their unique musical rapport, we decided to get them together over a bottle of vodka or three, present them with a few words and phrases, and let them wind their lateral way round the houses.

Here's what happened...

Are you taking the piss, lads?

Rich: "We have a laugh with our music, but that doesn't mean we're taking the piss."

Mike: "We definitely don't take the piss out of the people who buy our stuff. I think what you're getting at is how the music we're into, be it easy listening or funk, is often seen as joke music. But we actually like it. Apart from when the media try to sell it back to us as pseudo-trendy London music."

Rich: "So 'no' is the answer."

Mike: "Some easy listening stuff is excellent, though. Especially 'Moog Indigo'."

Rich: "Yeah, they want me to remix it along with James Lavelle."

Mike: "I'd agree to do it on the condition James Lavelle doesn't."

Rich: "Anyway, what's the point of making music if you can't have a laugh?"

Mike: "Yeah, remember those really boring kids who never had a laugh at school? They'd probably make really boring music. I often hear records and think, 'He must have been a boring fucker at school'."

Rich: "What's up with you, Mike? You didn't used to talk this much. I suppose the fame must have affected your personality."

Mike: "No, I was just always quiet with you because you try to play games with people's heads. You're like a bully. And what you do with bullies is ignore them so they go away."

Rich: "But it doesn't work. The bully ends up kicking the shit out of you even more. Or in my case, it makes me want to play more mind games with you."

Oh wow, I have been searching for this interview for years, literally. Back in 1996 I read it sitting in a cafe near Berwick st somewhere and it always stuck in my head because they did seem to be getting pissed off with each other. Mike calls Rich a bully. Rich talks about Mike's wife having an Aphex tattoo. Rich calls Mikes quality control crap. Mike calls Rephlex crap. etc...

I'm pretty sure this is the only copy of the interview that has ever made it onto the internet because I've googled it before and never found it.

Congrats FilziSH for getting it up here.

You are welcome :)

Found it two mounth ago in Muzik Magazine pdf archive, page 44:

http://www.muzikmagazine.co.uk/issues/muzik015_august_1996.pdf

Not the best scan quality, I think my post is more comfortable to read but there is couple awesome photos by Colin Hawkins of Mike and Rich with bottle of vodka, hope we can see it in good digital quality after reissue came up I'm sure some magazines made a review using some pics from that set.

Edited by FilziSH

Less than 100 copies left of the blue vinyl and its limited to 500 copies worldwide supposedly.

On the Planet Mu store am i wrong in thinking that if you put a silly number into the quantity it will go to the amount that they have left in stock?

well it says that the blue vinyl is now out of stock but when i sign in there is over 800 in my basket, can't be since there is only 500 worldwide...someones lying.

You are welcome :)

Found it two mounth ago in Muzik Magazine pdf archive, page 44:

http://www.muzikmagazine.co.uk/issues/muzik015_august_1996.pdf

Not the best scan quality, I think my post is more comfortable to read but there is couple awesome photos by Colin Hawkins of Mike and Rich with bottle of vodka, hope we can see it in good digital quality after reissue came up I'm sure some magazines made a review using some pics from that set.

Great find FilziSH.

For anyone interested in just the interview itself - extracted those pages.

Mike&Rich-muzik015_Aug_1996.pdf

well it says that the blue vinyl is now out of stock but when i sign in there is over 800 in my basket, can't be since there is only 500 worldwide...someones lying.

It's not out of stock, the cassette is. the stock numbers inputted by bleep are not the actual stock btw. 500 blue vinyl is what's being manufactured.

It's not out of stock, the cassette is. the stock numbers inputted by bleep are not the actual stock btw. 500 blue vinyl is what's being manufactured.

sound as a pound

Pre-ordered the CD and poster. Can't remember the last time I pre-ordered an album on CD lol

Did anyone else get an instant download of Vodka (Mix 2) that turned out to be Portamento Gosh? (from the Mu Bleepstore)

Yes the wav and mp3 are definitely not Vodka (Mix 2) but not sure what track it is, the flac ended up being a jpeg of the cover

(track is 2:02 or so)

Pre-ordered the CD and poster. Can't remember the last time I pre-ordered an album on CD lol

Did anyone else get an instant download of Vodka (Mix 2) that turned out to be Portamento Gosh? (from the Mu Bleepstore)

Yes the wav and mp3 are definitely not Vodka (Mix 2) but not sure what track it is, the flac ended up being a jpeg of the cover

Just noticed the filenames refer to Vodka (Mix 2) but the tags on the mp3 come up as Portamento Gosh

Just noticed the filenames refer to Vodka (Mix 2) but the tags on the mp3 come up as Portamento Gosh

Yeah it's def Portamento. I recognise it from the preview snippets.