IGNORED

Petty arguing outlet?

sweepstakes

This shit is leaking into a bunch of other threads and I think it's probably time to deal with it - can we just have a subforum, maybe under GenBan, for it? It can be entertaining in small doses but when it keeps bumping threads on the front page it's just annoying. It would be great to have an outlet for this because some folks just really feel the need but it'd be nice if it could be done in a way that wouldn't ruin everyone else's enjoyment. I know that posts have been moved between threads before to consolidate them so I'd assume that could be done in these cases too (e.g. "EU" -> "EU - Sam Harris spinoff"). A general pissing trough for each of those pesky argument-magnet topics (e.g. one just for Mr. Harris himself), would do too (or one giant smelly cesspit, for that matter, e.g. "Atheism, Religion, and Your Own Shitty Opinion").

I'm mostly thinking of the totally trite religious/political arguments that have been cropping up with increasing frequency (gotta love election year) but I think that any time this suspender-wearing gentleman's comment is appropriate would pretty much cover it:

Just a thought. Love ya, mods!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I don't see a change in forum-structure as a solution to people having some personal hot-button topics they like to regress to in every discussion they take part in. It's the people, not the forum. Communication is key.

Having a heatsink is good though!

Also, the lack of boobs/buts/legs-pics is to blame. Nerds and repressed sexual tensions tend to lead to heated debates, if you catch my drift ;-p

guess what!!!!! there are a bunch of awesome christians of all denominations I love!! Also hey—jews of all sorts...you know me...I know you...we cool!! And to my muslim friends...Al-ḥamdu lillāh!!! <3 u guize. My sikh bros...u know I love your stuff...*daps*...........any buddhists in the house? *namaste* ————jainists...you are better beings than I ever will be. unendless love for you. Every other faith and non-faith...I love you!!!

Guest Morphy

I doubt its possible but It would be great if you could easily challenge a member to a game of checkers through their profile or something. Squash beefs on the court.

I suggested WATMM witch-burnings multiple times in CHATMM. We all mob up on people we don't like, devote a thread to them, insult them until they have to say something, then ban them or enact a feature where they can only view the locked thread that once contained their downfall upon logging in.

I don't know why they haven't caught steam. It'd be for the greater good.

giphy.gif

(In all seriousness, it'd be nice to not have the same 3-5 people starting the same 3-5 revolving-topic post-wars. Let's make a battleground or call it something like 'the audible heated gaseous emission chamber')

Maybe lock people in the petty subforum untill they're ready to move on?

you know how bonobos don't fight like chimps because they fuck all the time to resolve conflict - well we all need to post naked pics of ourselves (maybe a dick/vag pics subforum) and then all jack off together

ok with you Joyrex?

The solution isn't an outlet or segregation; it's learning to communicate and discuss things in a mature, thoughtful, and respectful way.

Of course, there are topics and things people say that will get a rise out of other people, but the key to deflating those statements is to NOT respond in a similar manner.

Having a forum dedicated for bad behaviour is just encouraging that and not what we as a community want.

The new forum software has a reputation feature - I think that will be a useful benchmark for people to call out people on bad behaviour and hopefully get them to reconsider their actions.

The new forum software has a reputation feature - I think that will be a useful benchmark for people to call out people on bad behaviour and hopefully get them to reconsider their actions.

Ooh if that's anything like the karma feature in phpbb that will not end well !

Yeah... thankfully it's an optional feature - it's still under consideration.

Yeah... thankfully it's an optional feature - it's still under consideration.

positive reinforcement might work, negative votes would be a source of much trolling I think.

Archived