IGNORED

Softube Modular (Software Eurorack)

flacid

Any of you guys used or heard about this? Some decent sound examples here > http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=modular

"Created in close collaboration with Doepfer, Softube Modular gives you both the sound, flexibility and expandability of a true analog modular synthesizer. But Softube Modular is more than just another virtual synthesizer plug-in—it's an entirely new modular synth standard."

__modular_screenshot__350w.jpg

[youtubehd]VsLKl0v0Tl4[/youtubehd]

Was gonna get this at the intro price but it utterly kills Ableton 9.6 on a 64bit Windows machine (i.e. what I'm running) so I'm glad I tried the demo before investing. Apparently it's a known bug and they're 'working on it'

Not really a fan of having to purchase each module (and future module) separately too - would prefer to buy the thing outright ....

Bazille on the other hand, mmmm fabulous little VST !

Some of my favorite VSTs are software modulars like this.

https://www.u-he.com/cms/bazille Is GREAT (examples at bottom)

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/modular-v is good (ex at bottom)

Bazille, sounds very interesting! (hadn't heard of it before) but the examples sounds are great quality. Can you use it on multiple tracks without killing a DAW?

Was gonna get this at the intro price but it utterly kills Ableton 9.6 on a 64bit Windows machine (i.e. what I'm running) so I'm glad I tried the demo before investing. Apparently it's a known bug and they're 'working on it'

Not really a fan of having to purchase each module (and future module) separately too - would prefer to buy the thing outright ....

Bazille on the other hand, mmmm fabulous little VST !

Yeah read about issues with DAW's and wanted to get other people's feedback. Personally I think the sounds are great but if I can't use it for multiple tracks then it makes it pointless. Hopefully they do work on it as I'd be keen to try it out at it's current price. Agreed on the separate modules... I get it if they add more in the future but they should allow you to buy all of them as a bundle.

Hopefully in a year or so they'll do a big bundle version and they'll have worked out the DAW bugs (and may be a touch cheaper) ... then I'll get it!

Bazille is quite strong on your CPU (as with their Diva VST) but it has a draft and high-quality switch on the front panel for real-time vs rendering quality modes, it also supports multiple core CPUs. On my 5 year old laptop it'll hit around 25% CPU for polyphonic patches. All their demos are good representations of the full builds though so worth a try to guage CPU performanc - the only differences are intermittent noise crackles with the demo versions

Bazille, sounds very interesting! (hadn't heard of it before) but the examples sounds are great quality. Can you use it on multiple tracks without killing a DAW?

It's not too bad but I am biased with this as my computer is pretty fast. I actually don't use bazille for midi though.

You can actually get a lot out of it with just the demo. What you do is just record what's coming out of it while manually automating it. I like it better that way actually and have used that method in lots of tracks, and just pitched things. I love the way it's set up, and the things you can do with it. And doing it this way, your sounds sound much more 'wild' than if you put down automation clips for everything. It's great.

On my 5 year old laptop it'll hit around 25% CPU

damn I am spoiled. I can open SOOOO many vsts myself. And I'm still needing/wanting an upgrade >.>

You can actually get a lot out of it with just the demo. What you do is just record what's coming out of it while manually automating it. I like it better that way actually and have used that method in lots of tracks, and just pitched things. I love the way it's set up, and the things you can do with it. And doing it this way, your sounds sound much more 'wild' than if you put down automation clips for everything. It's great.

What do you mean by 'record what's coming out of it' when you haven't told it what to play? I like the idea of manually automating a stream of sound for weirdness. Have done similar with an Octatrack.

it's an exciting idea, i'm sure a lot of purists would scoff at the idea of a software emulator of analogue eurorack sounds, but any flexible instrument that sounds good on the ears cannot be a bad thing. and the price isn't too bad, i too would love to see a bundle sold together as a kit during some sale event. it would be weird if they didn't do that.

softube make some pretty ace plugins. what's really frustrating however is that they offer a great saturator as a freebie, but you need to download their whole vst suite before you can install it.

Yeah, I know a lot of purists would instantly be against it but have seen a lot of software fans on here so thought I'd see whether anyone knew more. Personally I think it sounds great and have seen people elsewhere say that the sounds are actually very close. I'm going to email them to see whether they will be looking to offer it as a bundle, fingers crossed.

I've never heard of them before but to be honest I don't really keep my ear to the ground with software. I actually heard about it when a Youtube advert caught my eye! :emb:

it's an exciting idea, i'm sure a lot of purists would scoff at the idea of a software emulator of analogue eurorack sounds, but any flexible instrument that sounds good on the ears cannot be a bad thing. and the price isn't too bad, i too would love to see a bundle sold together as a kit during some sale event. it would be weird if they didn't do that.

softube make some pretty ace plugins. what's really frustrating however is that they offer a great saturator as a freebie, but you need to download their whole vst suite before you can install it.

Yeah, I know a lot of purists would instantly be against it but have seen a lot of software fans on here so thought I'd see whether anyone knew more. Personally I think it sounds great and have seen people elsewhere say that the sounds are actually very close. I'm going to email them to see whether they will be looking to offer it as a bundle, fingers crossed.

I've never heard of them before but to be honest I don't really keep my ear to the ground with software. I actually heard about it when a Youtube advert caught my eye! :emb:

I assume by purists you guys mean rich cunts, right?

Bazille is dope, everyone should have that synth.

lol, you can be a 'purist' with cheap gear but yeah probably. Not everyone who prefers analog have a lot of money.

lol, you can be a 'purist' with cheap gear but yeah probably. Not everyone who prefers analog have a lot of money.

I'm just teasing. I just wanted that some of that sweet low hanging fruit. The comment was more of a statement about "purists" looking down on people for using emulated soft synths. Now, back to looking up analog synths I'll never be able to afford.

What do you mean by 'record what's coming out of it' when you haven't told it what to play? I like the idea of manually automating a stream of sound for weirdness. Have done similar with an Octatrack.

just record the audio man. alternatively you can record the midi and automation together and then edit the stuff with your mouse. Record like 5-10 minutes worth of each idea you find.

When putting it in a song, close your eyes and listen intently to the samples. There WILL be standout moments. Cut these out and place them to the side. Go through the whole clip then see where you can use the standout moments in your track. That's one way of doing it. You can also just listen to your recorded bits and a track at the sound time and listen for points that magically line up.

Totally pointless. Reaktor, Max/MSP, Nord Modular, etc. etc. etc. will give you far more flexibility than this. Why on Earth this concept went further than the rough sketches I don't know.

just record the audio man. alternatively you can record the midi and automation together and then edit the stuff with your mouse. Record like 5-10 minutes worth of each idea you find.

When putting it in a song, close your eyes and listen intently to the samples. There WILL be standout moments. Cut these out and place them to the side. Go through the whole clip then see where you can use the standout moments in your track. That's one way of doing it. You can also just listen to your recorded bits and a track at the sound time and listen for points that magically line up.

lol... yeah I've done stuff like this before. I don't usually like to go back and snip audio together but I'm learning currently with breaks and am enjoying that.

Totally pointless. Reaktor, Max/MSP, Nord Modular, etc. etc. etc. will give you far more flexibility than this. Why on Earth this concept went further than the rough sketches I don't know.

Nice :) Glad to hear this. I've got Ableton so you'd recommend I look further into Max/MSP instead?

Nice :) Glad to hear this. I've got Ableton so you'd recommend I look further into Max/MSP instead?

Certainly, Max can do incredible things if you put the time in. If you're less certain about getting into "hardcore programming" then Reaktor is still a great shout, and there's plenty of integration available between any DAW and the Reaktor VST/AU plugins.

Certainly, Max can do incredible things if you put the time in. If you're less certain about getting into "hardcore programming" then Reaktor is still a great shout, and there's plenty of integration available between any DAW and the Reaktor VST/AU plugins.

Yeah, I've only just read properly into Reaktor. Can't believe I slept on that. Going to watch a few videos and see if it's for me.

Recent versions of Max and Reaktor have their own modular rack systems now but I'll be interested to give the demo a whirl.

The high CPU reports though are giving me pause. There must be some insane amounts of oversampling going on.

It really just depends on how fast you want results, and what kinda results you want. If you like what you're hearing from the base, you can lob some FX on it and call it a day, assuming you like how it sounds.

Don't forget, the more control you have over a sound, the more time you'll have to spend messing with it. Maybe you're a 'perfectionist' anyway.

It really just depends on how fast you want results, and what kinda results you want. If you like what you're hearing from the base, you can lob some FX on it and call it a day, assuming you like how it sounds.

Don't forget, the more control you have over a sound, the more time you'll have to spend messing with it. Maybe you're a 'perfectionist' anyway.

It's not speed so much but 'quality'. The jam tracks that I have done previously have been fun with more focus on speed and playing live but now I'm looking to spend a lot more time on a track I'll be willing to get things closer to how I want them.

would def recommend reaktor over max/msp if you're primarily interested in making music. you have to do a lot more work and have a very deep knowledge about how sound works to build a synth in max that sounds good. that work has already been done for you in reaktor and yet it is still extremely flexible & able to be modified to suit your needs.

I think its a great idea. I would love to demo some of the modules andn make patches then save them so I can recreate later with my actual modular.

Has anyone put it up against the real deal of any of the modules?

I think its a great idea. I would love to demo some of the modules andn make patches then save them so I can recreate later with my actual modular.

Has anyone put it up against the real deal of any of the modules?

Yeah, I'd love to see a comparison too. Unfortunately there isn't many if any decent demos of this (although it is still relatively new) which is what lead me to go with Reaktor instead. Maybe one to go back too in the future. What modular have you got? Do you think that software can *really* get close to modular sound?

ive got a euro & macbeth 5U

No, ive not heard any software come close to the filters & running things at audio rate, or some of the perfectly in tune supersonic no aliasing high octaves I can get out of some of my oscillators...

I cant see intellijel making a software shapeshifter but they could, but I doubt it for a few years at least

Archived