IGNORED

Stranger Things

Atop

Have you watched it yet?

I loved it.

Some plot holes but I think the editting was probably viscious to keep this thing at 8 episodes.

I love the combo of influences that are well worn on the sleeves of this series.

Richard Matheson and John Carpenter came to mind first while watching. Then Spielberg and Cronenberg creep up in to it. Twilight Zone as fuck also.

Really fucking entertaining, well-acted and well-produced on the whole.

The music fucking rules......members of the band SURVIVE provided the excellent music.

I hope it becomes an anthology series with new stories each season.

What do you think?

Yeah, it's definitely a great mix of Stephen King, Spielberg, X-Files, The Goonies etc. It's almost like a love letter to those things.

I loved the first season, I loved the kids, the music, the look of it, the intro (holy shit, that intro is amazing). The only thing I think deserves a slap on the bottom is

the black room where El goes when she's in the sensory deprivation tank because that is simply a rip off off the black room from Under the Skin

Made it halfway through, but I won't be continuing. It's a competent execution but it really brings nothing new to the table. It felt like a cool mood board or like scrolling through a tumblr. I assume younger people may love it, the ones who are experiencing these tropes and atmospheres for the first time.

Made it halfway through, but I won't be continuing. It's a competent execution but it really brings nothing new to the table. It felt like a cool mood board or like scrolling through a tumblr. I assume younger people may love it, the ones who are experiencing these tropes and atmospheres for the first time.

yep

the peter gabriel heroes cover reveal scene was so badly executed i had to stop watching. no idea what any of that was supposed to be. this whole show is a pastiche, from winona ryder's close encounters with christmas lights to the nightmare on elm street creature in the wall to the titles to the core group of outsider friends (the goonies, the gate, et). it goes on and on. plus i can't get over how the douchey boyfriend guy looks exactly like:

940863ecaff22665296b3789590d2897.jpg

Edited by keanu reeves

I think I'll watch this with my son. Hope it's not shit!

It's not shit but it ain't the second coming of Richard either. I like the music even if it doesn't really fit with the overall mood.

worth a binge watch, i want more.

I really enjoyed the series overall, the cinematography was dead on 80's sci fi, the goofy humor, the tone in general was textbook Carpenter, Spielberg, Craven, Clive Barker. My problems are with the stinky tired drama with rich kid and hot sis......the ending, the whole last episode, it fell apart, but might get some closure in a new season....How did they get Will out of the upside down? They were there but we never see them leave. Eleven was kind of just pulled out of the story without much to do about her being gone. Hmmmmm. I do agree with the show's influences being worn like a Nascar suit but I enjoyed the combo. The toned down nature of Eleven, being influence by Tetsuo in Akira, and Firestarter, Carrie, impressed me. They never over did it with her character, probably because they couldn't afford to. The best parts about the series for me are the music, some great kid acting and cool pulpy genre worship. 7/10

Edited by Atop

It must feel like a cosmic goof on Heather Matarazzo for her to have such an abundance of bite and for her son to have that cleidocranial dysplasia. It's like the Matarazzo germline only has 2 speeds for teeth. I feel like a huge asshole for saying that.

LOL.

Unfortunately, I don't think his mother is the Welcome to the Dollhouse Matarazzo tho. She has no children, as far as I can tell (also; lesbian).

Finished this last night. I can understand where some of the naysayers are coming from: the show does have obvious reference points and influence s you can spot a mile away, but for me it worked. and it was entertaining.

only thing I didn't like was that the monster was cg. should have been practical

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't even like the stuff it references (especially King and 80s Spielberg). I watched bc it was getting so much praise around here, but I never should have bothered.

I hated it because while it references so much of what has already been mentioned, it just has absolutely nothing to offer without that stuff. I'm all for 80s revival entertainment, I really love it when artists evoke that era yet giving it some unique twist.

But Stranger Things has none of that. It nauseatingly borrows from almost everyone else without a single original idea of its own. There isn't a single thing in it that hasn't been done before - often much better. Looking around the internet, I cannot believe the praise it's been given.

Even the main romantic lead looks like Mia Sara around 1985.

Edited by fumi