IGNORED

dat 96khz/24 bit dubnobasswithmyheadman

dr lopez

so i recently shoved a blu-ray player in my PC and started ripping some blu-ray audio discs for my listening enjoyment. I also have an excellent DAC/audio card that does a good job with my monitors.

well lush m8 fanx.

i was browsing around and stumbled across dubnobass blu-ray for like 10 bucks on amazon. no brainer. I've always liked that album, pretty incredible for 92 or 93 or whenever it came out. but it definitely suffered from low mastering and the dense music was a muddy mess.

but holee sheeiit folks. just got to the middle of surfboy -- u know that really really dense part with the yelling. FUCK this thing sounds INCREDIBLE. Really good lows and everything is crystal clear. little bits and pieces that I'd never even picked up before. highly highly recommend if you have the capacity for this. seriously gave me a brand new perspective on this album which is in all honestly a landmark.

No idea if this stuff is available as a d/l. maybe it is.

My other Blu-Ray Audio recommendations: Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair. Actually even more impressive - absolutely no compressing and brickwalling on this one and wow mothers talk just rips. unreal its from '84.

and of course the gold standard: the 192khz/24 bit Sea Change. In this one you can actually hear beck's girlfriend dump him through some crazy high fidelity time warp. pretty special imo.

Anyone else enjoy super hi fi shit like this? Colundi has been at 192/24 for most of the releases. Really good.

Any other recommendations?

and of course the gold standard: the 192khz/24 bit Sea Change. In this one you can actually beck's girlfriend dump him through some crazy high fidelity time warp. pretty special imo.

Post of the year!

All the magical sparkle magic isn't from the 96khz/24bit fairies, it's the remastered edition that came out a year or two ago that was completely reconstructed from the original midi files: http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2014/06/dubnobasswithmyheadman-20th-anniversary-re-issue-show-2/

You can get that version to download here: http://www.junodownload.com/products/underworld-dubnobasswithmyheadman-20th-anniversary-remaster/2585685-02/

i can easily tell the difference between 192/96 and 41/48. first track of colundi 5 is really easy to tell because of that super low sustained rumble. doesn't sound anywhere near as deep and sonorous on 48/41. of course your sound card has to be able to actually handle that range.

hell i just got the 96khz Gaucho and it's a completely different ball park from the first 3 toms on babylon sisters.

All the magical sparkle magic isn't from the 96khz/24bit fairies, it's the remastered edition that came out a year or two ago that was completely reconstructed from the original midi files: http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2014/06/dubnobasswithmyheadman-20th-anniversary-re-issue-show-2/

You can get that version to download here: http://www.junodownload.com/products/underworld-dubnobasswithmyheadman-20th-anniversary-remaster/2585685-02/

MARK AS SOLVED (edit: apart from the fact that i couldn't get that in my country)

it's not about so much the ultra high frequencies, it's about nyquist frequency and a sine wave at exactly 22050 hz is actually a triangle/square wave if you zoom way in in audacity? So you get like ROUNDER waves mang

I think anyway

I don't even pretend that I can tell the difference between 16/24 bit and 44.1/96khz, but man I'm gonna check out that Songs From The Big Chair reissue, that's one of my 'benchmark' 80s pop albums.

Having said that, the original vinyl version is so close to perfect that I don't even know how it could sound better, much like Peter Gabriel's So. Superhuman production.

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Please don't but into the snake oil of hi-res audio guys, it just preys on confirmation bias and dunning-kruger effect and suddenly you wake up to find you're all out of tickets and on a speedboat to nowhere.

That said if it's got something truly value-added like say a different mastering or multichannel, then hey go nuts.

Great to see the Tears for Fears love baes :catrecline:

Ok whether or not you can hear beyond 48 and that 192 is pointless is probably right---- however!! There are clear recording and mixing differences in the standard cd vs bluray/dvd-a sea change recordings and they are nice changes. Same with the gaucho recordings. Probably because they come from 5.1 mixes and are then down mixed to stereo creating a slightly different and more open mix

*puts on gearslutty bikini*

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Please don't but into the snake oil of hi-res audio guys, it just preys on confirmation bias and dunning-kruger effect and suddenly you wake up to find you're all out of tickets and on a speedboat to nowhere.

yeah I'm still waiting for someone to show me why it's better to get 24-bit wavs of autechre releases rather than 16-bit. Even if the difference can't be heard, somehow graph it!

just you dear fuckers wait till i get home - i'll share the 44.1 and the 96 versions of babylon sisters with you guys and if you can't tell the difference then.... get new ears and new equipment

I tell you what you wanna do - Grab the 96khz version, make another file that's a downsampled version to 44.1Khz, invert it (i.e. flip it, rather than reverse it - despite Missy Elliott saying otherwise) and then mix the two files together. That way you'll be able to see/hear the actual differences added in the mega quality version. If you can hear anything it'll be very impressive !

I don't even pretend that I can tell the difference between 16/24 bit and 44.1/96khz, but man I'm gonna check out that Songs From The Big Chair reissue, that's one of my 'benchmark' 80s pop albums.

Having said that, the original vinyl version is so close to perfect that I don't even know how it could sound better, much like Peter Gabriel's So. Superhuman production.

yeah big chair was a remarkably well-produced album. and fucking awesome choons. love those first two tff albums.

I tell you what you wanna do - Grab the 96khz version, make another file that's a downsampled version to 44.1Khz, invert it (i.e. flip it, rather than reverse it - despite Missy Elliott saying otherwise) and then mix the two files together. That way you'll be able to see/hear the actual differences added in the mega quality version. If you can hear anything it'll be very impressive !

the 24/96 is ripped from the stereo (aka not downmixed after ripping) on the DVD-A and the 16/44 is from the CD.

hdtracks seems like complete bullshit and i would never buy from them. only rip what would be officially released by the artist/label

I will say that these recordings I have been talking about (save underworld maybe) are regarded as incredibly well recorded and produced audio, where having a high resolution file *might* actually impact the listening experience. having a 96/24 of SAW I or unit moebius or something would be completely idiotic and pointless.

Additionally these recordings do exist in 5.1 mixes so perhaps these higher resolution versions come from that and as a result have variations in the mixing that allow other elements of the recording to come out.

welp, see ya!

lol gonna have to find that yourself. i went through this with led zeppelin's hd audio stuff, found out a lot of it is upsampled. vinyl is still the best sounding. gaucho has been released a number of times. the japanese sacd sounds the best to my ears if you don't have the vinyl. the whole "hi res" audio thing seems like a scam to me.

Archived