IGNORED

Stranger Things on Netflix has a soundtrack with major Tomorrow's Harvest vibes

Alzado

I'm not saying the sound is identical, but they both have that John Carpenter sound.

Yeah I agree, it's the fact that they nail the more understated nuanced, subtle dread of Carpenter's work and other 80s era soundtracks by Tangerine Dream. They are very much into analog sounds as well.

Sorry I missed that thread. I've listened to their other stuff and didn't love it. It's trying real hard to ape synth pop imho. But they nail this soundtrack.

Great show. There were a spots that sounded like an obvious nod to early Aphex Twin... which didn't really gel with the 80's vibe they were going for otherwise. My girlfriend's parents went through this entire show in two nights, which is pretty impressive for a 60+ couple.

Great show.  There were a spots that sounded like an obvious nod to early Aphex Twin... which didn't really gel with the 80's vibe they were going for otherwise.  My girlfriend's parents went through this entire show in two nights, which is pretty impressive for a 60+ couple.

I was also thinking about saw 2, these creepy short tracks. also lol at the parents, it must have felt like beeing in a timemachine.

I just watched ep 3.

Its just about keeping me interested. Its a little tiny bit cheap and could be MORE 80's I think and the script/acting is just ok. As for the synth/80s pop music ... class!

Overall i wish it was more HBO, production wise

I agree with phudoshin to an extent. It's clear they're appealing to a similar, alternative take on the soundtracks to the 80s, but that's about where the similarities with BOC end. The melodies aren't even close to the same as BOC's style. Also, they play it safe with the pretty normal score that they use throughout the episode, most of the time. Only occasionally are there synthy bits. 

The show's pretty good, but not the greatest thing I've ever seen. Also, they're kinda ham-fisted with the nostalgia stuff, e.g., using "Rain in Africa" during teenage girl's makeout scene, "Should I stay or should I go", etc. It's almost like I can hear the committee talking amongst themselves about strategic use of licensed material for maximum identification effect, so the audience can think to themselves "Oh, I remember the first time I made out to this track" or some shit. 

Great show.  There were a spots that sounded like an obvious nod to early Aphex Twin... which didn't really gel with the 80's vibe they were going for otherwise.  My girlfriend's parents went through this entire show in two nights, which is pretty impressive for a 60+ couple.

I was also thinking about saw 2, these creepy short tracks. also lol at the parents, it must have felt like beeing in a timemachine.

Yes, I definitely felt the Aphex Saw II vibe multiple times while watching the show. Never even thought of BoC to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I definitely felt the Aphex Saw II vibe multiple times while watching the show. Never even thought of BoC to be honest.

If we're talking about the ominous tracks from Tomorrow's Harvest specifically, there are some clear similarities...the same John Carpenter / 80s sparse synth horror film OST vibe.

"White Cyclosa" would not sound at all out of place on the Stranger Things O.S.T. Other than that I agree there's not much BoC parellels musically. Maybe thematically though - shortwave transmissions, numbers stations, cold war paranoia.

Ghostbox Recordings alum Pie Corner Audio has a very similar sound too, especially his recent full-length.

Archived