IGNORED

Will he ever do anything in the style of On again?

Lane Visitor

Totally.  I love 90s electronic music, but a lot of it comes off as being made by people who simply had access to the equipment and enough passion to use it, without any real knowledge of what they were doing.  Underworld had been around in other forms and were pretty up on music making.  Liam Howlett of the Prodigy knew at least a bit of music theory from his childhood piano lessons (if my memory serves, it's been a while since I read any biographies).

Yeah I totally agree. I loved the prodigy and SAW 85-92 back in the 90s when I first heard it, but to be honest there is so much more good quality electronic music around now.

Here is a diagram I drew during a similar conversation here about the prodigy a few years ago. I think it explains a lot.

hbnT9N0.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been listening to Aphex Twin for nearly 20 years and I've obviously known about the sonic similarities between "On" and "Start as you mean to go on" --but just now I realized the significance of them both having the word "On" in their title.... so...uh...yeah.......carry "on".....

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely visit this site, but every time I do i read something that leaves me astounded as to how clueless fans of Aphex Twin seem to be....such are the responses to this guys post.  On is an amateur work?!! 

This is what happens when millions of morons who know fuck all about underground electronic music get introduced to an artist like Aphex Twin.  This is the downside of the greater commercial success that he gained through exposure on MTV.  It spawned a million overnight fans who would otherwise be listening to their garbage top 40 nonsense.

The On ep is a masterpiece. 

I've been listening to Aphex Twin for nearly 20 years and I've obviously known about the sonic similarities between "On" and "Start as you mean to go on" --but just now I realized the significance of them both having the word "On" in their title.... so...uh...yeah.......carry "on".....

and then there's ON the ROMANCE TIP...

come to think of it, both of those track named are hand-written (icbyd and CWC artwork)

I rarely visit this site, but every time I do i read something that leaves me astounded as to how clueless fans of Aphex Twin seem to be....such are the responses to this guys post.  On is an amateur work?!! 

This is what happens when millions of morons who know fuck all about underground electronic music get introduced to an artist like Aphex Twin.  This is the downside of the greater commercial success that he gained through exposure on MTV.  It spawned a million overnight fans who would otherwise be listening to their garbage top 40 nonsense.

Hey post your tunes guy

Hi Richard

You're entitled to your opinion. But I don't think there's many people here who joined 'because they saw aphex on MTV'

There's a lot of old timers here.

IMHO On was good for its time but doesn't really hold up that well now because its so repetitive. Nice ambience.

That diagram seems spot on, yes.

aphex really like making 10 tracks from 1 idea, whereas I just make 1 track from 1 idea. I am doing it wrong.

Underworld do that a lot too.  Dirty Fuzz / Dirty Guitar, one of the first Underworld-as-we'd-recognise-their-sound tracks, was remixed and evolved, I assume merged with Dirty Ambi Piano, and eventually became Dirty Epic.  M.E., Can You Feel Me? and Mmm...Skyscraper I Love You (After Sky) all sound similarly related.  ("Can you feel me like I feel you?")  That's what makes some music so good, that it gets folded back in on itself, simmered, added to, cut up, until it becomes a whole bunch of different, related things.  It's also quite neat how on the one hand they write good lyrics, while on the other hand they have more musical than vocal sensibilities to the extent they're happy to chop it up until it's incomplete snippets, fragments that don't make sense anymore, but sound good. (For example, Cowgirl's "Why don't you call me?  I feel like flying into good weather." got shortened to "Why don't you call me?  I feel like flying into--" which makes no sense, but sounds good.)  Most bands are lucky to have one or the other sensibility, let alone both.

Underworld's reworking of tracks is always inspiring. The way Pearl's Girl became Tin There (via Carp Dreams... Koi) is wonderful. The outtakes on the deluxe issues plus live tracks are great examples of the way their tracks evolved from just jamming them in the studio. It took me a while to realise that Spoon Deep started out as Spoonman. There's not much of that in their music these days, which makes me sad. Even on A Hundred Days Off they seemed to avoid making too many links - the b-side Ansum, the full length version of Mo Move, and Little Speaker all come from the same sessions, but they cut out all the bits that make the similarities obvious, which I thought was a shame.

Then you have FSOL, who did kind of the opposite - when they finished a track it was left alone, and if they wanted to do a different version they'd build it up from scratch again, hence their EPs with really dramatically different versions of tracks, and stuff like Lifeforms which evolved into Lifeforms Path 5, which then evolved into Life Form Ends (with the Papua New Guinea sample in the middle); Lifeforms also spawned Ill Flower, which spawned part of Environments Part 1 and was also rebuilt into the drastically different Light Forming. Glass from Dead Cities also became the unrecognisable I Turn to Face the Sun from Life in Moments.

It's something I really want to start doing in my own music. Obviously Autechre do it a lot, particularly with EPs related to albums, and Orbital used to do similar. It was always so much fun getting a single or EP and finding intriguing bits related to tracks you already knew. So much better than just getting in other artists to remix the tracks.

Tamclap Orig from the soundcloud dump is what you want if you're after another On type tune.

That and Seckonda if you ask me... One of my favourite tracks from the dump. 

Yes... I was just thinking Sekonda has many melodic similarities to the "On" period. I wouldn't be surprised if they were composed in a similar timeframe. Great track, one of my favorites as of late.

You're entitled to your opinion. But I don't think there's many people here who joined 'because they saw aphex on MTV'

There's a lot of old timers here.

IMHO On was good for its time but doesn't really hold up that well now because its so repetitive. Nice ambience.

Opinions are like assholes. Aphex Twins "repetitive" work stand to this day as his most classic and revered. All of the best music is repetitive, over complexity does not make for good music.

Totally.  I love 90s electronic music, but a lot of it comes off as being made by people who simply had access to the equipment and enough passion to use it, without any real knowledge of what they were doing.  Underworld had been around in other forms and were pretty up on music making.  Liam Howlett of the Prodigy knew at least a bit of music theory from his childhood piano lessons (if my memory serves, it's been a while since I read any biographies).

Yeah I totally agree. I loved the prodigy and SAW 85-92 back in the 90s when I first heard it, but to be honest there is so much more good quality electronic music around now.

Here is a diagram I drew during a similar conversation here about the prodigy a few years ago. I think it explains a lot.

hbnT9N0.jpg

LOL there may be more quantity but there's a hell of lot less quality now. From someone involved in the scene I can tell you that there are 300 vinyl record labels being pressed a month at this time in the techno genre alone and a vast majority of them are complete shit. The modern day renaissance of everybody having access to music making gear/software has been probably more bad than it has good in regards to the quality of music as you now have to sift through mountains of terrible material to find the good stuff. In the 90's you had to be at least somewhat serious and passionate about making music to undertake being a producer. People need to seriously educate yourselves on the history of this music before making statements like these. There were thousands upon thousands of classic records released in the 90's...many of which are considered classics to this day and are still dropped into DJ sets regularly. It's like being around in the 60's for the psychedelic rock movement, or the late 70's for the punk movement compared to some crappy cover bands of said genres in the present day....literally. I don't have the time to go into just how wrong and off point you are. There's not much in the way of written history on the subject but maybe these will help some of you grasp some of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energy-Flash-Journey-Through-Culture/dp/0571289134

https://www.amazon.com/Techno-Rebels-Renegades-Electronic-Painted/dp/0814334385

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HpY65cXDA

Do you guys think he'll ever do anything in the style of this release again, in terms of the peaceful, dramatic, classical melodies easy to digest, spacey, ambient meets techno kinda stuff? i just can't get enough of his melodic-meets-meditative sound.

:cry:

i spoke to him earlier today and he said no 

Archived