IGNORED

Chillwave/electronica artist samples Lichen

Lane Visitor

Just heard this on Spotify at work... c'mon really? lifting an entire SAW II track just like that and dropping an easy beat and some sfx under it??

prob less than 1% of those 1/2 million people who heard this track on that youtube upload thinks its beautiful melodic ambient progression was written by some new chillout/ chillwave artist named Koda. Great. 

the weird thing is with artists like this, its hard to say whether they're big enough to have been able to legally use the sample and whether they're crediting the original artist anywhere (all i could find was on their soundcloud of the track - the following hashtags: #koda #smooth #aphex #twin with no information under the cloud. As if anyone can put those two hashtags together to make any sense of it. I'm not seeing a discogs or allmusic entry for this artist where i can check composition credits. not i really give a fuck, but it'd be nice to know that people aren't getting play counts or worse, sales, based on lifting tracks and re-packaging it as their own w/ out permission or proper crediting (the artist is also selling this track on iTunes). he's also playing on official spotify chill wave playlists, etc.  

ya but didnt kanye list rdj as a composer, I'm sure he used avril 14th it with permission and rdj is getting royalties no?

still more offensive to humanity or something

moneys doesn't mean everything

ya but didnt kanye list rdj as a composer, I'm sure he used avril 14th it with permission and rdj is getting royalties no?

still more offensive to humanity or something

moneys doesn't mean everything

i mean honestly i think its all a shame in all 3 cases... boldly lifting something so distinct and beautiful as the progression of lichen or avril 14th as your main riff instead of getting permission from the artist to sample or morph elements of a small part of an original track is just in poor taste. 

as far as money, rdj might not be begging for change, but artists deserve to compensated when their work is used commercially, plain and simple. 

in terms of watmm featured artists being sampled, there are some pretty egregious boards of canada samples with 808s thrown in. most of the ones i've heard have been wholely uninspiring and unoriginal. i like sampling the most when it is a mix of a few different songs, i think the laziest sampling sticks with just the one song and some drum samples with a bassline. snooze. willing to make exceptions for vaporwave where the looping / effects are spot on, though.

Oh for sure... I agree, a surrealist recontextualization under an anoymous acronym morphing the original parts to create a new narrative for (mostly) non ego/ commercial purposes (vaporwave) is all good times, but yeah in a case like this im seeing probably some young teen ableton chillstep producer connected in the scene whose friend showed him SAW II and decided to blatantly "sample" his fav moment from it, to make a single, thinking no big deal cuz its "obscure grandpa dustbin collection music that no one in his circle will recognize" or something like that... And i mean i get it if u wanna slip a little pad from ambient Aphex into a momentary breakdown or transition and filter it and then be done with it, but straight up using the bulk of Lichen, untreated as your 30 second intro?? Ridiculous lol

its hard to say whether they're crediting the original artist anywhere (all i could find was on their soundcloud of the track - the following hashtags: #koda #smooth #aphex #twin with no information under the cloud. As if anyone can put those two hashtags together to make any sense of it.

very discreet

wisp's remix of lichen is more offensive to me

Very interested to hear why you feel that way. 

i dunno, I just find it annoying

Me too. Tho the Ztwig one is kind of nice.

wisp's remix of lichen is more offensive to me

Very interested to hear why you feel that way. 

i dunno, I just find it annoying

Me too. Tho the Ztwig one is kind of nice.

I liked the cliffs remix that samples rpg maker 2000, the door opening sound if anyone's curious

except youtube comments and people can literally just right click and google what an aphex is

Yeah i dont think the majority of listeners are gonna take their time to find patterns among the youtube comments in order to research phrases or words they know nothing about lol

that track is a mess btw. too much going on and not really making much sense. also just a pointless sample, i feel like the notes in the chords clash a bit with the other stuff. yuck. 

i was thinking the same thing. the drum sounds work ok but that's about it. the "intro" is the best part hah.

Here's a Squarepusher one I saw awhile back.

One of the most conflicting things about sampling is sometimes, rather subjectively or even irrationally, a sample really rubs you the wrong way.

There seems to be an unwritten guideline of what's ok or not to sample: deep cuts and crate-digging finds are a-ok, hip-hop can recycle stuff because it's almost a meme culture or sampling previously sampled stuff, vaporwave and chopped n' screwed can get away with slowed down mainstream songs, IDM and drum n' bass can use chopped up stuff, house and dance can use quick snippets, flipping a sample well makes up for the laziness, using lots of samples in well constructed collage, etc. Likewise stuff that seems to be a big no-no, at least for me, are lazy loops of obvious samples, shamelessly sampling newer underground music, making ambient from existing ambient via paulstretch, ripping off the sampling/flipping of previous producers, etc. Sometimes producers like Timbaland and Will.I.Am have put out some very shameless songs that are barely remixes let alone decent sample flips. But objectively it's very debatable.

It was whatever until the guy starts doing that top 40 singing thing with that lazy beat building in the background. Then it became lame. 

I don't mind when aphex is sampled.. i just don't like it when more... mainstream artists use it for more cliched sounding tracks. This 'remix' makes the sampled part feel.. lesser. It goes from this beautiful thing to this 'throw away' thing. That's the best way I can describe that. As if the sampled part is being mishandled, or that koda doesn't get why the original song works, and how it is now not working in his song.

Here's a track much worse than Lanes:

Again I wonder what the remixer was thinking. Or if he even realizes the dump he's taking on track. Like how can he listen to the original, then listen to his track then think:" good!"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived