IGNORED

The Orb - COW / Chill Out, World!

purlieu

https://soundcloud.com/kompakt/the-orb-5th-dimensions

Following the release of “Moonbuilding 2703 AD” in June 2015, Alex Paterson and Thomas Fehlmann aka The Orb have announced the release of their new ambient album “COW / Chill Out World” and claim it to be their most ambient album to date.

Scheduled for release on 14th October 2016, “COW / Chill Out, World!” marks a creative renewal for the duo. It also features contributions from Youth and Roger Eno, and is encased in minimal ‘ambient cover art’ courtesy of The Designers Republic. The text below comes directly from Kompakt.
The album’s title is aimed to be a friendly suggestion. Whilst Alex Patterson calls it “a protest album in reverse”, Thomas Fehlmann further explains, “we didn’t intend to rehash old chill out vibes. On the contrary. It’s the 21st century and it seems like a good idea for people to sit back and chill the fuck out, before continuing to act destructively. To chill out is to act consciously, guided from a calm centre.”
Featuring only the occasional presence of buoyant, gently rhythmic pulses and loops, Alex Paterson describes COW as “our most ambient album yet”. Sounds bubble, flutter and float through various atmospheres and moods, from bucolic and picturesque, childlike wonderment, the texture of bygone memories, to the universe’s infinite depth.
COW’s creation came together in different circumstances with a different working method to their last album. As Moonbuilding 2703 AD was originally commissioned by the English National Opera, the duo immersed themselves in that new world and maintained a close, continuous dialogue with the opera’s orchestrator and technicians. The production fell through due to budget cuts and the recordings were then adapted for album format, hence its 6 year gestation period.
COW on the other hand, took just 6 months to make. One of main reasons for its speedy completion was Alex’s recording of sounds whilst touring the world, straight to Ableton, using his iPhone. Field recordings were easily captured, whilst the countless hours of ‘downtime’ travelling, or at sound-checks became valuable moments for spontaneous creative laptop productivity.
Fehlmann also sees the duo’s relentless live schedule as a formative influence. “The countless gigs we’ve played in recent years – probably up to 300 – have brought us closer as a musical unit. Our concerts consist mostly of non-verbal communication and improvisation – a fertile process that we’ve brought to the studio, where we operate with very simple rules of engagement (in this case ‘ambient’) and go wherever the flow takes us.”
It’s an approach that one might expect from traditional acoustic instrumentation, not necessarily an electronic set-up, but for The Orb it works wonders. “We’re quite happy and a little bit proud that we’ve reached this level of unscripted levity with purely electronic means. We’re finessing ourselves, sort of, always looking for the next sonic surprise that leaves us rubbing our eyes about how the heck we got there.”
“COW / Chill Out, World! is an off the cuff, immediate album”, adds Thomas. “We produced it in the span of half a year, trusted our first instincts and allowed the ideas flow freely. We’ve gained self confidence in our continuous search for surprises, and in many ways it’s a naivety we’ve found again, that lets us treat each tune as if it were the first.”
TRACKLIST
A1. First, Consider The Lillys
A2. Wireless MK2
A3. Siren 33 (Orphee Mirror)
A4. 4am Exhale (Chill Out, World!)
B1. 5th Dimensions
B2. Sex (Panoramic Sex Heal)
B3. 7 Oaks
B4. Just Because I Really Really Luv Ya
B5. 9 Elms Over River Eno (Channel 9)
B6. The 10 Sultans Of Rudyard (Moo Moo Mix)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent, I'm a big Orb fan, nice to hear they are going more ambient. I think they should have just called it COW - "Chill Out, World!" is a bit cheesy imo.

I also noticed you can pre-order DVD/CD/Vinyls of their recent Ultraworld album in full gig here http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/theorb

Still have Moonbuilding 2703 AD sealed and by my desk - keep meaning to listen to it...

You're missing out, their best album since Orblivion imho.

Yeah Moonbuilding is great! I hope this will be 'ambient' in a similar way to Orbus Terrarum - big lush soundscapes with lots of detail and underlying rhythm.

moonbuilding was really really good.

can't wait for this. I might be one of the more orbsessed on this forum...

meaning if you want a load of great old live shows... write me a love letter

I just listened to Moonbuilding, excited for this, sounds very good. Not enough solid ambient out there in the days post-paulstretch

• 5 weeks later...

Still have Moonbuilding 2703 AD sealed and by my desk - keep meaning to listen to it...

I’ve now got round to 2703 AD and unfortunately I’m not really taken by it – Probably the first Orb album I got a little bored by (I’m pretending Metallic Spheres was an experimental single rather than an album). It came across like a whole load of Fehlmann B-Sides than anything with substance, there’s only so much dubby resonant filtering I can take before my mind wanders. As soon as the album finished I honestly couldn’t remember a single element I’d just heard !

The preview at the top sounds very much in style to Dilmun from Cydonia (probably my favourite track from the Bicycles and Tricycles album)

Dilmun from Cydonia (probably my favourite track from the Bicycles and Tricycles album)

wat

There's lots of other nice tracks on there but that was the one that grabbed me - Had real nice production and felt really sunset-summery, was almost Fennesz-esque

im just confused about dilmun from cydonia and also from bicycles and tricycles

ffs Pete sort it out.

I relistened to Moonbuilding recently and found myself getting a bit bored of it too, actually. Just doesn't have the atmosphere or the variety of the early albums. It's a listenable album and one of their best albums recently, but I can't imagine being excited by it or having a real desire to play it again sadly. 

I'll probably still end up getting this one anyway.

Aghhh bloody hell, I think my thought proccess was something along the lines of: "I really like the last track from Cydonia, wait no, it was Bicycles and Tricycles wasn't it, yeah Bicycles and Tricycles" and was typing whilst simultaneously in the process of thinking what to type and clearly not going back to correct the wrong bit of thought!

ffs Pete sort it out.

I relistened to Moonbuilding recently and found myself getting a bit bored of it too, actually. Just doesn't have the atmosphere or the variety of the early albums. It's a listenable album and one of their best albums recently, but I can't imagine being excited by it or having a real desire to play it again sadly. 

I'll probably still end up getting this one anyway.

moonbuilding 2703 ad track is the one I really like on the album. the first three tracks are a bit meh for me

Archived