IGNORED

The Orb - COW / Chill Out, World!

purlieu

Metallic Spheres was complete crap. You'd have thought a collaboration with Pink Floyd's David Gilmour riffing over some mellow atmospherics from Alex and co would be a EDM dream come true.

you'd be wrong.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gogogo mcb.. wht r u waiting for..  :)

Still got Environments 6 & 6.5 to go first - It takes a while to get from my purchased download folder to my ears :biggrin:

Metallic Spheres was complete crap. You'd have thought a collaboration with Pink Floyd's David Gilmour riffing over some mellow atmospherics from Alex and co would be a EDM dream come true.

you'd be wrong.

Oh God yes, the only Orb 'thing' I've only heard once - Just a mess, bought the special 2CD 'headphone' version too and never even made it to the alternatively mastered 2nd disc for headphones

you'd be wrong.

I read Alex's total contribution was making the spliffs

I remember being super excited back in the day when The Orb/Dave Gilmour collaboration was announced. As a die-hard fan of both bands, it was an album of potential music I'd only dreamed of.

Unfortunately it still is.

Best stuff since the 1990s are Okie Dokie and Baghdad Batteries.

From bitter experience, I'd also steer clear of that Battersea audio/visual CD/DVD thing they put out a few years back. Pretty expensive at the time and also total crap.

From bitter experience, I'd also steer clear of that Battersea audio/visual CD/DVD thing they put out a few years back. Pretty expensive at the time and also total crap.

i really liked th art for tht. th music was just ok. definitely not worth th price, with u there. i will admit tho, i never paid for it..  

Okay it's not 15 minutes, but I've not heard it in years.

It is actually hidden at the end of the disc because there is a really long silence and you think the disc is finished. That's a trend that seemed really popular back in the late nineties, wasn't it? Lots of albums had that - with the artist putting something hidden at the end.

21st century Orb... ugh. Yeah, Okie Dokie is fine, but I find it kinda forgettable. Baghdad Batteries is nicer, has some real atmospherics on it. No masterpiece by any standards, but enjoyable once in a while. The run of ambient tracks at the end of The Dream is lovely, but the first 2/3 of the album is by far the worst shit they've done. Metallic Spheres and the Lee Perry collabs were total missed opportunities, just completely pointless music. C Batter C was massively disappointing. Moonbuilding was decent but I never listen to it anymore.

21st century Orb... ugh. Yeah, Okie Dokie is fine, but I find it kinda forgettable. Baghdad Batteries is nicer, has some real atmospherics on it. No masterpiece by any standards, but enjoyable once in a while. The run of ambient tracks at the end of The Dream is lovely, but the first 2/3 of the album is by far the worst shit they've done. Metallic Spheres and the Lee Perry collabs were total missed opportunities, just completely pointless music. C Batter C was massively disappointing. Moonbuilding was decent but I never listen to it anymore.

the last few tracks of the dream are incredible but some of th firste tracks are pretty boring. I disagree though about oki dookie, its a masterpiece. to me the run from 2003 to 2009 specifically Bicyle, oki dokie, the dream (indeed from track 10 to the end) and orbsessions vol 1-2 (2016, shem, dadoes, ect) and vol3 (baghdad batteries) contains a lot of masterpiece.

I feel the orbsessions vol 1-2-3 are definitely extremely underrated. my favorite is vol-2 and acutlaly one of my fav the orb release eva :)

need to spend more time with COW, and indeed stuff with lee perry, c batterc, moonbuilding are not something I want to revisit.

Okay it's not 15 minutes, but I've not heard it in years.

It is actually hidden at the end of the disc because there is a really long silence and you think the disc is finished. That's a trend that seemed really popular back in the late nineties, wasn't it? Lots of albums had that - with the artist putting something hidden at the end.

there was one at the end of Orblivion as well, had a sample of what sounded like Arnie. Very underrated album of theirs IMHO.

I still haven't listened to this new one yet, must sort that out before the end of the week.

the problem with the orb is that the work up to cydonia is some of the best music ever made ever

the good doctor spaketh the troof.

I still think the Live 93 contains some of the best material the Orb ever released.

Yeah, you can't beat the Thrash years imo. I still wonder what they could have produced if he hadn't walked out, they peaked with Orbus Terrarum. A shame he never seemed to do anything meaningful afterwards (apart from the awesome Killing Joke remix).

I also just love the rambling epic tracks they used to produce, I haven't heard Cow yet but I just know I'm going to wish it was twice as long

yes its very short but i liked it

anyway i've probably said this before but if y'all want several gigs of live orb shows (from maggie thatcher and various other corners of the internet) just pm me

Yeah, you can't beat the Thrash years imo. I still wonder what they could have produced if he hadn't walked out, they peaked with Orbus Terrarum. A shame he never seemed to do anything meaningful afterwards (apart from the awesome Killing Joke remix).

I also just love the rambling epic tracks they used to produce, I haven't heard Cow yet but I just know I'm going to wish it was twice as long

There's still the occasional epic ambient remix like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5xrnLMPqn4

Just downloaded COW, I'll have a listen a later.

Archived