IGNORED

Happy 45th Birthday Sir Richard D James

producer snafu

happy birthday!

richard is still making great, interesting stuff. why do so many "rock" artists get worse with age? is it easier for electronic/experimental artists to stay "relevant"?

Appy birfday Richie!

happy birthday!

richard is still making great, interesting stuff. why do so many "rock" artists get worse with age? is it easier for electronic/experimental artists to stay "relevant"?

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Weird.

Fucking hell, internet - did I actually have to explain that?

Too complicated and wrong. It's really eaay: How many August 18ths has RDJ seen?

Birthday literally means the day you were born. You don't start counting from zero.

KEXP (90.3 FM) was just playing some Analog Bubblebath, almost cried from joy here in the office :emb:

Happy Birthday dear Richard!!!

Weird, I've been listening to Aphex for the last few hours, more than I have in a while, didn't know it was his bday but it's a nice coincidence.

Syro just finished and now I'm on On. NONSTOP LUSH! HAPPY BDAY RICH

you don't need a calculator for this... if a kid turns 3, it had a birthday when it turned 1, when it turned 2 and when it turned 3 – and the day it was born... sum=4

I suggest you look again at the calculator I linked to... the day you are born, you are not 1 year old - you haven't lived a year (~9 months if you really want to get pedantic about it) - that's why when someone asks "how old is your baby", the response is "3 months", "9 months", etc.

So, starting from day 0 (the day you are born), you celebrate your first birthday when you reach day 365 from that day. You are exactly 1 year old, not 2. You don't reach your second birthday until you have lived 730 days.

Richard has been alive for 16437 days - not accounting for leap years, 16437 / 365 = 45.03287671232877.

Fucking hell, internet - did I actually have to explain that?

You mix the question "how old are you?" with the (rather unconventional) question: "How many birthdays did you have?" But that is exactly what the topic was saying. Now you try to explain me that Richard is 45 years old. Of course he is, that was never in doubt. The day you were born is your birthday, isn't it? I mean, it's the birthday of all birthdays, the real thing. The days we are celebrating are just anniversaries of that day. Now you try to explain to the internet how this day doesn't count? By the same logic you can call our century the 20th century since the hundred years before the year 100 didn't count. But you'd actually skipped the 1st century. Exactly the same thing. Here I am, thinking that would be common knowledge.  :cerious:

Richard has "seen" 46 18th Augusts so far. Still no calculator needed.

Interesting how you have different answers for "How old are you?" and "How long have you existed?"

Not that I've heard anyone ask that second question.

Joyrex, how long have you existed?

Interesting how you have different answers for "How old are you?" and "How long have you existed?"

Wow, that is so wrong again. The real question would be: How many x have you experienced in your life? Uncommon but perfectly legitimate question, especially when it comes to specific days (e. g. how many Christmas Eves have you had?) Hint: By the end of the year Richard will have had more than 45 Christmas Eves. Now how can that be if he's only 45 years old, eh? Mysterious indeed. Anyway, see you in next year's birthday thread.

Not that I've heard anyone ask that second question.

Joyrex, how long have you existed?

Far too fucking long, LOL

Weird, I've been listening to Aphex for the last few hours, more than I have in a while, didn't know it was his bday but it's a nice coincidence.

Syro just finished and now I'm on On. NONSTOP LUSH! HAPPY BDAY RICH

Same here. Had the soundcloud dump copied to my work laptop and been working happily all day. =D

Also, our managing director was affiliated with the Acid Junkies back in the days. So shared the dump with him as well. He mailed he was sick  and listening to LTJ Bukem's Logical Progression at home, so I mailed him the link with the dump, in case he needed some more golden oldies. He didn't know about it yet, so I'm sure you can imagine the smile on his face!  :rdjgrin:  :rhubear2:  :rhubear1:

Good fun!

Thankfully we don't have to see Richard sliding on his knees performing a synth solo on stage in the middle of an IDM anthem about banging sluts from 20 years ago. A lot of popular music relies heavily on the same themes, many of which relate to youth. Many of those artists are also expected to be highly visible and have a lot of sex appeal. That shit has a shelf life, and if you based your career on being that person you'll inevitably end up looking like a douchebag and running out of quality material after a while.

That doesn't apply to all rockstars, rappers, etc. but it does effect a large number of them.

Happy birthday my little son - my little 28-year-old son! 

Well, you were born by now, because you were born about five o'clock in the morning. 

You have a lovely day. I hope your card came.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Guest bitroast

Happy Birthday Richard. 

As a birthday present ... will you please release an instrumental cut of Beck - Richard's Hairpiece (Remixed By Aphex Twin) ???

Excellent!!! Thank you :^) 

Archived