IGNORED

Are we in the middle of an IDM revival?

Guest hawaii

we better get in on this IDM thing and cash in ...  ;)  there's a revival on boys let's get to it.

regarding the article.. lot's of techniques from that era have been all over many forms of music for ages now.. from boy band pop vocal edits by BT to savy hip hop from all sorts of people.. viktor vaughn etc.. not to mention thousands of commercials. 

idk.. i know they need to write stuff and it's nice way to tie things together and draw in some attention but a lot of people have continued making and releasing music w/o interruption. 

i think part of it is lot's of record stores just went away so the wander through the shop and flick through the bins looking for little gems has gone away or moved to bandcamp or wherever.  but it means a lot of little labels went bye bye and handfuls of distributors did too. 

so, revival? idk.. perhaps the share of the market is bit better these days.. so revival in that sense?   happy to let the blogosphere or whatever the fuck it is called push it though if it means we'll hear more cool stuff from labels. 

basically stopped reading at "2016 has seen the best new music from Autechre in years" - wow, what a piece of evidence. It literally means elseq is better then everything else they released in years! which is just ae_live. Go home fact you're drunk

Damn I thought the Dr Who thing  was a photoshop of your own triachus and I was like :cisfor: but when I saw it was the actual illustration of the article I was like :cerious:

I get the feeling Richard is about to shut the door on that Tardis and leave the smokers outside, because inside he has got loads of contact mics setup.

"It sounds lush as hell in here..."

I've heard a bit more blatantly Aphex/Ae inspired stuff in the last year or so than I had browsing a lot of online stuff for the past few years so there might be a bit of truth in it, but of course it doesn't really matter in the slightest.

I think IDM has been creeping its way into other areas steadily for a while. Today we unwittingly eat, breathe, and shit trace amounts of IDM. We're all infected. 

Is it just me or do these "IDM revival" pieces come every few years?

I have some vague memories from sometime ago.

IDM revival? No. Why on earth would someone write that? Wishful thinking perhaps.

Very few new people in the business bringing anything new to the table, imo. It's mostly rehashing older ideas already explored in the past.

Archived