IGNORED

3 grischa lichtenberger ep's: spielraum, allgegenwart, strahlung

cear

https://soundcloud.com/rasternoton/001_0315_13_dest

as a central point of reference of grischa lichtenberger‘s »la demeure/il y a péril en la demeure« complex, raster-noton releases a limited edition of three 12“ vinyl EPs that are accompanied by a handmade, signed and individualized screen print.

the three EPs were set up as an experiment. each of the records is guided by a word that could be described as a phantasmagoria, a delusion of the 20th century – like a metaphor that is concerned not only with its immediate meaning, but with an implication more emotional, more irrational, telling something about the mindset of the not so distant past.

these keywords already existed before the production on the tracks began and thus played the role of an indirect orientation or playground for association. nevertheless, the EPs are not conceptualized, but rather a collection of habits and strategies in relation to the titles.

common to all EPs of the triptych is the question of a connection between intimacy and the public sphere. aesthetically, the music presented on the EPs ranges from distressing and unaligned dancefloor-oriented tracks to tribal and politically charged drones to unsettling noise ballads. on »spielraum«, for example, hypnotizing music box melodies are combined with claustrophobic breakbeats. »allgegenwart«, on the other hand, presents mechanical rhythms and sawing pads, topped with high-pitched warning sounds. last but not least, the final EP »strahlung« features self-forgetful, gloomy and melancholy tracks backed by melodies that remind of a barrel organ turned upside down.

please note: this special edition is limited to 500 copies and was printed, stamped and signed by the artist himself. print and paint application variations are intended.

for more on the ideas behind the series in grischa lichtenberger‘s own words, see: http://www.grischa-lichtenberger.com/spielraum_allgegenwart_strahlung/

!

Yep, been waiting for the announcement on this.

Hope it's not a ridiculous price, but will keep an eye on R-N to see when they get added. Raster are notoriously slow at updating their site, they will probably show up on Boomkat / Amazon first.

phantasmagoria, a delusion of the 20th century – like a metaphor that is concerned not only with its immediate meaning, but with an implication more emotional, more irrational, telling something about the mindset of the not so distant past.

Also a shite FMV game

• 1 month later...

£43 plus carriage is pretty steep for a 3 disc EP set. I've just shelled out for the Autechre represses and the Blueprint 20 triple vinyl set, so my music buying account is pretty maxed out right now.

i don't buy much vinyl anymore and own none of his music on vinyl so had to get it.  

• 2 weeks later...

i can't believe watmm is sleeping on this incredible release! i love how much new ground he's broken with this, especially on allgegenwart and strahlung. huge recommendation!

yeah.. i really like it. some really deep tracks here and there too. i like his sound/style whatever you wanna call it and he's getting better at doing whatever it is he he's trying to do. 

i was impressed w/those tracks that use acoustic drums or samples. he used those sounds in a really organic way which is a nice contrast to the rest of the tracks.  overall just really solid tunes.  still feels like he's got another gear to get into or something. 

Yeah for those curious I think the RN description pretty accurately surmised the music spread across the three eps.

aesthetically, the music presented on the EPs ranges from distressing and unaligned dancefloor-oriented tracks to tribal and politically charged drones to unsettling noise ballads. on »spielraum«, for example, hypnotizing music box melodies are combined with claustrophobic breakbeats. »allgegenwart«, on the other hand, presents mechanical rhythms and sawing pads, topped with high-pitched warning sounds. last but not least, the final EP »strahlung« features self-forgetful, gloomy and melancholy tracks backed by melodies that remind of a barrel organ turned upside down.

For those complaining about the price of admission, the vinyl pressing is lush. 90 minutes of music across 3LPs in a boxset with a large one-of-a-kind signed print from GL. EUR 38 including shipping from the RN shop.  

• 2 months later...

Most of Grischa's remixes in one place, mixed by himself

tracklist:

tov_lo - cool girl (1116_21_lv_1 grischa lichtenberger remix)
plapla pinky - analclaire (grischa lichtenberger remix)
disclosure - magnets ft. lorde (grischa lichtenberger remix)
fridgebuzz vs. matt vitelli/ aran nayebi - neural networks emulating pop songs (grischa lichtenberger edit)
kyoka - flashback (grischa lichtenberger remix)
ariana_grande - into you (grischa lichtenberger remix)
dimitry paranyushkin, stefan faerber - 0612_20 13 (grischa lichtenberger edit)
violet shaped - spectral nightdrive (0113_31_vsh_rmx_b grischa lichtenberger remix)
banks - fuck with my self (grischa lichtenberger remix)
0813_04_lv_hanno 1 mst 3 (grischa lichtenberger remix for hanno leichtmann)
svreca - tommy vicananza (grischa lichtenberger octogonal crayons recut 0912_18_rmx_1_c_2)
jesse osborne-lanthier - financial aid solicitation study in four parts (grischa lichtenberger rmx)
dimitri mazurov - wry (grischa lichtenberger 'not enough randomness' remix 0116_05)
ariana_grande - dangerous woman (1116_21_re_0614_25 grischa lichtenberger boris cool remix)
biathlon - sleepless (grischa lichtenberger remix)

tracklist:

fridgebuzz vs. matt vitelli/ aran nayebi - neural networks emulating pop songs (grischa lichtenberger edit)

violet shaped - spectral nightdrive (0113_31_vsh_rmx_b grischa lichtenberger remix)

svreca - tommy vicananza (grischa lichtenberger octogonal crayons recut 0912_18_rmx_1_c_2)

jesse osborne-lanthier - financial aid solicitation study in four parts (grischa lichtenberger rmx)

dimitri mazurov - wry (grischa lichtenberger 'not enough randomness' remix 0116_05)

ariana_grande - dangerous woman (1116_21_re_0614_25 grischa lichtenberger boris cool remix)

this is really nice. some killer jams in there. 

Guest bitroast

finally remembering to check this out. 

loved the first album but mainly remember LA DEMEURE have lots of high pitch noises and kind of being a difficult listen, and easily forgot to check this one out.

anyhow!! the whole thing is up on youtube. say what you will about piracy, but for me personally, being able to hear the album in a proper context and sink into it a little bit really says alot for me enjoying music or not. and i am enjoying this a lot. and now i am going to buy mp3s of it and own it legally. 

listen!! it is good :^) 

• 1 year later...

I really enjoy grischa's output,

there is a new mix, afaik with lots of unreleased stuff

http://mindwaves-music.com/2018/09/30/mindcast-50-grischa-lichtenberger/

Thanks for the info! There is a 320 mp3 download link here

tracklist:

this is really nice. some killer jams in there. 

Holy crap, how did I miss this....

Never gave Spielraum a proper listen for some reason, it didn't grab me like [inertia] did. Which by the way I haven't listened to in years and this bump made me revisit, what a fucking album.

Archived