Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

modey

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WNS000

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

and!!!

MESHUGGAH drummer Tomas Haake says the band recorded its forthcoming album, "The Violent Sleep Of Reason", live in the studio — marking the first time they have done that "in 20-25 years."

I am going to destroy something. Purrrrrrrrrrrre angerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Guest bitroast

Preordered!

Also the least dodgy Meshuggah album artwork since...forever?

(( the vinyl version in particular of )) Koloss looks wicked. i could stare at that shit for days. 

(( the vinyl version in particular of )) Koloss looks wicked. i could stare at that shit for days. 

I didn't know you were into meshuggah! Did we finally get you into metal?!

Guest bitroast

I didn't know you were into meshuggah! Did we finally get you into metal?!

i like metal but not enough to actively listen to it on my own :^) 

meshuggah i dig because it's really easy to appreciate the psychedelic (IDM !!!) aspects of it. perhaps there's more metal stuff like that out there that i'm just not familiar with. perhaps not. either way. i dig it. but i'm not super ' into ' it or anything. 

i'm like those fake ass social smokers who will only smoke when out drinking with friends. 

and yeah, i really like the Koloss packaging i think it's fucken wicked. lil cheesy sure but .. i like it. 

Looking forward to this one, interesting that they recorded it live.

Would love more time changes though, and that mid tempo that the preview track is in has been played out a bit.

The name of the band is killing me... it reminds me of a german dialectal term for "crazy", but this dialect is so funny sounding that I can't take that name serious, sorry

not nearly as bad a name as Job For A Cowboy or iLiKETRAiNS

Looking forward to this one, interesting that they recorded it live.

Would love more time changes though, and that mid tempo that the preview track is in has been played out a bit.

yeah, I was really happy to hear the thrashy track on Koloss, even though it too descends into a half-time thing by the end. Who knows, maybe the new album will contain more minimalist thrash..?

haha, they'll never do stuff like that again! I remember having a dream about hearing a new Meshuggah album where they re-introduced melodic vocals in their choruses.. then I woke up and though "nahhhh they'd never do that".

Meshuggah is like the Autechre of metal.. always moving towards the future.

Meshuggah is like the Autechre of metal.. always moving towards the future.

Tbh i don't see how they really pushed their own or anyone else's envelope since "Nothing" (probably with the exception of "I" EP). More like they became the AC/DC of "Djent". Or something. Track's OK.

They're pushing the envelope of minimalism, imo. Rather than taking the style and adding to it, in the way that bands like Periphery, Tesseract etc do (don't get me wrong, I love those bands too), they're instead subtracting; with each album they seem to strip things back a little more. imo of course.

They're pushing the envelope of minimalism, imo. Rather than taking the style and adding to it, in the way that bands like Periphery, Tesseract etc do (don't get me wrong, I love those bands too), they're instead subtracting; with each album they seem to strip things back a little more. imo of course.

i don't wanna question their degree of innovation (they spawned a whole new kind of subgenre after all) and the kind of development you're describing sounds 100% accurate to me, i just think the stripping down peaked with "nothing" really. that new track doesn't strike me as considerably more minimalistic than their recent output, wouldn't feel out of place on any of the last few albums imo.

autechre on the other hand, while maybe not having quite the cultural impact they used to, are still constantly reinventing themselves and honing the craft, often even over the course of single releases. so yeah giving both credit fo sho (nothing against carving a niche and feeling comfortable in it) but the comparison doesn't hold up for reasons imo...

also

Gimme some maximalist thrash a la DEI!

:D

Really happy to have seen them live once, one of the tighest live bands, but I just can't handle the studio stuff. The obnoxious vocals and production are the fucking worst and this preview track is still the one trick pony chugga chugga stuff they've been doing forever.

Props for doing the studio album live though, that's really impressive.

I'd love me some instrumental meshuggah

Have you too noticed the vocals a bit too loud in the mix?

Yes to both.

P.S.: I'd instantly sign for a follow up to Sol Niger Within though.

Archived