IGNORED

Bad advice you've been given or does not make sense

Bechuga

My older brother came over to collect something he had bought from me and saw one of my records on the shelf, the cover ninety degrees counter clockwise so the title was on its side (Deftones' Diamond Eyes).

"You should always store those the right way up," he said, himself an owner of no vinyl records whatsoever. "That's going to damage it."

I explained to him that storing a record flat is bad, yes, but standing upright is fine, cover the right way or not.

"No," he said, "even standing upright, you can damage them. Even a standing up album can be upside down."

:psyduck:

edit: he has said this particular advice to me before, but I still not cannot wrap my head around it, no matter how many times he asserts it to be true

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

edit: he has said this particular advice to me before, but I still not cannot wrap my head around it, no matter how many times he asserts it to be true

Your older brother came (broke in) to my place and started yelling at me about my vinyl collection too. But he said the exact opposite of what you said.

I'm starting to think he's fuckin with us.

My previous psychiatrist told me there was "no scientific evidence that diet affects mood".

Things like that have been eroding my confidence in The Western Perspective for some time now.

So he's saying if I eat this fork in front of me, it won't make me irritable?

Edit: to clarify, I mean the way people in the west tend to think...obviously the West knows that diet greatly affects mood...but the fact that a psychiatrist (of all people) would so confidently express such a bad idea (and that intuitively this idea would make sense to his worldview) is evidence of some systemic problem or other

Edit: to clarify, I mean the way people in the west tend to think...obviously the West knows that diet greatly affects mood...but the fact that a psychiatrist (of all people) would so confidently express such a bad idea (and that intuitively this idea would make sense to his worldview) is evidence of some systemic problem or other

or perhaps evidence of a bad psychologist. Now if you find two of them in tandem...

lol how much did you pay for this sage advice?

Well, this is after my long-time Jungian/60's psychiatrist retired and he had a succession of temporary replacements that I was referred to

or perhaps evidence of a bad psychologist. Now if you find two of them in tandem...

The fact that he could make it so far with such a fundamentally backwards idea says as much about the education system he came up through as it does about him, no?

The fact that he could make it so far with such a fundamentally backwards idea says as much about the education system he came up through as it does about him, no? 

Well, I avoid generalization in general when I only have a single example. Just because he passed his classes doesn't mean he doesn't have a few irrational beliefs. 

Well, certainly it is merely one data point. But like I said, my "Western disillusionment" is founded on many such data points.

I was raised on 60's self-help books and eastern religious texts and some of the sillier New Age stuff...and then I sorta drifted in the opposite, more "Western" direction...and now I've come back around to thinking that beyond science and technology, the sorts of experiences and worldviews typically on offer in the West are as backwards as a human being can get.

My previous psychiatrist told me there was "no scientific evidence that diet affects mood".

Things like that have been eroding my confidence in The Western Perspective for some time now.

So he's saying if I eat this fork in front of me, it won't make me irritable?

* pays brisbot 5 bucks to eat a fork *

problem being that many people educated in western medicine have very incorrect views or are even ignorant of how diet contributes to health status. Even so many of them tout "low fat diets" as healthy when they are scientifically very obviously unhealthy and result in increased levels of obesity. But I digress, point being, doctors & other health professionals fucking suck a lot of the time, and they will quite literally ruin your body if you allow them to. Even orthodontics is utterly depressingly bad for you, and it's not talked about, because  not enough people understand that when you start altering teeth for cosmetic outcomes, you can in a lot of cases, completely destroy the functioning of the jaw and create an intensely uncomfortable and unhealthy existence as well as an inferior cosmetic appearance of the face by doing so.

but anyway, I'll go back to fixing all the damage doctors and orthodontists did to my body as I grow up. It's going to be great when I have to spend 50k on my jaw, because my ortho decided that extracting teeth made any sense at all, and now can't be held responsible for it.

I fucking hate healthcare professionals tbh

"have a problem?"

"here take drugs"

What a dumbass approach to health

It's not so funny that I'm in a constant state of helping people fix themselves after doctors have utterly failed them. The amount of people I encounter with digestive problems that doctors have either been unable to diagnose or misdiagnosed and they are in a constant poor health status is astounding. I seriously spend an incredible amount of time consulting with people. it's ridiculous. 

Like, prescribing fucking thyroid hormone for someone with hypothyroidism is not a solution to a poorly functioning thyroid. If your thyroid is in dysfunction and you aren't taking steps to improve its function  and you're just masking it with fucking synthetic hormone stimulation you're not even paying attention to the fact that your body is fucked and you're not going to improve it by focusing on the effect and not the cause. 

jesus christ. sorry this is not directed at you bris.

But I digress, point being, doctors & other health professionals fucking suck a lot of the time, and they will quite literally ruin your body if you allow them to.

Good doctors don't. They can save lives

Right but a very low percentage of doctors actually go about healing people without drug interventions which is the problem I'm talking about.

Others will use invasive and often unnecessary surgeries to fix problems that could be resolved with diet and supplementation.

"saving lives" is a poor phrasing. It should be "keeping people alive and suffering", because that's often what it is. 

We have extended our lifespans a great deal, but our actual health state is decreasing as a society.

The authoritarian approach to health as perpetuated by doctors and the drug industry is a failure and needs immediate reform.

Archived