IGNORED

Machinedrum - Human Energy

usagi

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tried listening to this on the way to work the morning after the election. the mood on the train was similar to the day after 9/11 so i figured some crystal healing uplift music would hit the spot. wanted to break my phone. ended up listening to burzum. probably still aoty for me tho, but in many ways, the worst album i've ever heard.

"vapor city sounded like fog descending on a dreary winter morning" and "human energy is a rainbow". the writer previously wrote that "burial sounds like a rainy night in london" and "boards of canada sound like some half remembered dream".

• 2 weeks later...

god the lyrics in do it 4 u are so fucking retarded but the production is slick as all heck. first 30 seconds sound so good but then-

I DON WANNA SMOKE DIS

LEMME GET YA LIKE

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

it's not a turd through-and-through though, that's what makes this so contentious. it's a solid album in many ways but the sort of attitude and feeling he's decided to infuse it with just makes it so grotesque and unpalatable. but I'm not going around saying it's a totally shit record.

it's not a turd through-and-through though, that's what makes this so contentious. it's a solid album in many ways but the sort of attitude and feeling he's decided to infuse it with just makes it so grotesque and unpalatable. but I'm not going around saying it's a totally shit record.

Yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit. There are worse albums for sure. It's still repulsive though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

apathy is my default with this album - I've defended it earlier based mostly on my respect for the producer but I can't deny there are days this album just pisses me off in every way as exhibit A of everything trite and meaningless in EDM these days

I will simply say I have not felt any strong need or want to return to this album since it came out

I saw Machinedrum at Bangface and this music really came alive. Maybe because it was a bright counterpoint to the usual stuff at BF, but it sounded phenomenal live. I fucking loved it. I've got the album ready to give another go but I feel like it won't translate as well.

If you don't like this stuff it's still well worth seeing him live to see the difference it makes. Also it's good to dance to and all the girls love that shit, proper moist.

Archived