IGNORED

Machinedrum - Human Energy

usagi

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am definitely enjoying the sound of the choppy/stringy/bouncy synths on this.

Good reference point to Slugabed - Coolest EP, which I loved when it came out, even though I didn't really think it was my kind of music, it stuck on me and I still play it.

Also feel a strong PC music influence here.

I gotta say I like the....energy of it lol

I really wanted to like this but I hate it, it's pretentious style-over-substance EDM influenced wank, dressed up as something that could be potentially conceptually interesting. The only human energy I got from this was irritation. I look forward to the death of those fucking horrid chipmunk vocals too.

I think the sound design on this is great because it really does make me imagine crystals and light refraction. Not that I'm particularly interested in crystal energy healing, but I like how the theme and sound of the album are so cohesive.

Tell U is a jam.

I honestly tried listening to this yesterday but it was aurally repulsive. I made it through the intro track, but I couldn't get past about 2 minutes of any other tracks. I tried at least 5 other ones, then gave up. I'll try again, maybe, one day. To all of you enjoying it, good for you!

Goddamn he fucked up that drop at 1:07. You can tell he's really building with rising action but the way the main line gets gated and truncated makes it sound so anemic. I'm listening on my phone so somebody chime in if there are nulls I'm missing. I feel the need to point out how tight it is in "Clissold V.I.P." when he does an identical buildup but has the proper follow-up in the form of a murderous bassline. Roll that shit up.

you're not wrong, it sounds wonky, and not in a good way.

Trevor pls

is there a certain set of timbres /frequencies that sound good on molly and/or drunk off vodka redbulls but sounds underwhelming sober? Did Croydon style dubstep never go mainstream b/c it was 2 scary 4 EDM kids? (Half-serious question here)

This is the Future Brown Effect™ all over again.

If WATMM hates it, it must be interesting.

Just put it on my phone.

I think I remember you saying you liked Sophie! If you like his music, you'll most definitely dig this <:

Yeah I posted after first listen at home.

On phone for repeat listening ;^)

Wow he really sucks now.

He used to be somewhat ok, but now he hasn't done anything good since Room(s). What happened?  :sad:

edit: drugs probably  marriage prolly

Written between January and April 2016, the record “reflects a period of great change in my life. I moved across the country to a new city, I proposed to the girl of my dreams, I moved into a new house, bought a brand new computer and set off to write a new album.”

"Trevor, do U take this woman and her spirit animal, 2 have n 2 hold, twirl your stache while you browse the BOC subforum, share your aura, with hihats everywhere, til death do you part?"

I dunno, I feel on paper I should dislike this more than I do, but I keep coming back to it, some real infectious jams on here and I like a lot of the FM timbres. There are a few tracks I still can't really dig though, so this feels like it won't have staying power. Still, enjoying it well enough!

Wow he really sucks now.

He used to be somewhat ok, but now he hasn't done anything good since Room(s). What happened?  :sad:

edit: drugs probably  marriage prolly

Written between January and April 2016, the record “reflects a period of great change in my life. I moved across the country to a new city, I proposed to the girl of my dreams, I moved into a new house, bought a brand new computer and set off to write a new album.”

Why does everybody think that when people change their sound that it's because of something awful or because of the label "pushing on the artists, maaaan"? This is some of the happiest music I've heard this year next to Mineral Love by Bibio! lol

That's a very sweet, comfy Machinedrum quote right there. Maybe I'll use it to bring back my chill thread. ^v^

I agree, and as I pondered earlier, I think it's most likely and logical he made this album this way because he simply wanted to.

I dunno, I feel on paper I should dislike this more than I do, but I keep coming back to it, some real infectious jams on here and I like a lot of the FM timbres. There are a few tracks I still can't really dig though, so this feels like it won't have staying power. Still, enjoying it well enough!

Same here. I really liked it though, not just "it's not half bad" either, I sincerely enjoyed it. 

"Dos Puertas" is a throwaway track though, the kind of sound I was worried would dominate the whole LP but thankfully didn't. The rest sounds like Sepalcure coupled with his Want To 1 2 / Many Faces era production. I won't lie, I will revisit this album more than Vapor City, which seems quite ambitious and bloated in comparison. As great as Room(s) was there's no way he could keep re-doing that forever.

I find this pretty enjoyable. I get fatigued by the end, but I had low expectations, so there were some good surprises for sure. I think my favorite is Spectrum Sequence.

Still a bit formulaic, buy it's nice to hear Travis branching out a bit

Archived