IGNORED

Classic Breaks

Braintree

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the 90s hacker/y2k thing, this is the sample/breaks disc that defined it as far as being what so many of the soundtracks and commercial tracks and library music tracks and things that weren't generally breaking new ground but made up the larger pop culture landscape that was part of the whole thing were getting their samples from.  Trip hop, too. The most familiar versions of nearly every overused 90s break and one shot is on there somewhere.  Whether that's a good thing or not isn't for me to judge.

Also here's a short but entertaining Gearslutz thread about early 90s breaks collections.

I haven't been doing much sampling the past year or so but once I've finished the project I'm working on now I think my next thing is probably going to be built around some of these, the actual discs are really ahrd to find and expensive these days but I've got some ISOs stashed away somewhere, and a few CD-Rs I got from a Dutch guy I used to be in a gamelan with in the early 2000s who was really in to psytrance.

the amen break has the golden ratio in it but only the highly compressed realaudio file from some geocities site from 1999

Man I've heard the "think about it" break A LOT lately, not just in grime and underground house but also in indie pop and dance quite often. That rave stuff Lone and other future bass producers delved in years ago never went away. . I'm actually pretty sure they are back in vogue, in fact often I hear them sprinkled in or cut up into fairly novel rhythms or more subtle ways, like the Ben Kahn track I posted.

I used think about it on like every track on my new album

I have a confession to make. I dislike the amen break.. most of the time. I'm not saying it's objectively bad. I just don't dig it. Sometimes I'll hear it pitched in an interesting way, or with interesting FX on top, but just straight amen break mangling kinda annoys me. I don't like the sound of it. It seems out of place.

Besides that break, I like literally every other classic break I've heard. That I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread as just learned about Paradox...the guy is excellent...so tight and yet still has that shuffle....uses an amiga and akai still

Here's a q and a...would love to see him at it in the studio

https://www.scribd.com/document/45058587/Q-amp-A-Session-02-Paradox

Resurrecting this thread as just learned about Paradox...the guy is excellent...so tight and yet still has that shuffle....uses an amiga and akai still

Here's a q and a...would love to see him at it in the studio

https://www.scribd.com/document/45058587/Q-amp-A-Session-02-Paradox

that's cool. is like making jungle in Emacs

I think this thread's a duplicate of Breakbeat Resource.  Or at least, it was originally, for anyone looking to find various classic breakbeats.

Does anyone have a pack of classic breaks in high quality?

Sorry if this is in another thread, but I couldn't find it. Also, Googling turned up a ton of old, low quality bullshit.

....that I downloaded like 500 years ago, prolly from some site called "coolphatbreakbeatloopz.co.uk".

I think you mean phatdrumloops.com, I remember downloading a few breaks at a time to 3.5' disks in an internetcafe back in the days. Mostly shitty quality, but that adds flavor innit. 

....that I downloaded like 500 years ago, prolly from some site called "coolphatbreakbeatloopz.co.uk".

I think you mean phatdrumloops.com, I remember downloading a few breaks at a time to 3.5' disks in an internetcafe back in the days. Mostly shitty quality, but that adds flavor innit. 

Shitty quality?  Surely you jest.

post-19174-0-93609900-1506525957_thumb.gif

PRISTINE

lol, does anyone have these? Badly ripped breaks would be a great subject for a watmm compilation.

all my breaks come from a CDr from some guy in Sweden made me years ago when CD writers were just coming out. Something went wrong during the burning process and some of the samples have massive distortion on certain sections. A weird happy accident really. The point is: I agree that poor tech makes interesting results. 

Badly ripped breaks would be a great subject for a watmm compilation.

god damn yes, I would be 100% up for this

The site is still up so maybe the badly ripped/encoded ones are still there.

Archived