IGNORED

Name one thing about modern day life that really irritates you

fumi

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

i kind of think the long running tv show phenomenon is booming partly because it plays into peoples distracted attention spans better than any other medium atm. it's so easy to put on episodes of things but only half pay attention while dicking about on the internet or on your phone. or maybe it's because tv shows are genuinely enjoyable and hollywood has turned into a soulless (even more so) farce. either way. can def relate to the phone while watching movie thing. 

also, it's pretty much impossible to go to the movies without having the experience tampered by gimboid losers talking or checking their phones and not paying attention. i guess this has always been a bit of an issue but its def gotten worse as tech has helped lower peoples attention spans. 

The motor vehicle registry giving everyone that has no place behind a wheel, a license to operate a motor vehicle.

Almost get sideswiped or t boned (4 way stops) on the reg.

I feel this a lot.The Twin Cities have had quite an increase in population in the last few years, especially a rise in Somalian refugees, 90% of those women absolutely DO NOT belong on the road, I've gotten damn near killed many times myself. How they got a license I'll never understand. (Though I hear many drive around here without licenses, which is even fucking worse) 

Our problem here is that the people that administer the drivers exams/run the registries are the same demographic as those that should get extra training before hitting our streets (as we have tons of road rules compared to their home countries). 

I've been to lots of SE Asia and some parts of South America, I get it, road rules aren't a priority in their countries. However when they immigrate here, and those from their local community (people see them at church/temple/mosque/etc) work at the registry, unfortunately there is a bit of bias in the licensing area; end result is many people get licenses without actual competency.

I fully understand how my comments there might appear to be broad sweeping or generalizing or whatever but I live it every day: I have a 4 way stop in front of my house, it's so bad we've turned the honking when people go out of turn into a drinking game. lol

vehemently trying to avoid falling into the "old and bitter" thing but 2 things do spring to mind instantly:

- ppl being more concerned about conserving moments instead of "actually" experiencing them. like every other person filming a concert with their smartphones instead of making body stuff. one could also simply speak of external preservation instead of internal, only in this case the act of the former is actively (de-)shaping the moment in question considerably. i don't know if that's good / bad but certainly bewildering to me.

- facebook and its noncommittal "like" culture, more about defining yourself as a sum of your affections than the object "liked" as being appreciated.

____

come to think of it... in general:

- oversaturation, cultural in particular... which could just as well be only me unable to keep up. dunno.

i kind of think the long running tv show phenomenon is booming partly because it plays into peoples distracted attention spans better than any other medium atm. it's so easy to put on episodes of things but only half pay attention while dicking about on the internet or on your phone. or maybe it's because tv shows are genuinely enjoyable and hollywood has turned into a soulless (even more so) farce. either way. can def relate to the phone while watching movie thing. 

also, it's pretty much impossible to go to the movies without having the experience tampered by gimboid losers talking or checking their phones and not paying attention. i guess this has always been a bit of an issue but its def gotten worse as tech has helped lower peoples attention spans. 

possible counterargument: tv shows allow for bigger scopes in storytelling and don't forget the popular "binge watching". also episodes tend to get quite long, up to an hour each. can't really see it as an attention deficit phenomenon personally. more like you said: hollywood running dry.

Fashion, consumerism, mobile phones, the pressure to upgrade everything every fucking year - including car and home insurance.

I want this guy's job: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/30/us-national-parks-fire-lookout-forest-wildfire

I have a friend with a job like that. He surveys national forest boundaries somewhere up in Oregon/Idaho out in the middle of nowhere. It can be maddening for some though, he gets a bit bored not seeing people other than the handful of coworkers he has.

suburbia; both place & mindset. 

wish my suburban dwelling was that nice looking  :catcry:

Social media / perpetual online interaction.

I feel like people used to be content with their own personal sphere of friends, family, hobbies, media, and self-reflection when it was the only option.

The motor vehicle registry giving everyone that has no place behind a wheel, a license to operate a motor vehicle.

I feel like people used to be content with their own personal sphere of friends, family, hobbies, media, and self-reflection when it was the only option.

I certainly did, now I feel like if I quit Facebook/Twitter I'll end up bored and alone - when in fact I'll probably be happier than ever.

OOOOH I ALMOST FORGOT:

fucking microtransactions in videogames!

back in the day people were paid as beta testers and if you purchased something you fucking got what u saw, nowadays YOU have to continuously pay for playing testing buggy and / or half finished bullshit, even more bs if it's "FTP".

same with "software as service" adobe CS n shit... bah!

I certainly did, now I feel like if I quit Facebook/Twitter I'll end up bored and alone - when in fact I'll probably be happier than ever.

I almost pulled the trigger but didn't. I stopped checking twitter, FB feeds, instagram, etc. though. Felt good. I only pop on there if someone IRL mentions a link of if I want to send a direct message. It's also the easiest way to talk to my family that lives out of state so I won't deactivate it.

There was a goal of mine to treat the internet like it was 1995, a one way interaction besides email and forums as an expection but I haven't committed 100% yet.

I've been working crazy hours so evening post-work/dinner/kid's bath & bedtime/chore/dog walk I still end up winding down playing words with friends, browsing niche subreddits and watching silly youtube videos with my wife.

Also I still read magazines in waiting rooms, hah. I rarely get on my phone in public alone.

Archived