IGNORED

KRK Rokits vs Presonus

QrQ

Hi folks. Going to buy my first pair of budget monitors.

KRK Rokit 5 G3 are obviously very popular for bedroom producers but do have a hyped low end.

Presonus eris e5's have very good reviews and apparently have a flatter frequency response. Don't know anybody who has these personally.

Both are around £250 for a pair.

Anyone any advice or experience about these two?

Much appreciated.

Yeah.

I I would never recommend Rokits. They colour far too much so you're not making what you're hearing.

I tried loads of low to mid range budget monitors over a couple of year before I bought and rokits were by far the worst.

I ended up with Adams, they sounded the most true as much as I could tell.

One of the nicest budget monitors I ever heard were Samson rubicon's but they seem to be non existent now.

An extra pair of Rokit's can be good (8") if you're doing extra tweaks to dance music etc.. but they're really not great as main monitors.

Not a fan of Genelecs or Tannoys either.. so i'd say go with Yamaha or Adams if you can.

While we're talking monitors,does anyone know of decent SEALED/acoustic suspension midfields that aren't in the stratospheric audiophile price range?  I really hate the sound of every ported speakers I've tried (including some very expensive stuff I've gotten to listen to over the years), especially in the too small, untreated spaces I usually have to mix in, but acoustic suspension is tough to find these days and my old AR's are starting to fail (hopefully a repairable crossover problem but it sounds worse than that to me).

I think anything that would fit my needs and budget would be good advice for QrQ too.

I've got a pair of Tannoy Reveal 802s and in my opinion they're fantastic... Do some Googling, most users seem to agree. They are quite large and incredibly loud though (like, really really fucking loud) so not ideal for all spaces (hence my 502 suggestion). I guess with monitors though a lot of it comes down to personal preference and what sounds good to your ears - pretty much any half decent pair of monitors will "do the job" and enable you to mix your tracks to a reasonable standard. So best thing to do is actually try some out if you can - listen to some Rokits, some Adams, some Tannoys etc and get the ones you like best and you can afford.

I have the JBL 305s or something. They sound great and have lots of definition. But not very loud. 

I haven't had that much experience of stuff to compare them to. I've heard some Rokits and Genelecs. I thought the Genelecs sounded amazing I will say that the Genelecs did have some device that to took measurements and adjusted the sound to suit the room. I've never been impressed by Rokkits tbh, like they seem pretty reliable and middle of the road. 

got the Yamaha HS8 a few months ago and like them a lot. They are budget monitors, but according to *a lot* of reviews pretty fantastic for the money - they are a bit above your budget, but maybe check out the smaller HS7 and HS5 which just aren't that loud and don't go as low in the bass sector.

• 1 month later...

bumping this thread cause I've been saving money for some gear but realised I've been producing with shitty logitechs for the past 5 years so I guess it's finally time for some monitors.

pls recommend pls

700$ max

i've been mixing on headphones since the beggining. I'd really like some good speakers to listen to music aswell.

Plus those phone sized speakers I have are just depressing to look at

700$ max

i've been mixing on headphones since the beggining. I'd really like some good speakers to listen to music aswell.

I'd go for some Genelecs. I'm thinking about buying the Genelec M040 AM at the end of the year. I mixed one tune on the smallest pair of Genelecs once and it's the best sounding tune I've ever mixed.

Right now I've got the KRK Rokit 8. They're fun because they're boomy as hell but it sucks having made a tune for client and when you listen to your tune on a "normal" pair of speakers you'll always be missing some of the lower midtones.

Ideally, I'd love to have multiple setups. Some small Genelecs with a sub for sound design, some big Genelecs, and some Avantone MixCubes for reference.

700$ max

I'd go for some Genelecs. I'm thinking about buying the Genelec M040 AM at the end of the year. I mixed one tune on the smallest pair of Genelecs once and it's the best sounding tune I've ever mixed.

Right now I've got the KRK Rokit 8. They're fun because they're boomy as hell but it sucks having made a tune for client and when you listen to your tune on a "normal" pair of speakers you'll always be missing some of the lower midtones.

Ideally, I'd love to have multiple setups. Some small Genelecs with a sub for sound design, some big Genelecs, and some Avantone MixCubes for reference.

those Genelecs look great but they're way over my budget. I'm torn between the Yamaha HS8 and the Adam F7, i've read some reviews and they seem pretty good for the price.

Have any experience with those?

The Equality D'5s (and D7's I think they're called) are really solid near-field monitors

When they first came out there was a massive introductory sale on D5's

And that's the only reason I have decent monitors

Should I not get monitors then? i'm genuinely asking

The Equality D'5s (and D7's I think they're called) are really solid near-field monitors

Why would you not get monitors?

I meant the only reason I have *nice* monitors is because of that sale.

Oh gotcha.

I can't find those btw. Do you mean these?

Oh gotcha.

I can't find those btw. Do you mean these?

Yeah sorry I'm stupid "equator" not "equality" lol

Anyone have any experience with the Adam F5s? Looking for something that's gonna give me decent bass without a sub. 

You want something that rolls off at 60hz?

Buy some tiny Genelecs.

Anyone have any experience with the Adam F5s? Looking for something that's gonna give me decent bass without a sub. 

Are you saying that the F5's roll off at 60hz? 

I meant something that will give me decent bass, without having to buy a sub. 

I meant something that will give me decent bass, without having to buy a sub. 

Oooh! Well, I think the Adam F5s are pretty ok. They're rather linear as far as I know. If you want something with some good low end you should look into the KRKs. For music production they're a bit too saturated when it comes to the low end material but for listening to music they're a blast.

Archived