IGNORED

Elektron AnalogHeat

Guest Chesney

Not really. I do what I do. I just prefer to make my own sounds. I own plenty of stuff that is popular taht has large scope. Certain pieces have a specific character which many people use and these sounds tend to get lumped into genre ideas, I have no intention of sounding like anyone else or any genre. Saying that, You would easily work out my influences I imagine, i'm not special in any way. I just enjoy making stuff I like the sound of.

Edit: and yeah, I love gear ;)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally expected it to be like $1400 like all of the other Elektron gear. $750 isn't bad considering their other stuff, but still not a great price point for what it does.

there's other options w/different feature sets/interface.. oto biscuit is one that comes to mind. 

i hope this thing does well for elektron so they can make some other standalone hardware FX box...  delays, verbs, resonators etc etc.. all in a box with lot's of control.. could be interesting and cheaper than Heat since it won't have to be analog circuitry.. just some DSP and ADC

but i've no desire for the Heat. 

I thought that maybe Elektron would learn from past mistakes and NOT release a stupid fucking trailer for this, unlike their other products. Boy was I wrong.

in the off chance you missed it...

hot shit

I saw that this morning and was immediately reminded by the attack-techno RYTM advert where a crazy 808 thing plays and some synths bark at you in a strobe-lit room full of hardcore dancers. Although it at least showcased the product a little better... lol @ the old boom box burning. 

This thing looks about 200$ overpriced IMO. Looks like they're trying to give moog a run for its money on limited and overpriced analog effects units (at least I assume it's all analog, if it's digi why the eff is it so expensive?)

Despite never having touched a bit of their kit, Elektron might be my favorite gear maker

I've owned a machinedrum and rytm from them and loved them both. Unfortunately I bought them at times in my life where my finances were fluxuating more and sold them before some of my other gear. 

Always wanted an analog 4 or monomachine tho. 

As someone who has barely touched any drum machines and couldn't source the sounds of anything beyond basic 808/909/606s, I feel entirely confident in saying that the Rytm which I've only owned for a scant few months is the best fucking drum machine ever produced on this planet.

As someone who has barely touched any drum machines and couldn't source the sounds of anything beyond basic 808/909/606s, I feel entirely confident in saying that the Rytm which I've only owned for a scant few months is the best fucking drum machine ever produced on this planet.

what's the difference between the rythm and the machine drum?

Better live recording with there being pads, analog signal path, actually being sold officially on their website and has support for Über radical presets that they'll sell for $15 each

^ All true. The focus on live manipulation is far more refined in the Rytm vs the Machinedrum. I'm no analog > digital guy by any stretch of the imagination, but it comes down to the analog machines in the Rytm, specifically the kicks, snares, and toms (the hats/cymbals could use improvements and versatility). The machine as a whole is well designed, if the Elektron workflow clicks for you (some people it doesn't, of course); decent filters and usually adequate effects, but all sorts of composition possibilities are possible and most importantly suggested. The thing breeds inspiration. It's not the most versatile drum machine, and it surely has its flaws, but for what it is designed to be, it's a fucking diamond.

But anyway the audio I heard tonight of the Heat sounds damned nice. If they'd given the box a bit more of something (more ins/outs, more effects, etc) it might've justified its existence, but it honestly seems too niche for most users. Will probably find a market in studios and with the Elektron gearheads already out there. If they're really wanting to expand their footprint, this may be a step in the right direction but they're going to need to be more unique and confident than devices like this.

there are several.

MDUW things:

- MIDI sequencing

- CTAL Parameter tweaks on all tracks at once. This is unique and awesome

- can record samples, live re-sample. This is a biggie, it's a lot of fun

- unique-sounding digital angularity

- altogether wider range of synthesized sounds

Rytm pro things:

- much more processing power, means more advanced sequencer features (sub-step timing, polyrhythms, trig conditions...)

- USB, which has MIDI which isn't buggy, and a built in audio interface

- Overbridge computer integration

- massive analog thumping sound, including a badass compressor

they're very different - for a drum machine, the Rytm is more focused and modern, and I would recommend it. Its sound is what makes the difference. The sound kicks ass.

The MDUW is just completely different. In comparison, in parts it's very basic and old. But then again you can do all these crazy little tricks on it which the Rytm can't do, especially the sampling. Would recommend if looking for weirdo creative all-in-one device. Would not recommend the non-UW MD.

zzzzz.

wake me up when this analog fetishism is over & elektron starts making innovative digital instruments again.

my thoughts too. though the sequencer in the rytm is pretty dope... the Octatrack is a beast... same killer sequencer and 8 midi tracks too. fun for the whole studio. 

but yeah.. i'd love them to make a monomachine MKIII w/all kinds of fm and the sequencer like in the octatrack. or some weirdo digital FX box. i think they all just want to make techno over there though. 

it's funny.. my modular has turned into an even mix of digital and analog modules. digital is exploding in eurorack. even Diy open source stuff. it's bonkers. 

rytm sounds hench.  Not only does it smack like a techno drum machine should, it has the energy of a 909 & for me thats all I need. 

its not slow & swampy like some 808-style sound, it plays very very well & 140-150 which makes me grin

but yea,  AH is a bit of a meh product.  cool & that but for the money (jesus in pounds its a fortune) its a bit of a rich persons toy. 

they probably have a big boutique range of stuff coming out havent they.  I hope we dont have to buy 5 units @£700-odd to get the new elektron.   The A4 is priced really really well.  seems a bit strange

This is out of my price range for what it is (especially since as a guitarist I have a bunch of analog distortions already, and a GP10 if I want to midi sync effects).. but if it's the beginning of a new range of MIDI controllable elektron effects, then I'm interested for sure. Would love to see a stereo analog compressor, or a lush reverb that can be sidechained, or yeah some more wacky effects..

I'm ever so slightly disappointed that it doesn't have a sequencer though.. that said if you have a monomachine or machine drum or octatrack already you could sequence it..

If the MDUW had microtiming and different track lengths, it will be the the most amazing piece of gear ever. Oh and a perf mode like the A4/rytm to use in conjunction with ctrl all. Oh and the new High Speed LFOs, AND the probability trigs with fill.

OOF!

Archived