IGNORED

Elektron AnalogHeat

Guest Chesney

Guest bitroast

they really have a knack for fragmenting their useful functionalities across multiple devices, charging alot for the devices, and somehow not being the worst company in the world :^) 

^ @ previous 2 posts

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word

No, compared to a couple of second-hand monotron delays and cheap knackered 80s distortion pedals. It's not that bad compared to high end pedals and modular gear, but it's more than I would pay.

need more facts about this thing.

The other Elektrons have been worth the admission imo, this one just doesn't seem to have similar lasting value from what is known. I expect it to have special tricks beyond the nice sound.

need more facts about this thing.

The other Elektrons have been worth the admission imo, this one just doesn't seem to have similar lasting value from what is known. I expect it to have special tricks beyond the nice sound.

Yes. The display and 4 knobs underneath it leaves things to the imagination. Depending on the MIDI implementation, it might be possible to do some creative parameter gymnastics with the distortion, filter, eq, envelope, and LFO.

If it didn't have distortion type names screened around the big knob this could have had the scope for a vast effect box with added update algorthims a bit like the eventide H9 pedal. Now that would be amazing. But then again, they have some quite good effects in other boxes so they'd have to get quirky. I'd like to see something like the WMD geiger counter with insane waves that can destroy audio. 

This, on the face seems far too simple for elektron and no obvious ways to expand from the looks of things. Unless, this is shown purposely and the units ship with red text parameters accessed with a shift. Doubt it though.

If it didn't have distortion type names screened around the big knob this could have had the scope for a vast effect box with added update algorthims a bit like the eventide H9 pedal. Now that would be amazing. But then again, they have some quite good effects in other boxes so they'd have to get quirky. I'd like to see something like the WMD geiger counter with insane waves that can destroy audio. 

This, on the face seems far too simple for elektron and no obvious ways to expand from the looks of things. Unless, this is shown purposely and the units ship with red text parameters accessed with a shift. Doubt it though.

You are really right there, this certainly isnt the be all of distortions is it.  No wavefolder/shaper like you said.  The GC is great, ive got one & love its insanity.   

This reminds me a lot of the Moonwind.

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.php?lang=2&category=2&product_id=15

A very similar concept, but with an integrated step sequencer. Just as crazy expensive.

That thing is insane. And half of it sounds so dry and occasionally terrible, but it is just the demo video I watched...but a very interesting product. Looking around their site, the T-Resonator looks and sounds much more intriguing to me. I saw 'feedback network' and got an instant boner. Decent sounds out of it too.

I would love to have a go on a sunsyn.   I like jomox for being a bit crazy.  wasnt the sunsyns pcbs hand made crazy things?  it never worked properly but had a great sound from what ive heard

• 5 weeks later...

i hope this thing does well for elektron so they can make some other standalone hardware FX box...  delays, verbs, resonators etc etc.. all in a box with lot's of control.. could be interesting and cheaper than Heat since it won't have to be analog circuitry.. just some DSP and ADC

but i've no desire for the Heat. 

zzzzz.

wake me up when this analog fetishism is over & elektron starts making innovative digital instruments again.

but yeah.. i'd love them to make a monomachine MKIII w/all kinds of fm and the sequencer like in the octatrack. or some weirdo digital FX box. i think they all just want to make techno over there though. 

All of this. I really hope this gets the analog bug out of their system for a while. This tabletop thing could be a good format for some more budget ideas so I do hope they keep what's good about this and give analog mania a well-damn-deserved rest.

cenk + nick batt double duo demo time 

Sounds wikkid good and honestly probably a better item to buy than a synth for the same price, if you're just starting out. But I feel like people only want synths these days. 

it does sound great in that sonic lab video. it's like Andy Stott in a box.  :lol: 

it seems to make anything you put into it come out sounding even better, but that could be just the examples they were using. 

they seem to have put a lot of thought into the 8 distortion circuit designs and how they are eq'd. the envelope follower & how it can be routed really adds a lot. (one of my long standing octatrack requests is having an envelope follower as a mod source.)

but i imagined if you started using this on everything it would start to get pretty tiresome & samey sounding. and the price... forget it.

maybe i will pick one of these up used down the road.

anyway, enough analog. octatrack 2 or physical modelling synth next pls.

it does sound nice. i can see a lot of producers who record bands and mix etc grabbing it. there's a lot of tonal shaping there and having lot's of flavors is something those people relish.  i think people looking to "warm up" sounds will dig it and mangling stuff with it looks fun. 

still not something i'll buy but it's a nice thing. 

i did notice in the sonic lab video every time nick commented on the bass - "this sub just came in" - that when they went back to the pic of the Heat that the bass eq was at max so.. er.. of course there will be bass when going from dry to wet when the EQ is just turned all the way up right? 

really though.. if they just made an 8 channel mixer with three flavors of the saturation at the input (no mic pres) and basic EQ and a couple sends they'd probably sell a lot of them. 

Archived