IGNORED

Mr. Oizo - All Wet

Squee

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End Of The World got me opening the "massive disappointment" thread few weeks ago and it still doesn't impress me very much...

Did not heard the song ft. Siriusmo yet, but now I definitely don't feel the usual fun or silliness in Oizo's tracks. It sounds as if he forced himself doing the typical Mr Oizo sounds festival crowds are expecting him to play. I mean, the text-to-speech spitting non-sense was fun for one, two albums maximum.

Maybe my expectations were quite high after The Church, which imo is an almost perfect blend of club-friendly and IDM-ish Oizo.

Did not heard the song ft. Siriusmo yet, but now I definitely don't feel the usual fun or silliness in Oizo's tracks.

You should check 2:20 in the album sampler video above for some funny silliness. :D

Also, "All Wet (ft. Siriusmo)" is probably my favorite of the bunch so far. Yeah, overall the whole thing seems a bit more commercial than your typical Mr Oizo, but still quite good, imo.

End Of The World got me opening the "massive disappointment" thread few weeks ago and it still doesn't impress me very much...

Did not heard the song ft. Siriusmo yet, but now I definitely don't feel the usual fun or silliness in Oizo's tracks. It sounds as if he forced himself doing the typical Mr Oizo sounds festival crowds are expecting him to play. I mean, the text-to-speech spitting non-sense was fun for one, two albums maximum.

Maybe my expectations were quite high after The Church, which imo is an almost perfect blend of club-friendly and IDM-ish Oizo.

yeah was adding the LP in apple music some weeks ago and deleted it right away

The thing about Oizo's style is that it just sounds stupid on normal speakers. But if you play his stuff at clubs it's fucking amazing!

I should give it a try on loud speakers

i listened to the first few tracks (that Peaches track LOL) and skipped around the rest

what a bland piece of shit

wtf oizo

this must be the most boring/underwhelming release of 2016

The thing about Oizo's style is that it just sounds stupid on normal speakers. But if you play his stuff at clubs it's fucking amazing!

I disagree, Moustache and Lambs Anger blew me away when I heard them, even tho I listened to them on the computer speakers/shitty earbuds I had at the time. The songs were just good, there was an extra something in it I don't find in those previews.

But don't get me wrong, I'm a Mr. Oizo fan as well, just a bit disappointed with what I've heard so far. I'll give it a listen on Spotify and hope I'll be proved wrong !

Sounds like Boyz Noize did ten years ago.. which is funny because he was taught how to engineer by Ozio. 

Kinda tired sounding in the arrangement - but I like the sounds and crazy ass compression. Them frenchy-house guys love them super squashed kick and bass. It thumps over a system.  :datboi:

Sounds like a mid-life crisis.

"featuring Mid-Life Crisis" isn't one of the songs? 

i came across this release yesterday. quite missable really. very commercial. sounds tired to me. doesn't have the flavor of his earlier stuff.. but ya know.. everyone's gotta make a living. 

There are indeed some boring,mainstreamy tracks and its not so weird like what he´s done before but it still has the unique Oizo sound and no one can beat that.

If i would describe it with one word I would say its a "cool " record like what you would listen to driving with a cabriolet around L.A .

also the tracks end better then how they started so listen till the end.

best example "All Wet feat Siriusmo" at the end it sounds like Boards of Canada.

I'm closer to Siberia than I am to LA, so no go :(

Anyway this LP was overall more engaging and colorful to me than I was expecting. It introduces newer contemporary elements while retaining the traditional Oizo funk throughout. Also the pixelated Atari 2600-like Flat Eric album cover reminds me a little of Exai's. Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no.

introduces newer contemporary elements 

which to me reads as "cheesy" or "commercial" for a target audience.  but hey.. music is a business so why not. 

but probably it's just stuff he's into and collaborations "featuring" everyone do happen.  i'm guessing i thought about that more while making this post than he did while making the album. 

which to me reads as "cheesy" or "commercial" for a target audience.  but hey.. music is a business so why not. 

but probably it's just stuff he's into and collaborations "featuring" everyone do happen.  i'm guessing i thought about that more while making this post than he did while making the album. 

I'd imagine though he'd have to strike a balance as how he'd evolve as an artist. Three years ago Trent Reznor got clowned on here because for the most part his style changed little since about 2005. If Quentin Dupieux hadn't changed his approach at all with each new release, wouldn't his audience take it as boring and stale? I'm not saying he needs a complete overhaul in what he does, but I think it's natural for artists to be forced to adapt with changing times, at least to a degree where they don't seem oblivious. I'm definitely not suggesting he become some sellout pop artist, but at the same time I don't think he wants to be left in the dust.

I'd imagine though he'd have to strike a balance as how he'd evolve as an artist. Three years ago Trent Reznor got clowned on here because for the most part his style changed little since about 2005. If Quentin Dupieux hadn't changed his approach at all with each new release, wouldn't his audience take it as boring and stale? I'm not saying he needs a complete overhaul in what he does, but I think it's natural for artists to be forced to adapt with changing times, at least to a degree where they don't seem oblivious. I'm definitely not suggesting he become some sellout pop artist, but at the same time I don't think he wants to be left in the dust.

i understand what you're saying.  i think many artists just have to think like that.  "i don't want to be left in the dust.. what are the kids into these days? ok.. call that guy let's do a track with him". it's a very business like way to approach it.  there could be very present 'bottom line' issues in this scenario.  connecting with new fans.  marketing, feeling relevant or whatever.

reading the comments on youtube for the skrillex featured track.. all the talk is about skrillex from skrillex fans who are upset about it being a different style and then saying things like "well skrillex can't just make the same music over and over again so it's inevitable he'll make music in different styles and try things out".. which to me is just awful to think about.  i guess that's what people do these days.. make music in a style until they're bored or no one likes it then they try to sound like burial.. then they make ambient music or something.. 

not everyone can just make music and fans will buy it regardless and have that be that... sit down in the studio and whatever comes out is what comes out. it's gotta be this that or the other thing. it's really kind of sad to think about. 

i own one Mr Oizo album. i think it's the first one. something about worms attacking?  i checked out his other releases as they were released and didn't care for them. i was having a hate fest on that sound at the time really. boysnoize and all that.. just a big cheese dick turn off to me. i know it resonated with lot's of people but i felt like it was popular so a lot of people doing different stuff tried to pull bits of that sound into their thing and it seemed like some stuff i enjoyed got corrupted or something. shrug. whatevers.. as said.. everyone's got to make a living. 

Archived