IGNORED

Ableton Link open source

Rubin Farr

this is open source with a prohibitive license. Call me when I don't have to sign an NDA with Ableton to use it in a commercial app.

Open source has always been pretty dicey to be honest, right from its beginning as a splinter faction of the Free Software movement who wanted to strip away as much of the ideological framework as possible and turn it in to a business-friendly counterpart to Free Software.  Good things have come out of the Open Source world of course, but at its root fundamental goal of Open Source is free labor.

In the popular imagination "open source" and :commercial" are diametrically opposed, but in reality they aren't at all, and are often very closely intertwined.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

My point was, it's cool to see all of these softwares playing nice together while minimizing interfacing, that helps collaboration, improvisation, and live performance / jamming.  Local / indie label / bandcamp musicians can put on group performances easier, and just ordinary Joes like teens can explore their creativity while hanging out, or whatever they call it these days, lol.

I'm cool with sharing any code even if i'm not a fan of the code style. Compared to most companies, this is a welcomed step for me in the right direction.

Archived