IGNORED

Youtube hires Lyor Cohen as global head of music

Nebraska

Cohen will be YouTube’s first “Global Head of Music.” YouTube doesn’t spell out what that role will entail, but presumably he will work as an emissary to both music acts and music labels, in the same way that Jimmy Iovine does at Apple, and Troy Carter does at Spotify.

3964582806a211e28fa722000a1fbcea_7-500x3

http://www.recode.net/2016/9/28/13097724/youtube-lyor-cohen-300-fetty-wap

Quick - what's his email address so we can look at the emails to see what they have planned :dadjoke:

funny you should say that. lyor cohen famously learned how to use computers around the time he formed 300 entertainment. 

is YouTube as a music platform actually a thing...?

It certainly isn't in Germany, almost all music is blocked due to GEMA (licensing) disagreements here.

E.g. even WARP records official account doesn't stream here.

I mean it's good for old VHS rips of old live stuff from TV etc, but these are basically infringing uploads innit..

is YouTube as a music platform actually a thing...?

Actually the biggest I'd say. Most young people go straight to Youtube for music. Spotify seems to be an alternative from what I've seen.

Obviously I'm talking about non-music enthusiasts, we're in the minority here.

^I thought that for the longest time but just this year I've happily listened to full albums on youtube. Usually obscure stuff if it happens to be up after I've read about it, and then the autoplay function is pretty amazing. Will happily listen like it's the radio for a few hours like that.

I also have a playlist with close to 100 albums in it, usually from when someone links me something and I don't want to listen right away.

There's a ton of music on youtube. You can look up practically any album. It's not the greatest quality, obviously, but you can find and listen to it.

YouTube Music even has an app...

It must just me being old, but I can't find myself listening to music on YouTube - music videos, yes, but not just music. It's like TV on the radio (ha).

I dated one girl whose entire music collection was ripped from YouTube. I knew that relationship was doomed.

The slave master is getting a seat of power outside his industry.

this is gonna turn out badly

yeah, seems pretty shady. As long as they leave along all the unlicensed by the big boys music. Which is most of the music that has any value on youtube imO. We'll be safe. It's just too financially difficult for them to look up every joey bloggs that produced a disco 7 inch to try and get licencing that this guy will be policing major and sub major stuff and leaving the gems alone. Well me hopes. If not there are new video streaming services popping up.

It must just me being old, but I can't find myself listening to music on YouTube - music videos, yes, but not just music. It's like TV on the radio (ha).

I dated one girl whose entire music collection was ripped from YouTube. I knew that relationship was doomed.

You dated a 14 year old?

You dated a 14 year old?

14 year old girls know how to rip clips from youtube now ? /saved you rubin, owe me a beer bruv.

Dammit, I looked at this and for an instant I thought it said Leonard Cohen had been hired as head of global music. Oh well, least he's got a new single out. Leonard, not Lyor, it's actually pretty good.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've discovered a lot of great music that is right up my alley thanks to Youtube recommendations tracking my every move.  Then I will go out and buy the relevant CD.

yeah, it looks at likes by people that liked by people that liked what you like or watched. And it's not biased due to pay for play when you're looking at obscure stuff all the time and never clicking through to some vevo crud, so it can be a useful recommendation tool. Advertising done right.

Archived