beautiful 2nd ep. they copied that thing the main nolan bro does a lot in his films where the same music continues throughout several relatively quick scenes, works really well here. i also really like how they keep constantly breaking up a scene with some kind of robot maintenance or readjustment just when something strange is beginning to develop, that sense of never really getting you into that world where the robots live in and constantly messing up with it is really interesting stylistically.

Great second episode. I'm so glad this isn't some Netflix or Amazon Prime thing. I would have binge watched this whole thing already.

Totally addictive TV.

beautiful 2nd ep. they copied that thing the main nolan bro does a lot in his films where the same music continues throughout several relatively quick scenes, works really well here. i also really like how they keep constantly breaking up a scene with some kind of robot maintenance or readjustment just when something strange is beginning to develop, that sense of never really getting you into that world where the robots live in and constantly messing up with it is really interesting stylistically.

yeah, i noticed that too with the first ep (coming in here where there may be spoilers i'm risking it, heh, didn't know the next one was out already, so i've already scored). Whether it's intentional or due to the necessity for plot flow and development, the result is that it adds an interesting dynamic to the viewing experience. /orsumdleetbsheh

You get the feeling watching this show that they are alluding to the idea that the park itself is enormous - maybe the size of a small country. There are obviously going to many story threads running by the time it gets to season three.

yeh getting a bit of a Lost feeling.. two episodes in and it's sprawling already, just feels a lot more thoughtful and under control.

but they'll be able to inject new characters at any time out of nowhere, and the park itself limitless as they say...hopefully there's a master plan preventing them from going bonkers with the plot..

I liked the bit with Hopkins and the kid, looks like he designed him as himself as a child. The bit with Maeve running around the facility freaking out was great too. Sounds like someone else is definitely playing around with the robots, trying to awaken them, leaving clues and prodding them into realisations. I wonder if the Ed Harris plotline will link up with the main storyline much, is it just a hidden level in the game, or part of the deeper machinations that are going on? It might be enough to keep showing him up as a cunt, just so we can all cheer when some robot eventually kills him. The head of narrative guy is definitely going to meet an unhappy end before this finishes too. 

tbh.... tbh I think this will turn out to be a bit shit.. it's riding a lot of cliches with the characters.. it also seems the target audience is mainly dudebros. Fulfills a lot of ladies-are-the-victims fantasies. The new introvert guest character is gonna be a dumb as fuck hero rescuing the princess maybe.. dunno. Either that or the show is *really* cleverly subverting this, but imho unlikely..? Dunno.

I'm not sure about this now after ep2. It has some good stuff and some bad. It seems to be wallowing in it's own morality too much. That English actor who plays the guy developing the storylines is a one dimensional sack of shit and a really, really bad actor. I knew I'd seen him in something else, it was The Devil Inside where he was playing a highly strung preacher doing one last exorcism to cast out a demon. He was awful in that by overacting, he's doing the same here. You know he will be killed soon by one of the hosts, but he should be less shit and have some subtlety in his performance.

Just watched both episodes and I'm impressed. Both the visuals and dialog are dense with meaning and suggestion and it doesn't feel like there's much extraneous fat to be trimmed, even with the lavish budget. At least, yeah, so far. It also looks nice.

I disagree a bit with the consensus on the opening theme - while it's not the most memorable theme, the juxtaposition between the theme itself and the visuals is interesting. Watch the skeletal robot hands playing the piano - there is a part where the piano is doubling the melody over 2 octaves, then shortly after is a female humanoid riding a horse, and her long hair moves in parallel with the horse's tail.

I'm interested to see what happens with Jimmi Simpson's character. I really liked him in House of Cards. I also hope he doesn't end up falling for the damsel in distress cliche. At least in the production/engineering team facet of the storyline, the women are definitely not helpless - Knudsen and Woodward's characters seem at least as powerful as the men they work with. I hope this part of the story continues to develop. 

They sure seem to be leaving their options open for now - they could go for cliches and rake in more money or they could be a little more brave and subvert it. I hope they choose the latter because this could still be a really interesting show.

Also, I appreciate its portrayal of the technology the human employees use. Contrast with Mr. Robot which constantly reminds you how accurate it is, how they've done their homework, almost pandering. Here the interfaces are somewhat far-fetched, but they're more ergonomic and appropriate for the tasks at hand - physical heads that the sculptor can touch, diagnosing and calibrating the androids' behavior in a conversational way, etc.

some terrible acting in this. the game designer guy is horrible. lots of bad writing. was laughing a lot at the completely out of nowhere level of swearing that one girl who is testing the robots uses. it was like a bad hentai dub, fuck every other word. overall i like this show and it's extremely watchable but it's also really really dumb.

The second episode wasn't as cohesive in it's transitioning between scenes and in the character interaction and i wasn't overall impressed with everything that was happening, like that operating table scene was handled clunkyly when it could have been amazing. It's still setups for what's going to happen down the track i spose. We'll see if it matters that this episode wasn't so fab. There were some scenes that i thought were good, like the transition from the suit up room to what you thought was a bar, but then it started moving and you realise that it was a train. Continuity wise that scene doesn't work out cause that guy's friend was going to be fucking the changing room bots and so would have arrived on the train after the more gentle guy that just as far as we could tell, got changed and that was it. I also liked how the glass next to Ed Harris smashed when the protagonist in the mexican village bar shot at Harris but missed. It was a nice little detail that reminded you that there is live fire going on, it's just that the guns must be designed to not expel bullets or the bullets must disintegrate before hitting a customer. This means that something could possibly go very wrong from that angle as well.

The section I like most was towards the end when Ford is explaining why people return to the park. They don't come back fro cheap thrills. They want subtleties and detail. 

If it was me, I think I'd just settle for this.

H20aZX4u.jpg

Obviously.

Also, has anyone else noticed in episode 1, the scene where they go down the escalator on the basement level? It looks like an abandoned shopping mall. There is a metal globe in one shot with the word 'Delos' written on it.

That's kind of weird because in the original 1973 movie, the place was called Delos.

**Edit.

It's no big secret.

http://www.slashfilm.com/westworld-map-and-contract/

Edited by fumi

I enjoyed the second episode - loved when the asshat scenario director or whatever his job is got shut down by Hopkins.

Best line though goes to the gunslinger:

MAN: Should I get my guy to dig a little deeper?

GUNSLINGER: Well, I guess so, but it's gonna be a tight squeeze for all of you to fit in there.

DAMN. THE SASS.

I read the 60 sec interview with him in the Metro yesterday where he refers to his character as ''The Man In Black''. They are trying to make him mysterious like the man with no name, I don't think Gunslinger does him justice, he is looking for the end game. Great interview but he doesn't give much away ....