IGNORED

Oval - Popp

NI64

keen to hear the whole album, can't get much out of those samples

Cool, I actually quite like this! Refreshing since I haven't been able to get into any of the last few Oval releases at all.

I haven't kept up with Oval for the last few albums. Not that there was any disappointment, I'm just bad at getting exciting about new things.

I kind of can't believe he hasn't titled an album Popp before this. I checked it out a few days ago only because of my previous sentence and it sounded totally ridiculous and unnecessarily busy. So I preordered it.

I listened to this album once but not really sure if that's gonna happen again. There were a few tracks which seemed slightly better than most which sounded very similar and there seemed to be a few layers too many imho tbqh. Is this just some pop tunes chopped up and layered with beat repeat?

Yeah, serious Lumines vibes going on. First listen was indeed super busy, but knowing Oval, I'm excited to start breaking down the layers and figuring out how the interlocking patterns work over time.

Got vinyl woop

Ditto!

Best Oval album in years

On track 4 and it is quite marvellous
yeah thought it was trash on first listen but it's pretty good, if a little grating sounding over its entire length tbqh

edit: not vinyling

Yeah, serious Lumines vibes going on. First listen was indeed super busy, but knowing Oval, I'm excited to start breaking down the layers and figuring out how the interlocking patterns work over time.

I need to check out this game.

Got vinyl woop

Ditto!

Best Oval album in years

On track 4 and it is quite marvellous
yeah thought it was trash on first listen but it's pretty good, if a little grating sounding over its entire length tbqh

edit: not vinyling

Kind of reminds me of a CFCF, The Field, or Four Tet release - solid album, unique sound, etc. but seemingly little distinction between tracks. I really enjoyed it though, one of my favorites of the year TBH

Picked up the vinyl as well, this one is really special. A total mindfuck that I can't wait to navigate more deeply after a few consecutive listens.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived