IGNORED

How does one achieve originality while not just being compared to influences

spunktronics

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonnes of great advice in here but my thoughts are you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself..  

One thing i learnt once i stated releasing records is no matter what preconceived ideas you have of your own work, they will disappear fast once press releases and reviews come into play.  You will be lumped into some 'sound' or genre because thats what stores, people and the internet needs.  They will latch onto one aspect of your music and it will be the tag until the next record comes out..  Its annoying but its just the industry.. I learnt pretty quick it really doesnt matter what other people (especially the media) thinks..

I only people i aim to please are most importantly myself and second the label who is investing their time, reputation and money into my music.  Everything else is just a bonus as far as kind words and support goes.

But if you stay true to yourself, experiment loads, trust your intuition and continue to move forward constantly, you will without a doubt stumble into a sound that can only come from you imo.  It might take years and lots of work, often a big body of work before you start getting confidence in your own ability but it will come if thats what you really want

Archived