IGNORED

Autechre @ Royal Festival Hall

Soloman Tump

I can't write anything better than the previous posts. Incredibly loud moments, and amazing subtle stuff, sounds evolving into new sounds. I was really looking forward to this, and was not let down. An amazing experience, still thinking about it now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remembered, i could've sworn towards the end of the set i heard a snippet of that very natural sounding plucked strings bit that was at the end of krakow and maybe a couple other sets as well. It was heavily manipulated and gone before i could properly try work out if that's what it was. Any one else catch that?

Also didn't realise that tonight's the last night of the tour. Patiently awaiting soundboards now. This set would be the perfect soundtrack to the winter months.

i guess there's nothing wrong about mentioning demographics in a concert review, whatever relevance they may have, but the dogged way this guy keeps raving about "midle aged white dudes" seriously makes him look like he's got some kind of issue. is this some kind of post-trump phenomenon now? it's not like i'm feeling defensive or anything for perfectly falling into that cliché-group lol but srsly imagine it the other way around... "meh, only black girls around here"... dunno. stuff he writes about the actual music is ok, tho.

Well due to family illness (my son was rushed to a&e on Monday and was only out of hospital yesterday) I didn't go. I did however pass my ticket on to someone with idm credentials who would hopefully have appreciated it.

Glad it was a good night out peeps.

And also glad my son is home from hospital.

2016 has been topshit

A lot of people walked out, starting at the 20 minute mark, you might not have seen if you were down the front.

I'm on the soft left of the autechre spectrum (Amber and LP5 being favourites) and I found it challenging but glad I went.  Bizarrely the gf, who I dragged along, loved it.  But she also has a fetish for geeky middle aged white men and was loving the crowd also.

Hope someone managed to get a recording of that from the front stalls area,

I got one done but was up on left-hand side top stalls, so sound is more diffuse and doesn't

have the bass wallop you people at the front were getting... will sort the recording out for

reference anyhow a.s.a.p. but currently hoofing it up to Manchester for tonight's mayhem...

really cool. much more soundscapey than the AE_LIVE sets. kinda wish there were more slammin beats like that one near the middle (you know the one i mean) but it was  a hell of a journey nonetheless

nice!

lol I didn't even notice it was by Muggs. I rate him a lot but yeah, that last line seemed a bit needless/petty/agenda grinding.

I recorded so much Haswell (loved his set so much) that I ran out of room on my phone and had to delete all my music. I just left it recording when AE started. I have the first 25mins and was at the very front.

Only iphone mic though. Intend to chuck it up on YT tonight.

Hah yes I got into my sack at 01.30 and was up at 04.30 :emotawesomepm9:  But zero hangover as I only had 3 of those 187ml red wines for the whole train trip and gig.

In the end the seat was pretty good it was up on level 6 in a box with 3 other folk and looking down on all the AE minions and support acts before the lights went out was pretty cool, probably not best for the sound but as I couldn't compare I guess ignorance is bliss!

This was totally surreal, was front and middle, that sound was mindblowing... Hope someone did a good recording, even if that's impossible to capture to its full power, one moment I felt like I was being captured by Aliens using bass and sound waves to made me numb ?

I was thinking of writing a descriptive essay on the different emotions and visuals that were being conjured up while I sat there in the dark. But it would just sound pretentious hogwash. One thing thing I get a lot from their music is the sound of a alien submarine (like The Nautius) and all the systems have failed and the ship is slowly sinking through the dark ocean, getting deeper and deeper and then finally resting on the seabed. Then the ship and all its ancient alien technology is slowly rusting, decaying and corroding to the vastness of the ocean. The ghost voices of the sailors are also echoing within their underwater tombs. All this is happening on a HR Giger alien planet, not Earth.

Thats what I heard and observered while sitting in the dark.

Guest bitroast

Bizarrely the gf, who I dragged along, loved it.  But she also has a fetish for geeky middle aged white men and was loving the crowd also.

lol

hoping for the AELIVE recordings now/soon :^) 

(( or better yet .. AE_down under !! ))

I flew over from Dublin for the Bristol gig and this. I was right in the middle in front of the desk for Bristol, and in the Festival Hall was seated at the right end of the 4th row of the rear stalls. So I got a better immersive stereo experience in Bristol, but it was that bit louder in the Festival Hall, and impossible not to be forcibly drawn into it. Might have been down to the location or my mood but the earlier part of the London gig felt very (musically) dark to me in a way Bristol didn't. Glad to have gotten a double dose of it though, both gigs were incredible.

Haswell was great - sloppy and fun, loud and confrontational but I hereby deem anyone who couldn't take it to be wimps and posers! He and Maddocks contextually framed AE in an interesting way I thought. 

Expected it to be (visually) darker somehow. Was occasionally a bit distracted by the people leaving and wondering what the deal was with them.

lol I didn't even notice it was by Muggs. I rate him a lot but yeah, that last line seemed a bit needless/petty/agenda grinding.

I recorded so much Haswell (loved his set so much) that I ran out of room on my phone and had to delete all my music. I just left it recording when AE started. I have the first 25mins and was at the very front.

Only iphone mic though. Intend to chuck it up on YT tonight.

Thanks for that. It was some extreme modular balloons deflating at 110 dB. Finally finished Flight From Hell recently too.

all up and consolidated now

• 2 weeks later...

Archived