IGNORED

Autechre @ Kraftwerk Berlin Nov 19 2016

I was there, the set was pretty beatless. Some amazing sounds in there for sure.  there was one moment with a rolling 909 style beat that my girl and I started dancing to that was mind blowing.  Some guy next to us kept yelling SEAN PLS. lol

assorted impressions:

- Maddocks was pretty cool, gnarly distorted obscure Skam kinda stuff

- really enjoyed Haswell this time around, plugged ears for the second half of his set. The strobes were pretty cool,

- overall atmosphere was very good. They had properly heated up the large space, most people were friendly and fully into ae. Lighting was good without overdoing it.

- main sound system was perfectly adequate. Line-array stacks ca 5-6meters high. Was standing in a good spot pretty much exactly in the ideal stereo triangle. For this massive concrete structure I doubt the sound could have been much, if any better.

- can't even try and describe the ae set. But seems to me this is their most detailed, lush, crystalline and well-composed work yet. There were moments where I kind of fell out of the immersion and thought "oh this isn't that great now is it" but a minute later it was completely engulfing in an entirely unexpected new space....... Listened to the Oslo one before going to sleep last night, and thought maybe 50/60% was quite the same, the other 50 entirely not! Might be mind tricks dunno.

- ae must be using some pretty amazing spatialization techniques in this. There were many moments where the music sounded completely plastic, with elements seemingly warping around in 3D space.. which I first thought was crazy and maybe just the LSD? but sober friends felt the effect too.

- aftershow party was lush. Got to chat up Rob for a bit & say thanks while DJ Stingray was flipping disks two meters away and everyone was heavy into it. Dunno what could have made this night better tbh.

apt summarization by phling.

i quite like haswell and own a couple of releases without being an überfan or anything but his set was probably the most positive surprise of the evening! especially the first half seemed very structured and "musicy", really loved it. the venue itself was pretty much perfect for such this kind of lineup in terms of athmosphere, i loved how the stage looked like an industrial cathedral from the back... great lighting indeed!

sound was pretty great, way better than my last time in utrecht, which was clearer but just not LOUD enough.

as for the chre: yes, set was brilliant. the birth of funeral hop, among others. there were beats, tho mostly very slow and fractured ones, still steady pulse. was it better than the last live set tho? hard to say... i'd say purely contentwise they're pretty much on a level, apples and oranges kinda. BUT i gotta say i kinda felt the former had a bit more of a plausible dramatic "overarc", if that makes any sense... church organ part was lol and badass at the same time indeed, now i understand what everyone was on about XD... anyway REALLY glad i managed to stay strong and not spoiler the experience this time, i feel especially with this kind of abstract set the physicality of individual sounds in the spatial context of the venue is really vital to the overall listening experience (speaking of wh

dafuq? no idea why the second half of my post got erased while actualizing... uh anyway rest kinda went like this:

... ich: i got those pseudo 3D impressions, too.) stingray was 10/10 way to end the perfect evening, spotted some drexcyia from neptune's lair near the beginning of his set. nice.

only bummer: waited woith merch til the ending for not having to carry shit around all the time but by then all the tour posters which they gave oit for free with every purchase were out :I ... if maybe someone got a spare *cough*...?

joeyblush, on 20 Nov 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:snapback.png

Some guy next to us kept yelling SEAN PLS. lol

*blushes*

phling, on 20 Nov 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:snapback.png

- can't even try and describe the ae set. But seems to me this is their most detailed, lush, crystalline and well-composed work yet. There were moments where I kind of fell out of the immersion and thought "oh this isn't that great now is it" but a minute later it was completely engulfing in an entirely unexpected new space....... Listened to the Oslo one before going to sleep last night, and thought maybe 50/60% was quite the same, the other 50 entirely not! Might be mind tricks dunno.

i ripped this from a cassette i found in the venue's toilet, you might wanna compare it to its content: https://www.wetransf...20035222/2b7308

Thanks for posting the recording !

It was a good gig. The place was way better exploited than in Berlin Atonal this summer (was there the evening with Yves de Mey), light and sound, and people were cool and here for AE, clearly. [ Just been a little disturbed by a girl who recorded all the show...and talking at the same time ! (whyyyy ?)]

I didn't appreciate Haswell on Brussels 2015, but really liked it at Kraftwerk. It was perfect here, in a power station with lot of white light.

I found AE set different than Ghent. Harder at the beginning, less quiet moments. I think it's linked to the room's accoustic that they managed very well, infra bass were astonishing and spatialization pretty good ! Never felt bass that way before ! I really liked the first part and the last 15 minutes.

Shit, I went of 3 gigs on the tour and...3 times different feeling/atmosphere. Tourcoing was dancing and fast, Ghent emotional and Berlin...dunno, you described it better than me ! 

Listening at bootlegs ofother gigs, am I the only one surprised by the variety of the sets ? Far more than 2015 european tour ? Some parts are commons, tour signature, but every set sounds like a new experience ! It's not tracks, not album,...they are creating several hours of sound masterpiece. fascinating approach

3 gigs and I still want more…they made me a fanboy/groupie buying shirts and taking flights  :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived